Passive video card with Audio?

Joined
Dec 20, 2002
Messages
33
I've got a system with a Q6600 Passively cooled with one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185046 in this case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112151.

I'm currently using a Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard and I think its time to upgrade to something with a little more kick to it, video wise. The case is at a volume level that I am comfortable with now and I'd like to keep it at this volume.

The application is that it is in a living room serving movies/music, and I do some gaming on it but i don't need to run Crysis at 999 FPS. Just enough to play video games at medium/above average settings.

Any ideas? Seems like the ATi 5xxx line is a starting point, but I'm lost beyond that.
 
This card was recently released:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127480&cm_re=5450-_-14-127-480-_-Product

See here how it compared to integrated video (your onboard GMA X3500 is about half as powerful as Intel GMA HD, for reference):

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/02/09/radeon-hd-5450-review/4

It's not great, but it will run DX9 games on low to moderate settings, will bitstream audio, and will accelerate HD video. It's also very small, which is good for your case.

Beyond that, you'll have to look around for custom boards with passive cooling, or you'll have to add it yourself (will void warranties for every company except EVGA and XFX). But buying more powerful cards with passive heatsinks may mean you have to improve your case cooling, and that means more noise anyway. Basically, if you want low noise air cooling, you have to be willing to put-up with low-powered video.

That said, this $100 video card will offer great game performance on mid-high settings with a little noise, and utter silence when not gaming. All depends on how much you value silence - do you just want it during idle time, or do you want it even when gaming?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150466&cm_re=hd_5670-_-14-150-466-_-Product
 
Last edited:
Back
Top