PC Build Advice needed

John117

n00b
Answering the Questions of
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1349433

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Emulation , Gaming , Simulation , Photoshop , Music Editing , Movies , Browsing , Auto CAD , Photoshop , Xilinx Software , Virtual Machine,FTP/BitTorrent (download/upload).

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Within 90k INR
Tax Excluded
Not Shipping from Abroad

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

India

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word

{Answer to this Part is at the END}

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Speaker , Keyboard , Mouse

6) Will you be overclocking?

Yes (Not Now , Later)

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

I will be Buying ASUS VG23AH - 23" Monitor
So Please Figure things out.!

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Now (ASAP)

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

USB 3.0 Many , Sata 6.0 , Onboard Video as Backup , Crossfire
I Actually Chose a Motherboard
Dont Know if it is the Right Choice or not

GIGABYTE z77x UP5 TH

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes Windows XP , & Windows 7 All 32 bit

...............................................................................................................................
Until now i have Chose the Following Config,............. but i have Questions ........... so please answer them..

Case
- Undecided , i need some good quality , cheap Having front USB 3.0

Power Supply (PSU)
- Undecided - Cant Estimate How much i require ? which brand to get ?

Case Fan(s)
-Do I Need them ? Case should have some fans.

Motherboard
-Gigabyte Z77X UP5 TH
Any Advice Regarding this is Welcome

Processor (CPU)
i7 3770k

CPU Cooler/Heatsink with Fan (HSF)
-Do i need them ? , i heard that i7 dont get that warm

Memory (RAM)
-Chose Corsair Vengeance (DDR3 ,1600MHz , 8GB X 2)
But Many are Saying to get Samsung Green Ram

Hard Drive (HDD)
-WD Blue 1TB ..... 64mb Cache
-(Another Drive for Download and Random Usage)

Optical (Disc) Drive (CD/DVD/HD-DVD/BR)
- No Need

Video/Graphics Card (GPU)
-Many are telling to not to get a GPU Now and Wait for the AMD 8000 Series to Come out and then buy one ? What Should i do ?

[Sound Card
Additional Cards
-- Wireless (802.11b/g/n) Network
-- TV/Cable tuner
-- RAID controller
-- IDE/ATA/SATA controller
Miscellaneous
-- Floppy drive
-- Memory card reader
-- Fan controller]----------------------------- NO Need

ADVICE and Answer All The Questions:rolleyes:

India? :eek:

Can you list some online retailers you intend to order your parts from? A lot of our recommendations are based on "bang for buck" hardware, so we need to see what kind of prices you'll be paying.

I could give you a parts list priced in USD, however that wont always translate that well. What might be a good price here, there might be better hardware for the same or cheaper price, prices might be hugely inflated, etc...

To answer your questions though, for an i7 3770k setup with a descent discrete graphics card we generally recommend around 600 - 700W. This is a little over kill in majority of the builds we do around here so you'll be safe with a good quality PSU in the ~650W range.

A good case will already come with adequate fans/cooling options to keep the internals components cool. So no, they most likely will not be needed.

Unless you are getting a huge deal on that motherboard it's completely not worth the price since a ~$140 USD board will fit all your needs. If you feel the need to spluge a little then we have plenty of boards between $150 - $200 that will fill your needs. For reference, that board is $249 shipped here in the U.S.

That CPU will fit your needs just fine.

If you intend to overclock the CPU to speeds in excess of 4.0Ghz, then yes... you'll need an aftermarket cooler. Is the Cooler Master 212+ or Cooler Master EVO available near you? If so, what's the price on it?

RAM is an interesting topic. You want to get RAM that's rated at 1.5v OR LESS; anything more and you risk damage to the CPU. With that being said, sticking with DDR3 1600 or slower shows that you're in the ballpark at least. Anything over DDR3 1600 and you really can not notice a difference, except that you pay more. With that being said, for the most part, RAM is RAM. If from a reputable manufacturer. G.Skill, Samsung, Corsair, to name a few. Now I have no idea how much RAM is where you are but for reference we generally recommend 16GB in the sub $75 USD range. So keep that in mind when looking. No need to spend more money if it's not needed.

While it's not a bad drive, here it's a little on the expensive side. Would really like to see the prices of other similar performing drives before making a decision.

Something better is always around the corner. You intend to spend you time waiting for it or buying what's available now and enjoying it? Up to you. Personally, I'd get what I need now and make use of it rather than wait for "the next big thing" to come out.

