Pata or Sata?

IntelOwnz

Gawd
Server only has Pata connectors (Pentium 3)

Should I buy an Add-On Sata Adapter or just buy a Pata style Hard drive?

Also, If I buy the Sata Card, does that automatically take care of the 127GB limit for drives or do I still have to flash the bios?

Currently there is nothing else using the PCI bus besides a 2-Port USB Card in which I occasionally use to charge my Ipod

Personally, I would just go with PATA, makes it easier to install Windows if the SATA card drivers aren't part of the Windows install set.

Definitely go for a PATA drive, especially if it's for a server. No need to complicate things with an additional adapter. Besides, PATA drives are QUITE cheap thanks to SATA (Although they're getting cheap too!)

I'm in a similar situation (older mobo with no SATA ports) and I plan on Installing the OS on a 40 GB PATA drive that I have laying around. The storage drives on the other hand will be SATA drives connected to a basic, inexpensive PCI SATA controller like the Rosewill RC-209.

My reasoning is that modern motherboards rarely include more than one PATA port (2 devices) and that makes SATA drives more future-proof. I've also found that SATA and PATA drives are pretty much identical in price.

Back