• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Partitioning for speed and Disk management.

ThrawnFile

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
70
Though I'm sure there is a thread on this already, I just cant be arsed to figure out a search string for the proper results.

I've read the "partitioning to optomize" sticky and wondered if when you partition a drive from a zero fill (low level), how does it order the partitions physically? Will it follow the rules of ZBR and the first partition is located in the outer edge and the last partiton closer to the spindle, or does it partiton from the inside out?

My reason for asking, is that I wanted to try and make a 2g or so partition specificly for my page-file, another for my OS and frequently used programs/game, and the rest of the space for things like photos/movies/MP3s that I dont really care how fast the drive pulls them up.

I've got a pair of 74g raptors (dont know model/sn, and I've never messed with TCQ), both are stand-alone since I burned myself on raid not to long ago. One is OS, the other is data. Would it be better for me to partition the data drive for the page file or to leave it on the main OS drive?


Also, since I busted my laptop's slimline cd drive I need to find a way to repartiton my HD so I can copy the xp cd from a mapped drive on my desktop. What would be a good partition manager for both my main system running xp pro, and my laptop running xp home? Free is always a plus, but I'm willing to shell out some cash if need be.
 
from what I have gathered from various partitioning threads, there is no reason to put the pagefile on a seperate partition. If the PF is on a seperate partition, it _may_ increase the amount of head movement, which _may_ offset and transfer speed related gains.
Additionally, considering the poor defrag utility that comes with XP, it makes sense to create a large partition, since defrag requires 15% free space to run 'properly'.

Bottom line from my perspective: just a single, large partition would be all you want.
 
Best most powerful partition manager is Ranish Partition Manager.

You can get it here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

It has a learning curve tho. It's not point and click like Partition Magic.

But yeah, everything drizzt81 stated is true.
 
I was looking at Ranish's program. But didn't notice anything about NTFS. Did I miss something?

Now it's just a matter of partitioning my laptop, copying the cd before I format. Installing from the HD, and possibly creating a cloned image of the OS partition so I can reload in like 10minutes.

All in NTFS hopefully.
 
Back
Top