PC Gamer Proclaims Dual Shock 4 Best Controller for PC Gaming

monkeymagick

[H]News
Now, I'm sure most will agree that KB & M is the far superior method for controls on the PC, but when it comes to certain games -- mainly console-style -- that may not always be the case. PC Gamer did some testing and have declared the Dual Shock 4 as the best controller suited for PC gaming. The criteria for "best" were comfort, control and compatibility with PC gaming.

I, myself play Street Fighter with the keyboard on PCs and use joysticks sometimes when playing platformers such as Super Meat Boy.

There are tons of controllers out there to try, including the Mad Catz Pro I mentioned, but for now I'm very confident in recommending the DualShock 4. Sony is far from new to this game, and its years of R&D show. Meanwhile, tinkerers have made reliable tools to get it working on the PC with loads of customization options.

The DS4 is, by far, the best version of the dual shock and a decent controller over-all, but no. The XB1 pad and 360 pad are the best PC controllers. At least for me. The layout is much better, the shoulder buttons feel better, and the controllers themselves feel more sturdy. The PS4 controller feels miles better than the cheap ass feeling DS3, but they still don't feel quite as solid as MS' controllers.

Best controller that apparently "Requires unofficial software tool to work on PC". Maybe the software is good, but one of the things the Xbox controller has going for it is that it is plug and play and works in practically every game flawlessly. And seamlessly between mouse / keyboard. At this point MS has a huge lead, as more or less any game from 2008-2009 will work with an Xbox controller, but it would be nice if Sony's offering became as compatible out of the box. Since most games already use it (like the Xbox controller) it may as well be an option. Of course, don't skimp on mouse / keyboard controls.

Best controller that apparently "Requires unofficial software tool to work on PC". Maybe the software is good, but one of the things the Xbox controller has going for it is that it is plug and play and works in practically every game flawlessly. And seamlessly between mouse / keyboard. At this point MS has a huge lead, as more or less any game from 2008-2009 will work with an Xbox controller, but it would be nice if Sony's offering became as compatible out of the box. Since most games already use it (like the Xbox controller) it may as well be an option. Of course, don't skimp on mouse / keyboard controls.

Not disagreeing that the Xbox controller is a better plug and play option, but as far as I'm aware, this has always been an issue of the game developers not bothering to support the DS4 natively, rather than a lack of compatibility on Sony's part.

However, some newer games seem to be including native DS4 support and I've also read that Steam now does the same thing DS4Windows does, i.e. make games think the DS4 is an Xbox controller. Additionally, any games with native support for the Steam controller will automatically adjust to show the correct button prompts, whatever type of controller you plug in.

Since when is installing software a hurdle for a pc enthusiast?
I've been using my ds3s for years with scptool service. Installed it once using a Bluetooth dongle. Never had any issues with it. Works very well.
It's the only thing I used from my PS3 the last few years.

Steam Controller Ftw!!!

dropped my mouse and keyboard far FAR away

While I find it handy as a mouse replacement in the living room I've honestly never been able to get into the steam controller as a game controller.

Nothing beats the mouse and keyboard under most circumstances. It's an accurate and efficient way of communicating with a computer.

I do love the ds4 design, however the xb1 controller does have a superior build quality.

If you pick up a duoshock then pick up a elite right after you will use the elite. The only problem I seen with the elite on eBay the left right bumpers the paint can come off but that is if you game and sweat at the same time and play lots.

I can't see dropping the Xbox 360 controller I have now for anything (except maybe the XB1 controller if the 360 dies). I have a PS4...no way I'd use that controller over the XB360.

I used both XBox one and DS4 controller and I will say both have their cons and pros.

The fact that XBox one is plug and play while DS4 needs a 3rd party software to get working is, on the surface, a plus on the XBox One, but the DS4windows is more than just a driver and a backend convertor for DS4, it does much more, and in some aspects does better than Steam's controller mapping.

For example, I can manually remap the buttons on a per-game basis to get around some games not allowing remapping of certain functions. My personal example is Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, as I came from just finishing Aria of Sorrow, I couldn't remap the confirmation button at all in the game, but I could easily with a combination of DS4windows and remapping the buttons in the game.

For emulators, I use DS4 primarily because using Joystick on the Xbox one feels unnaturale, I prefer using the Joypad on the DS4 for that reason. The extra buttons on the touchpad is also a plus when used with DS4windows.

One thing I definitely would not use DS4 for is if the game allows for a 360 degree rotation (rather than a set number of directions), the joystick is in a poor place on the DS4, I use Xbox one for that, but for emulators and platformers, DS4 all day every day.

Reactions: blkt
like this
KB/M for most of my stuff on PC. But I do defer to the XBO-Elite controller when I play console based games such as GTA-V.

Holding the PS4 controller properly makes you feel like your wrists are handcuffed, they are an archaic design that Sony refuses to update...my guess...because for the Japanese whos averages are leaner, narrower shouldered human beings than us bulky Americans or Europeans, it's a non-issue. In other words, the controller is fine for them...for us slouchers, it feels awkward. I constantly have to re-adjust my grip on the PS4, its smaller design is just a little harder to grip.