What are these? You need an additional sound card? What speakers are you using?
You intend to get a Wireless card? No problem, what kind of wireless AP are you connecting to?
Honestly do not have much of an idea as to what kind of TV Tuner you can use over there. What standard does your Country use? I'm using a network tuner for my setup; it's a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Prime tuner that contains 3 tuners. Any computer I have connected to my network that's running Windows, Linux or Mac can install drivers and watch live TV (or record) Not sure if it will work in your Country.
Why do you need a RAID controller?
Why do you need an IDE/ATA/SATA controller?
Floppy drive. For what?
Memory card reader. What kind of memory cards do you intend to read/write to?

Why is it always a Shock , when i tell openly in a forum that i am form India?:confused:
Can you list some online retailers you intend to order your parts from? A lot of our recommendations are based on "bang for buck" hardware, so we need to see what kind of prices you'll be paying.I could give you a parts list priced in USD, however that wont always translate that well. What might be a good price here, there might be better hardware for the same or cheaper price, prices might be hugely inflated, etc...
I wont be buying from online stores , i will buy from Retail Store in my city

For Approximate Price you can go to these sites:
http://www.snapdeal.com/products/computers?HID=leftnav_Computers-Gaming_All-Computers-Peripherals
http://www.homeshop18.com/computer-peripherals/category:3254/
http://www.flipkart.com/computers?_pop=mheader&otracker=hp_menu_header_computer

As for the Translation from USD to INR
Generally what i saw from various Websites it goes like this

INR = USD * 55 (Approx)
Price in India (in INR)= Price in USA (Converted to INR) + (5000 to 8000 INR)

Example: ASUS monitor
Price
USA:$219.99 = Approximately 11880 INR
India:18000 INR

So From the Facts You Can Figure out situation here.
so you'll be safe with a good quality PSU in the ~650W range.
OK ,Then i will Search for a 650W PSU ............. WHICH Brands will be good ? Any Models To be Specific ?
Unless you are getting a huge deal on that motherboard it's completely not worth the price since a ~$140 USD board will fit all your needs. If you feel the need to spluge a little then we have plenty of boards between $150 - $200 that will fill your needs. For reference, that board is $249 shipped here in the U.S.

About the MOTHERBOARD
I am actually interested in this board for Thunderbolt Ports , Wifi BT Module , Many USB 3.0

Can you Please Give me some names of other Motherboards with Similar Features but having Lesser Price ?

If you intend to overclock the CPU to speeds in excess of 4.0Ghz, then yes... you'll need an aftermarket cooler. Is the Cooler Master 212+ or Cooler Master EVO available near you? If so, what's the price on it?
Yes
Available
http://www.flipkart.com/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo/p/itmd7pfht3crxtnf
http://www.findprice.co.in/buy-onli...-Hyper-212-Plus-Cooling-Fan?categoryFilter=12
http://www.priceguide.in/cpu-cooler/cooler-master-hyper-212-plus/

USA Price (For Reference)
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Plus-RR-B10-212P-G1/dp/B002G1YPH0
USA:$28 =1512 INR (Approximately)

RAM is an interesting topic. You want to get RAM that's rated at 1.5v OR LESS; anything more and you risk damage to the CPU. With that being said, sticking with DDR3 1600 or slower shows that you're in the ballpark at least. Anything over DDR3 1600 and you really can not notice a difference, except that you pay more. With that being said, for the most part, RAM is RAM. If from a reputable manufacturer. G.Skill, Samsung, Corsair, to name a few. Now I have no idea how much RAM is where you are but for reference we generally recommend 16GB in the sub $75 USD range. So keep that in mind when looking. No need to spend more money if it's not needed.
OK

While it's not a bad drive, here it's a little on the expensive side. Would really like to see the prices of other similar performing drives before making a decision.
I am Searching for a Reliable Fast Drive Which Will not Break or Become Corrupt after Years of Use
Due to Very Fast Simultaneous Tasks it should not Become Corrupt (my last segate 7200.7 did this and it took me a long process to get my data back)

Something better is always around the corner. You intend to spend you time waiting for it or buying what's available now and enjoying it? Up to you. Personally, I'd get what I need now and make use of it rather than wait for "the next big thing" to come out.

Yes this is true
but i read here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Islands_(GPU_family)
that it will be launched in the second quarter of 2013 ,.........and i will be busy until then
so thats why that thought crossed my mind
What are these? You need an additional sound card? What speakers are you using?
You intend to get a Wireless card? No problem, what kind of wireless AP are you connecting to?
Honestly do not have much of an idea as to what kind of TV Tuner you can use over there. What standard does your Country use? I'm using a network tuner for my setup; it's a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Prime tuner that contains 3 tuners. Any computer I have connected to my network that's running Windows, Linux or Mac can install drivers and watch live TV (or record) Not sure if it will work in your Country.
Why do you need a RAID controller?
Why do you need an IDE/ATA/SATA controller?
Floppy drive. For what?
Memory card reader. What kind of memory cards do you intend to read/write to?

