Patrick Stewart to Star in New “Star Trek” Series as Jean-Luc Picard on CBS All Access

TNG hasn't aged well at all, but DS:9 - Enterprise have held up, regardless of personal like/dislike for each show.
Enterprise was generally a weak show, but my recollection is they were heading in the right direction during the last season and then they cancelled it :(

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the above statement for the most part. As cringe worthy as ST:D can be, it is better out of the gate than the other Star Trek shows were excluding TOS. TOS's first season is hard to distinguish from later episodes. If anything, some later episodes are just terrible. Spock's Brain, the one with the space hippies, and Cat's Paw come to mind as examples of this. Each of these were in other seasons. Most of the plot issues of ST:D were in fact, not really issues by the end of the season. That said, it still suffers from some core problems.

The primary issue is that the show focuses on a character that is not someone who is likable or someone you can relate to. You see back ground characters which raise interesting questions or are more interesting than the primary characters but no attention is placed on them. The cyborg / android woman is an example of this. Similar issues can be raised with the first officer who doesn't even remotely come across as a competent Starfleet Officer. At least, not one in the command division. Star Trek is of course no longer grounded in science fact or even scientific theory and it shows. The space shroom drive and people from the mirror universe having light sensitivity we don't make no sense.

There are missed opportunities in story telling and characterization. One of the characters is turned into a cyborg as a result of the battle in the first episode. She later runs into the main character (Michael Burnham) and the cyborg woman clearly holds hostility towards Michael Burnham. Later on, they don't talk but this hostility is clearly absent. Its evident they were at least somewhat friendly on the first ship. Other issues with characterization include the main character not being written as a woman at all, but rather a man. Its one of the reason's she isn't likable.

The Klingon ships are too alien looking and aren't cool anymore. The designs are so busy that you can barely tell what direction the things are moving in. The Klingon redesign makes no sense. It does make sense to make them more alien, but that's obviously problematic as characters like Worf and Engineer Torres in Voyager are well liked. Worf's half human girlfriend would make no sense as no human would have kids with something that looked like that and their biology would likely be so different that compatibility would be off the table. This is the same problem with the half-human half-Klingon on Voyager. It would even be somewhat problematic for Dax and Worf's relationship in DS9. Again, you can cry "its about the person inside, not the outside" all you want but attraction is what it is. In otherwords, the show is generally spectacular visually, but things were changed for no reason and created additional issues that made the show less palatable to long time fans.

I don't think the show is as SJW as people claim it is. If anything, its handled so badly from a writing perspective that it fails hard at that agenda. The main character being written as a man with a woman playing the part comes across as a message that "women need to act like men" to be treated equally or serious when that's not the case, nor is it the right message. This is the problem with today's "strong female" characters. They aren't actually strong women. They are women who basically act like men. This wasn't necessary back in the 1980's when we had characters like Ellen Ripley in Alien who clearly acted like a woman and still got the job done. People never said things like: "This movie would have been better if Ripley had been a man" or anything like that. Hell, in the face of that alien creature, gender really didn't matter.

One thing that does scream "SJW" is that all the antagonists are straight white males. So there is that.

As for Picard being in a new show, I can't help but think the character will get the Luke Skywalker treatment. I'm not looking forward to seeing that shit show.

I didn't have a problem with Michael. She is who she is and I'm fine with that. As for the antagonists, in all fairness, most of the characters are straight white men...and in some episodes, the antagonists are Klingons, who may or may not be male and only one of them was kinda white (as I recall).

Ultimately, I don't worry about much beyond whether the stories are good and there's decent character development and I found that Discovery had all of that. We all have our preferences in the Trek universe. Mine, unless Discovery ultimately changes my mind, is that DS9 is the best Trek and I felt that starting with S3 (assuming that's the same year that TNG S7 aired). And when RD Moore came on board, that was it. The show became consistently good and occasionally great.

Stewart must be desperate...his movie roles have all dried up- Professor X...he needs some cash

Enterprise was generally a weak show, but my recollection is they were heading in the right direction during the last season and then they cancelled it :(

Yeah, it started to find it's footing right at the end.

I agree with this.

I didn't have a problem with Michael. She is who she is and I'm fine with that. As for the antagonists, in all fairness, most of the characters are straight white men...and in some episodes, the antagonists are Klingons, who may or may not be male and only one of them was kinda white (as I recall).

Ultimately, I don't worry about much beyond whether the stories are good and there's decent character development and I found that Discovery had all of that. We all have our preferences in the Trek universe. Mine, unless Discovery ultimately changes my mind, is that DS9 is the best Trek and I felt that starting with S3 (assuming that's the same year that TNG S7 aired). And when RD Moore came on board, that was it. The show became consistently good and occasionally great.

Be fine with it all you like. I felt she was far too wooden, unbelievable, and unlikable.

After playing Poop in the Emoji movie he can only go up from there!

download.jpg

Back