• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PC does not power on.

lotl_

n00b
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
12
My custom PC just decided to not turn on today. There is no sign of power on the system. I tried resetting the cmos and jumping the power switch, but neither worked. I am led to believe the PSU is at fault but I am able to jump start it (ocz 850). Is there anything else I can do before I rip everything out of the case?
 
I tried most of the stuff there. Already reseated the cpu, reset the cmos, cleaned the dust etc. The PC itself doesn't even power on for a bit. If the PSU is at fault, it would be a whole lot easier to replace it instead of doing a barebones test.
 
Appears there's only one chose and that is to try a different power supply.Any shop's in your area?
 
you can try hot wiring the psu too see if it comes on. It's easy, but do it at your own risk.

I can hotwire the PSU fine, but when it is connected to the mobo, nothing turns on. The lights and fans don't even come on at all. Could this be a bad motherboard?
 
I can hotwire the PSU fine, but when it is connected to the mobo, nothing turns on. The lights and fans don't even come on at all. Could this be a bad motherboard?

Well still could be the psu, but it rules out that the psu is completely dead, but could be a bad mobo also.
 
Well still could be the psu, but it rules out that the psu is completely dead, but could be a bad mobo also.

OK. After testing it with a working PSU gave the same results I began playing around with it a bit more and found that the computer will power up if I first jump ATX connector and then plug it into the mobo. This is the only way I could get the PC to start so I have no clue what is to blame here.
 
Back
Top