I dont need these things

Sound Card
Additional Cards
-- TV/Cable tuner
-- RAID controller
Miscellaneous
-- Floppy drive
-- Memory card reader
-- Fan controller

I don't need any of these

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why is it always a Shock , when i tell openly in a forum that i am form India?
Because we don't get many posters from India.

OK ,Then i will Search for a 650W PSU ............. WHICH Brands will be good ? Any Models To be Specific ?
Antec High Current Gamer M HCG-620M 620W Semi-Modular PSU
Corsair TX650 V2 650W PSU
Corsair HX650 650W Modular PSU
Seasonic X650 Gold 650W Modular PSU
About the MOTHERBOARD
I am actually interested in this board for Thunderbolt Ports , Wifi BT Module , Many USB 3.0

Can you Please Give me some names of other Motherboards with Similar Features but having Lesser Price ?
The big question is whether or not you're actually serious about using those Thunderbolt ports. As it stands now, generally the Thunderbolt feature isn't worth it unless you can use it right away. Otherwise, that's money wasted.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Considering your planned usage, you're gonna have to buy a 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium or WIndows 7 Pro key as the 32bit Windows OSes only only practically support 4GB of RAM. Your planned usage scream 16GB of RAM optimally so your 32bit keys are relatively useless here.

I am Searching for a Reliable Fast Drive Which Will not Break or Become Corrupt after Years of Use
Due to Very Fast Simultaneous Tasks it should not Become Corrupt (my last segate 7200.7 did this and it took me a long process to get my data back)
Unfortunately, current hard drives aren't as robust as they were in the past. As such, these days, it's a given or forgone conclusionthat your drive will eventually die after years or even months of use. That's why there's been a huge push lately in the [H]ardOCP community towards NASes, File Servers, and other various forms of backup, external storage, etc as major storage options.

So in other words, get two of the same drives and put them in RAID 1 using the motherboard's onboard RAID. It's better than nothing. In addition, if you want true backup (as a RAID 1 with your motherboard is not considered backup), you'll need to get an external hard drive, NAS, file server, or even cloud backup. If you go the NAS route and don't plan on expanding past two drives, I recommend the Synology DS-212j.

To All:
I Have Expanded the Answers in this post , so please see and then see the following post

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039574809&postcount=3

Because we don't get many posters from India.
The big question is whether or not you're actually serious about using those Thunderbolt ports. As it stands now, generally the Thunderbolt feature isn't worth it unless you can use it right away. Otherwise, that's money wasted.
Right away........ No , but , i was thinking of buying a Thunderbolt External HDD
Besides that No........... Nothing Now through
Thunderbolt

&&
There is no Upgrade Option available in future through PCI , Only ASUS has a Expansion Card Which is Quite Complex and Clumsy

If i need not to buy a non thunderbolt motherboard then
PLEASE SUGGEST SOME Motherboards with
Z77 Chipset , VGA or DVI or HDMI port in it , Many USB 3.0 & 2.0 , Having Wifi BT Module

Considering your planned usage, you're gonna have to buy a 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium or WIndows 7 Pro key as the 32bit Windows OSes only only practically support 4GB of RAM. Your planned usage scream 16GB of RAM optimally so your 32bit keys are relatively useless here.

yes ..... will do that too

even cloud backup
Slow Internet ..........Not an Option
external hard drive
OK That would do

So would buying a ssd will save me from data corruption in future ?

Right away........ No , but , i was thinking of buying a Thunderbolt External HDD
Besides that No........... Nothing Now through

If i need not to buy a non thunderbolt motherboard then
Just stick with eSATA or USB 3.0 for the external hard drive
PLEASE SUGGEST SOME Motherboards with
Z77 Chipset , VGA or DVI or HDMI port in it , Many USB 3.0 & 2.0 , Having Wifi BT Module
Go for the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB.

Because it's ugly. lol!

Pretty much this. That and its quality does not match the price you're paying for it. I've seen better quality cases that costs the same price as that HAF-X.

Answering the Questions of
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1349433

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Emulation , Gaming , Simulation , Photoshop , Music Editing , Movies , Browsing , Auto CAD , Photoshop , Xilinx Software , Virtual Machine,FTP/BitTorrent (download/upload).

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Within 90k INR
Tax Excluded
Not Shipping from Abroad

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

India

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word

{Answer to this Part is at the END}

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Speaker , Keyboard , Mouse

6) Will you be overclocking?