Xbox ran away with the perfect ergo joypad years ago.

The main reason I have a xbox one controller is for driving games/ driving part in games like GTA.
They claimed the dual shock is better because the "triggers" travel shorter and being more tactile. Bullshit. It is terrible for driving games. Because there's less control between nothing and full throttle. Unlike these idiots, I'd never use a controller for shooters.

It took 3 people to test all of those sub par controllers what a waste......they should of just sent me over and do the controller test throw the controller against a wall and see if it breaks.

Last edited:
Switching from a XB360 to XB1 controller made me better at Dark Souls

I don't think anything else needs to be said

/thread

Reactions: DPI
like this
Pulls out the Dual Shock and hooks up to PC. Starts Street Fighter V. Immediately crushes the pos controller into tiny pieces as it is crap for fighting games. The last console controller for fighting games was the Sega Saturn controller. My friends, it has been a long time since one was worthy.

I’ve always hated the PlayStation controller.

I’ve always just figured it was cause I was a Nintendo/Sega and then an Xbox kid.

Controller just has always felt weird in my hands.

I have issues with both but prefer the DS4, for sure, over the 360 and X1 controllers just due to the feeling of them.

I love my DS4 on PC. Only REAL issue I have with the DS4 is that, after a while, the Bluetooth on my PC always starts to act up to the point that my DS4 won't connect at all. Might be a Windows or Bluetooth driver/stability thing, I dunno, but I know that I seem to ALWAYS have this issue at SOME point...no matter what system it is. Seriously I've had like 7 BT adapters of some kind all seemingly do the same shit after a few months. This also happened with my DS3's too...so probably just BT issue.

As an aside, anyone else feel that Bluetooth outside of the occasional audio streaming is complete and utter shit? Even on my Galaxy S8 my Dual Shock 4's refuse to stay properly connected. BT is like the Skype of hardware...it's been around forever, everyone uses it, it's super popular, but yet its still...somehow...complete and utter shit.

Anyways, as for the X1 controller...it's easier to plug and play for sure but not as customizable due to lack of software. I also have this MAJOR issue where Steam and/or Geforce Experience causes my X1 controller to not be able to reconnect after it shuts off the first time. In other words, it works fine the first time I use it, if it idles and turns off I have to restart my PC to get it to connect again. That's a pain.

Also I think the L1 and R1 shoulder buttons on the X1 controller are the worse placed ones ever. Painful to use really. Controller is also smaller feeling. Meh, don't really care for it.

Pulls out the Dual Shock and hooks up to PC. Starts Street Fighter V. Immediately crushes the pos controller into tiny pieces as it is crap for fighting games. The last console controller for fighting games was the Sega Saturn controller. My friends, it has been a long time since one was worthy.

Nah, you just need to calm the fuck down and realize that pressing HARDER and being ROUGHER with your controller nets you ZERO gains. Pressing that left stick to the right as hard as you can like He-Man is just as effective as a toddler pushing the stick gently to the right. The controllers are fine, it's your Hulk mentality with fighting games that's the problem apparently.

I do love the ds4 design, however the xb1 controller does have a superior build quality.
I tried a couple playthroughs of Dark Souls 3 each with a Xbox One controller and DS4, and the Xbox controller just felt better in the hands by the end of each playthrough.

Last edited:
For all the haters out there that didn't bother to do a simple google search before posting misinformation, Dualshock 4 IS OFFICIALLY supported in Windows. You need their wireless adaptor to make it work properly, but you need a wireless adaptor for Xbox as well. Here's the link to the product:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/e...controllers/dualshock-4-usb-wireless-adaptor/

Is this not just a BT dongle though? Is there something different about it? Might look into it if it fixes my connectivity problem.

For all the haters out there that didn't bother to do a simple google search before posting misinformation, Dualshock 4 IS OFFICIALLY supported in Windows. You need their wireless adaptor to make it work properly, but you need a wireless adaptor for Xbox as well. Here's the link to the product:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/e...controllers/dualshock-4-usb-wireless-adaptor/

Yes, but does it make it compatible for XInput games or is it just another "joystick" to the OS?

would like to be able to use my Switch Pro Controller... ;)

question though, if you use a DS4 do the button prompts in games reflect the right buttons? IE square, triangle, etc - not X, Y, A... ?

I used to use a DS2 usb dongle back in the day but hated having to remember what "button 1, 2, 3, 4" were...

The DS4 is plug-and-play on Windows 10, but some games require an Xinput wrapper to make it work. More and more games are supporting the DS4 out of the box these days, though.

Never used a DS4, but the DS3 for my PS3 just never did it for me. Hands always felt cramped, as they are bigger than average. I had to eventually get one of those little USB modules that allow you to use any peripheral for your console. Ended up getting the 360 controller. That was a design that is pretty much the epitome of how a controller should be.

The XB1 controller is even better. Just wish they'd kept the sticks the same size.

