Pas through video

paul1960

n00b
I used to use an oculus rift, but it was always too hot and uncomfortable to use in the warmer months which is pretty much always since I moved to Florida. It used a bunch of usb ports and a base station. I don't typically do VR games I like watching movies 3d / normal and streaming Youtube mainly, typically on a huge screen floating in space. I tried playing PC games but there was no pass through video and I'm not a touch typist. Newer headsets have pass through video, use fewer usb cables and have better cooling and I'm thinking of getting one again. I've been comparing the HP Reverb G2 and the quest 3. Looks like quest 3 may have the better pass through but it doesn't connect to a display port, its wirelessness is a feature, I'm sure it can connect to streaming services and has a browser for youtube, but probably doesn't have as good video fidelity, it doesn't run indefinitely it has a battery life and I've read not as good speakers. Its probably better for VR games but thats not really my thing. The Reverb is connected to a display port on your video card and is probably better for PC games and media streaming provided the pass through is good enough for keyboarding it is likely better for PC games. Hard to find a video about them online that isn't all about hand tracking and vr games Any of you guys have opinions or experience with this? Thanks.

I would guess Q3 could use a HDMI to DP adapter if needed.
I have a G2 and it has not cooling. I have rigged an aquarium air pump with tubing to keep me happy as I am a person who really struggles with lack of air with my eyes.
I am not sure i am helping with the answers you seek as I am not sure exactly what you are asking.

I would guess Q3 could use a HDMI to DP adapter if needed.
I have a G2 and it has not cooling. I have rigged an aquarium air pump with tubing to keep me happy as I am a person who really struggles with lack of air with my eyes.
I am not sure i am helping with the answers you seek as I am not sure exactly what you are asking.
Thanks you were helpful. Good to know there is a cabled way to attach to a pc.

Thanks you were helpful. Good to know there is a cabled way to attach to a pc.
Quest 3 connects via a normal USB-C data port, not a straight video port. The PC encodes the video and sends it as data to the Quest 3 which decodes and displays it. It also provides power to the Quest 3 and sends input data back to the PC.

You can also connect wirelessly through wifi which does the same thing except for providing power. The Quest 3 would be using it's battery, you could also plug the USB-C to a wall outlet or external battery.

But for the media consumption you want to do you don't even need a PC. The Quest 3 has a web browser and can play videos by itself.

Quest 3 connects via a normal USB-C data port, not a straight video port. The PC encodes the video and sends it as data to the Quest 3 which decodes and displays it. It also provides power to the Quest 3 and sends input data back to the PC.

You can also connect wirelessly through wifi which does the same thing except for providing power. The Quest 3 would be using it's battery, you could also plug the USB-C to a wall outlet or external battery.

But for the media consumption you want to do you don't even need a PC. The Quest 3 has a web browser and can play videos by itself.
Thats what I was afraid of, I'd rather have it straight from the video card. Point HP Reverb G2.

For everything you want to do you don't even need the PC with a Quest 3.
I want to watch movies I have stored in my computer and there are some computer games, fps types I want to play. It can probably do fine for streaming services and browser but my local disk movies and games require the PC.

I want to watch movies I have stored in my computer and there are some computer games, fps types I want to play. It can probably do fine for streaming services and browser but my local disk movies and games require the PC.

If you use Virtual Desktop you can play videos directly on the headset, by streaming them or downloading them directly to the headset from your PC and then playing them without being connected.

The G2 was a solid choice a few years ago, but I wouldn't even consider the G2 or any other headset with fresnel lenses now. Pancake lenses have a huge boost in clarity over fresnel. Pancake lenses have a way bigger sweet spot, are clearer in the center of the screen and a lot clearer on the outside too.
Image quality from a PC would probably look better on a Q3 than a G2 because the superior lenses would trump the compression. Quest 3 also has AV1 hardware decoding. But if you wait a week for reviews I'm sure there will be plenty of people comparing Q3 PCVR image quality with the G2 and other headsets.

Back