Yes (Not Now , Later)

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

I will be Buying ASUS VG23AH - 23" Monitor
So Please Figure things out.!

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Now (ASAP)

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

USB 3.0 Many , Sata 6.0 , Onboard Video as Backup , Crossfire
I Actually Chose a Motherboard
Dont Know if it is the Right Choice or not

GIGABYTE z77x UP5 TH

...............................................................................................................................
Until now i have Chose the Following Config,............. but i have Questions ........... so please answer them..

Case
- Undecided , i need some good quality , cheap Having front USB 3.0

Power Supply (PSU)
- Undecided - Cant Estimate How much i require ? which brand to get ?

Case Fan(s)
-Do I Need them ? Case should have some fans.

Motherboard
-Gigabyte Z77X UP5 TH
Any Advice Regarding this is Welcome

Processor (CPU)
i7 3770k

CPU Cooler/Heatsink with Fan (HSF)
-Do i need them ? , i heard that i7 dont get that warm

Memory (RAM)
-Chose Corsair Vengeance (DDR3 ,1600MHz , 8GB X 2)
But Many are Saying to get Samsung Green Ram

Hard Drive (HDD)
-WD Blue 1TB ..... 64mb Cache
-(Another Drive for Download and Random Usage)

Optical (Disc) Drive (CD/DVD/HD-DVD/BR)
- No Need

Video/Graphics Card (GPU)
-Many are telling to not to get a GPU Now and Wait for the AMD 8000 Series to Come out and then buy one ? What Should i do ?

[Sound Card
Additional Cards
-- TV/Cable tuner
-- RAID controller
Miscellaneous
-- Floppy drive
-- Memory card reader
-- Fan controller]----------------------------- NO Need

ADVICE and Answer All The Questions:rolleyes:

I would strongly recommend a SEASONIC brand power supply or the corsair hx650 or any corsair AX series power supply as these units are also seasonic hardware. You need a good, stable power supply and thats what seasonic units offer especially in a country where the electricity isnt as stable .

For a monitor, you might want to look at the new samsung PLS displays, they get very good reviews though I have yet to see one personally as they were sold out of stock.

Because it's ugly. lol!

Pretty much this. That and its quality does not match the price you're paying for it. I've seen better quality cases that costs the same price as that HAF-X.

For
NZXT Phantom 410

I am paying a price of
6,200 INR

Do you guys have a Better Opinion / Better Option in the same Price Range ??
:confused:

PS:
INDIA Prices (Approx)
Cooler Master HAF XM - 10,490 INR
Cooler Master HAF X Nvidia Edition - 14,550 INR
Cooler Master HAF X - 13,695 INR

Last edited:
I would strongly recommend a SEASONIC brand power supply or the corsair hx650 or any corsair AX series power supply as these units are also seasonic hardware. You need a good, stable power supply and thats what seasonic units offer especially in a country where the electricity isnt as stable .

For a monitor, you might want to look at the new samsung PLS displays, they get very good reviews though I have yet to see one personally as they were sold out of stock.

Yes
as you said i am going to look for seasonic and corsair now!
whats the seasonic official website for india ?

Should i just forget all other brands like cooler master , nzxt , antec etc ?

For PLS
i am going from normal 17" TN LCD to IPS 23" LED

SO not now ......... in the next build i will take a pls
besides they are damn expensive in india right now
so for now its 23" IPS

I have a Question Though :eek:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1750906&highlight=

For
NZXT Phantom 410

I am paying a price of
6,200 INR

Do you guys have a Better Opinion / Better Option in the same Price Range ??
:confused:
Not a fan of the Phantom 410 either on account of how cramped it appears. Here in the United States, the Phantom 410 costs as much as the roomier Corsair 300R, 400R, and 500R cases as well as the Antec 1100 case, Lian PC-7HX case, and Corsair Vengeance C70 cases.

Yes
Should i just forget all other brands like cooler master , nzxt , antec etc ?
No. Some Antec PSUs are actually made by Seasonic. And not all Corsair PSUs would be the kind of PSUs I would recommend. Nor are all Corsair PSUs made by Seasonic. In addition to the PSus I recommended looking at a month and a half ago, here some other PSus I recommend taking a look at:
Seasonic G Series
Antec Earthwatts series

warranty
Seasonic G Series 5years
Seasonic X Series 5years
Seasonic Platinum Series 7years

Antec Earthwatts series 3 years
Corsair HX 7 years

all similar priced here

so should i take the one which has highest warranty?

Go with the one that fits your budget and from the company you trust most.

Back