PBO not working

bkhschoo

n00b
Hello all i have a x570 Aorus pro mobo from gigabyte and an 5800x. I enabled PBO and XMP (64 GB 3200Mhz memory) in the bios but with cinebench benchmark R23 (multi or single thread) and HW monitor the clock speeds stay stuck min and max at 3749 Mhz constantly when cinebech is run??? With no benchmark run the clocks are 2999 on all cores.Temps are 45 degrees celsius and 57 watt on Hw monitor when running benchmark at 3749 Mhz all cores. why does PBO not boost my cpu ? Latest bios F36d and latest drivers.Please help ....

Sorry, I am not going to be any help, except to say that PBO does nothing on my MSI x570 Tomahawk with a 5900x.

Edit: There should be multiple PBO options/profiles available. Did you try those? Some more extreme than others.

Edit: When I enabled PBO I did see about a 1K increase in my Cinebench score but it wasn't worth the additional power usage and heat.

Last edited:
PBO does not OC...It just lets you run max boost longer at the expense of more power and heat...

Sorry, I am not going to be any help, except to say that PBO does nothing on my MSI x570 Tomahawk with a 5900x.

Edit: There should be multiple PBO options/profiles available. Did you try those? Some more extreme than others.

Edit: When I enabled PBO I did see about a 1K increase in my Cinebench score but it wasn't worth the additional power usage and heat.

Same here. My system can handle it and probably run forever with PBO on. But for the last ten years I've pretty much been running stock and stable.

At these performance levels... it doesn't really matter? Although I'm old... hell I overclocked an 80286, built a custom loop in 2000, and was running dual overclocked Coppermine Pentium IIIs in 1999 on an Apollo Pro 133 chipset.

I have earned my lameness. How far I have fallen....

Same here. My system can handle it and probably run forever with PBO on. But for the last ten years I've pretty much been running stock and stable.

At these performance levels... it doesn't really matter? Although I'm old... hell I overclocked an 80286, built a custom loop in 2000, and was running dual overclocked Coppermine Pentium IIIs in 1999 on an Apollo Pro 133 chipset.

I have earned my lameness. How far I have fallen....

Same here, I OCed every system I built both video card and cpu. I survived the delta black label era, and gave thanks to the tower cooler gods once they blessed us with silence. My current ryzen 3900X system just runs PBO and video card runs stock. It runs all my old games great, and doesnt get loud...I am happy.

I tried a few pbo options and checked ryzen master and clicks are set in stone at 3800 mhz it seems. I did raise the multiplier to 42 and so it ran default 4200mhz all the time but thats not what i want the cpu to boost single and or multicore when needed. It just doesnt do that with PBO…

I would install and run Ryzen Master to check clock speeds. Sometimes other apps report the wrong speeds for Ryzen CPUs. I don't know if this is your problem or not ( I hope it is ) but it can't hurt to try.

PBO is the best way to o/c on Ryzen now. Curve optimizer helps lower voltage needed at a certain clock speeds. You can also increase 200mhz over max AMD boost. Example on my 5600 it's max boost is 4.45ghz and I can add 200mhz more for max boost to 4.65ghz. in most situations I can run all core at 4.65ghz 90 % of the time

Back