While I find it handy as a mouse replacement in the living room I've honestly never been able to get into the steam controller as a game controller.

Nothing beats the mouse and keyboard under most circumstances. It's an accurate and efficient way of communicating with a computer.

doAyjna.png
My steam Controller in its glory.

My last console was ps1 and didn't last long until i bought my own PC and never went back!
Steam Controller just gave me what I truly wanted Exactly.! keyboard\Mouse super super customization, Community sharing, Steam Logo <3 that lights up!! so sick!

yes, if its competitive FPS shooter online game , than yes keyboard and mouse.

anything else everything else just Steam Controller.!

Reactions: DPI
like this
I've never liked the PS layout (way too awkward on the thumb), thank you MS for the xbox controller layout.

Anyways, as for the X1 controller...it's easier to plug and play for sure but not as customizable due to lack of software. I also have this MAJOR issue where Steam and/or Geforce Experience causes my X1 controller to not be able to reconnect after it shuts off the first time.
Probably Geforce Experience :)

I assume you use ds4windows to customize your DS4, x360ce works fine to customize your xbox (and whatever else) controllers.

Is this not just a BT dongle though? Is there something different about it? Might look into it if it fixes my connectivity problem.

Well, yes and no. It IS bluetooth, but with whatever proprietary protocol Sony uses. Like others have mentioned, you CAN use standard bluetooth with a 3rd party unsupported driver...but this is the "plug and play" way of making it work.

I have issues with both but prefer the DS4, for sure, over the 360 and X1 controllers just due to the feeling of them.

I love my DS4 on PC. Only REAL issue I have with the DS4 is that, after a while, the Bluetooth on my PC always starts to act up to the point that my DS4 won't connect at all. Might be a Windows or Bluetooth driver/stability thing, I dunno, but I know that I seem to ALWAYS have this issue at SOME point...no matter what system it is. Seriously I've had like 7 BT adapters of some kind all seemingly do the same shit after a few months. This also happened with my DS3's too...so probably just BT issue.

As an aside, anyone else feel that Bluetooth outside of the occasional audio streaming is complete and utter shit? Even on my Galaxy S8 my Dual Shock 4's refuse to stay properly connected. BT is like the Skype of hardware...it's been around forever, everyone uses it, it's super popular, but yet its still...somehow...complete and utter shit.

Anyways, as for the X1 controller...it's easier to plug and play for sure but not as customizable due to lack of software. I also have this MAJOR issue where Steam and/or Geforce Experience causes my X1 controller to not be able to reconnect after it shuts off the first time. In other words, it works fine the first time I use it, if it idles and turns off I have to restart my PC to get it to connect again. That's a pain.

Also I think the L1 and R1 shoulder buttons on the X1 controller are the worse placed ones ever. Painful to use really. Controller is also smaller feeling. Meh, don't really care for it.

Nah, you just need to calm the fuck down and realize that pressing HARDER and being ROUGHER with your controller nets you ZERO gains. Pressing that left stick to the right as hard as you can like He-Man is just as effective as a toddler pushing the stick gently to the right. The controllers are fine, it's your Hulk mentality with fighting games that's the problem apparently.
Incorrect. The button layout is 100% failure for Fighting games.
If you would like a correction: https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting-Commander-Controller-PlayStation-4/dp/B00TKLFES8 try this. Finger pressure has nothing to do with it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
use both a ds4 and steam controler on mine. but thats only for certian games. rts and fps kb and mouse ands ratzpad only for me:)

seriously tho hard ocp need to make a niversary h00000000ge ratzpad for us long time users

do you still need to run 3rd party software to get the DualShock controller to work properly in Windows?...or is now a simple plug and play like the Xbox controllers?

I used to use a 360 controller, and I still have mine, but I got a DS4 controller which is a big improvement over the 360 controller. The D-pad on the 360 controller is unusable, it's that bad. The D-pad on the Xb1 controller is still pretty bad, and not as good as the D-pad on the DS4 controller.

The thumb-pad / D-pad layouts on the Xbox and DS4 controllers feature trade-offs, but overall, I think the DS4 gets it more right. In addition to the D-pad quality on the Bbox controllers being bad, the placement of it also makes it unpleasant to use. The left D-pad on the DS4 controller isn't in a bad spot, for me.

The build quality of the DS4 controller is better than the 360 controller's build quality, and the DS4's buttons and triggers aren't as noisy as the 360 controllers, and the buttons are easier to press on the DS4 controller than they are on the 360 controller, which I've always found ridiculously stiff and relatively difficult to press in rapid succession.

The DS4 controller has advantages for the PC over the Xb1 controller - specifically, it has the mouse track pad, which can single-click, double-click, click-and-drag, and pretty much anything else that a regular mouse can do. So, there are more button and control options on the DS4.

I haven't spent a lot of time with the XB1 controller, but I didn't notice that its D-pad is still not perfect in its straight-down detection (neither is the DS4, but it's better), and I think I felt that it still had overly stiff buttons. Maybe I'll check out the Xb1 controller again sometime.

Back