PC Build Help Needed

Handcokc

n00b
Well I have finally decided to upgrade to a better computer. I have a build right now that is not complete but just the basics.

Currently in this build is a cheaper video card but I really have no idea what I should be getting. I'm looking to run Crysis 2 on medium graphics and BF3 on medium or so with good FPS.The reason I went all out on the Motherboard is that in the future this will be SLI hopefully. And I don't want to really upgrade this computer for atleast a year or so. The order that this is place is the order of importance to me. The MOST important part of this computer is the ability to upgrade easily. I would love your input.

Another question im looking at is my moniter its max setting are 1440x900 60 Hz which is on the understand and this is not HDMI. So any input on that is good. This build I think (havn't checked) is around 900$ or and anything to make it a little cheaper without sacrificing to much power is great. Thanks

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Hard Core Gaming and web browsing

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
1000$ withtax and shipping

3) Where do you live?
Kansas The closest "store" that has any kind of parts that im looking for his in Kansas City which is about 100 miles away aswell so no microcenter is near

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU,RAM,Case,PSU,GPU,Motherboard

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Not for sure yet

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
My current moniter which is 1440x900 60hz

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
within 2 months

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
Crossifre/SLI, USB 3.0 not for sure about anything else

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

I'll be using a Win 7 64 bit

Cooler Master HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Mid-Tower Computer Case - ATX, mATX

Price: 49.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Price: 109.99

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme B3 RoG Edition Motherboard - Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel P67 Express, 2200Mhz DDR3 (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, SLI/CrossFire, USB 3.0, Bluetooth

Price: 369.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Price: 224.99

MSI R6870TwinFrozrIIOC Radeon HD 6870 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), HDMI, Dual DVI, 2x Mini Display Port, CrossFireX Ready, DirectX 11, Overclocked

Price: 184.99

Patriot PGV38G1333ELK Gaming i5 8GB PC10666 RAM - DDR3, 1333MHz, 2x4096MB, 9-9-9-24

Price: 69.99

Last edited:
Please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST" so that we can help you better.

Right off the bat though:
Even with your plan for SLI or Crossfire, that mobo is a waste of money. There's only a handful of situations where that mobo would be a good buy. And you haven't said anything that'll fit those situations.

OK you're planning this build way too early. Your current build list as well as most other build lists that we recommend today will not be the same build list we recommend in a month from now let alone two months.

So wait till 2-3 weeks before your purchase date and ask for advice then. That way you'll get up-to-date advice and won't get saddled with a list of outdated hardware.

*BUMP*

I have decided I will be building within the month and have changed alot of stuff around for price and etc

$189.99 GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

$189.99 AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo

$64.99 G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

$119.99 CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible

$59.99 COOLER MASTER HAF 912

My graphics is currently a Zotac 550ti AMP! just bought this 2 days ago and I'll upgrade soon again to probably a GTX 570 card.

Hard drive old one
Monitor 1440x900
Optical Drive old one
Mouse Old one
Keyboard old one

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was going to shoot for the bulldozer route on this setup. and thought the CPU was low priced to get me by till then. But I will look over your setup. Thanks

And now that I think about it..Is it even worth waiting for the 2011 I mean if I go for the Intel way if I am just gaming such as BF3 SC2 and etc the CPU should handle well for about a year or so correct?

I was going to shoot for the bulldozer route on this setup. and thought the CPU was low priced to get me by till then. But I will look over your setup. Thanks
Naw, not even low priced. An cost effective AMD setup has to be around $100 less than an Intel setup to be worthwhile.
And now that I think about it..Is it even worth waiting for the 2011 I mean if I go for the Intel way if I am just gaming such as BF3 SC2 and etc the CPU should handle well for about a year or so correct?
Yes. Especially if you overclock.

So I should just wait for ivy bridge to be released is what my main quesiton is now.

Just fyi if I upgrade my CPU/Mother board ill be upgrading from a E2200 P4

So I should just wait for ivy bridge to be released is what my main quesiton is now.

Up to you if the wait for Ivy Bridge is worth the extra 20% in performance and roughly $200 savings (assuming that if you go the SB route and you're gonna upgrade to a Ivy Bridge CPU when it's released)

Back