• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Pata or Sata?

IntelOwnz

Gawd
Joined
Oct 29, 2006
Messages
710
Server only has Pata connectors (Pentium 3)

Should I buy an Add-On Sata Adapter or just buy a Pata style Hard drive?

Also, If I buy the Sata Card, does that automatically take care of the 127GB limit for drives or do I still have to flash the bios?



Currently there is nothing else using the PCI bus besides a 2-Port USB Card in which I occasionally use to charge my Ipod
 
Personally, I would just go with PATA, makes it easier to install Windows if the SATA card drivers aren't part of the Windows install set.
 
Definitely go for a PATA drive, especially if it's for a server. No need to complicate things with an additional adapter. Besides, PATA drives are QUITE cheap thanks to SATA (Although they're getting cheap too!)
 
I'm in a similar situation (older mobo with no SATA ports) and I plan on Installing the OS on a 40 GB PATA drive that I have laying around. The storage drives on the other hand will be SATA drives connected to a basic, inexpensive PCI SATA controller like the Rosewill RC-209.

My reasoning is that modern motherboards rarely include more than one PATA port (2 devices) and that makes SATA drives more future-proof. I've also found that SATA and PATA drives are pretty much identical in price.
 
Back
Top