Patch Management systems

yadnom

Limp Gawd
I help admin a network of ~100 PCs in a domain. I was wondering for those of you with similar network size who run a patch management system, what software do you use? Free or paid.

We currently use Numara but was just looking to see alternative software. Any pros/cons?

Good ole WSUS covers it for us. about 70 PCs in total and another handful of laptops on top of that. Everything keeps up to date pretty well

For window patching, wsus. I've used it on extremely large networks, with some challenging "opportunities" ( PHB speak for arse up conditions ), it's never let me down.

I know there is a way to application patching through wsus as well, but damned if I've ever researched it. I always go with my old standby; wpkg. Another awesome bit of software.

I use WSUS at my small business customers that I manage, but at work, I use Shavlik and its great, really good reporting on patch status, etc...all that fancy stuff management wants to know.

We use Numara and I believe it uses the Shavlik engine, but the interface and process of setting up groups is very convoluted. It was much easier with their older version but the older version doesn't support Windows 7.

For you guys that use WSUS, how do you guys handle Adobe and Java stuff? I was under the impression that WSUS cannot push out these updates.

What are you patching?

WSUS and GPO installed MSI's cover most Microsoft stuff and good old Acrobat/Flash and Java.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has used GFI Languard as I'm looking for something to make patching servers a little less hands on.

I patch desktops with Altiris and the server guys use Patchlink for servers.

We use Desktop Central because it allows me to patch windows patches as well as third party software patches.

Back