PC for $200

Zer0Cool

Limp Gawd
So my father asked me if I can build him 3-4 computers for work for about $200 each. I told him that I would need to do some research, and here I am :)

PC will be used for Browsing and basic windows games like solitary...etc. Also for transferring photos from cam to pc and vice versa.

NewEgg is my primary source, if anyone have time to help me with the build I would appreciate it.

Thanks

In that price range, your best bet would be a nettop:
$200 - Acer Aspire Revo AR1600-U910H Intel Atom 230(1.6GHz) 1GB DDR2 160GB NVIDIA ION LE graphics Windows XP Home

Why 3 or 4 computers at $200 each? Why not 1 or 2 at $400 each?

I would also go with a nettop. Small, cheap, uses very little power, but can still do the things that you want.

So my father asked me if I can build him 3-4 computers for work for about $200 each. I told him that I would need to do some research, and here I am :)

PC will be used for Browsing and basic windows games like solitary...etc. Also for transferring photos from cam to pc and vice versa.

NewEgg is my primary source, if anyone have time to help me with the build I would appreciate it.

Thanks

I echo Danny's recommendations. This is because if you're buying new, you would have spent most or all of that $200 budget just on a processor, motherboard and only 2GB of RAM. And adding a hard drive, an optical drive, a case and a power supply unit would have pushed the cost to well over $300.

Last edited:
I echo Danny's recommendations. This is because if you're buying new, you would have spent most or all of that $200 budget just on a processor, motherboard and only 2GB of RAM. And adding a hard drive, an optical drive, a case and a power supply unit would have pushed the cost to well over $300.

Don't forget the cost of OS. They may or may not have four unused copies of Windows lying around.

Don't forget the cost of OS. They may or may not have four unused copies of Windows lying around.

This would have pushed the cost of a just-functional self-build to more than double the budget (and that's per PC).

for 200 bucks I think your gonna ahve to go with that net top listed above. Pretty much every other angle I can think of would be more then that. Would be able to get close using a Linux OS, but not a paid windows OS.

This would have pushed the cost of a just-functional self-build to more than double the budget (and that's per PC).

for 200 bucks I think your gonna ahve to go with that net top listed above. Pretty much every other angle I can think of would be more then that. Would be able to get close using a Linux OS, but not a paid windows OS.

Exactly.

In that price range, your best bet would be a nettop:
$200 - Acer Aspire Revo AR1600-U910H Intel Atom 230(1.6GHz) 1GB DDR2 160GB NVIDIA ION LE graphics Windows XP Home

Thank you Danny for this recommendation and everyone else for the help.

I will definitely use this as one of my options that I have now.

The reason its 4 PC's because they will be placed in an organizations for people to use. Mostly by older people.

I will definitely use this as one of my options that I have now.

Out of curiosity, what other options do you have now?

Oh and during the last few days, I was able to price out a pretty decent $200 DIY PC. Unfortunately, all of it relied on Fry's deals that were sold out by Friday afternoon/Saturday Morning and access to a MSDNAA account.

Assuming no need for monitor/windows in that 200$ price tag.

Looking at the cheapest stuff I can on newegg.
CPU:33$
Motherboard:50$
RAM:1GB 30$
HD: 50$
total: ~163$ leaving 37$ for the case , psu, mouse and keyboards.
So...yeah doable kind of.

Your best bet is to go to craig's list or ebay or something. Get some cheap used older stuff.

Seriously, Fry's is going to do you wonders. I built my budget rig using Craigslist and Fry's and I'm at less than $100.

Back