Part Identification Help

Hello. This might be a bit of an odd question, and hopefully this is the right place to post this, but I've been trying to identify a particular electronic part (I believe it's a computer plug of some sort, though it might go to something else) and I haven't had any luck doing so. I'm working on a movie replica Star Wars costume and the last part I need is this particular plug, but I have no idea what it is and I haven't been able to find anything remotely similar. I was hoping that someone here might know what it is, or have a clue as to something that looks similar.

The only decent picture of the part isn't all that clear, unfortunately, but here it is...

To me it looks to be some sort of double-row plastic connector on a silver metal base. There are three screw holes on one side of the metal base and it looks like there's only one on the other side, though there might also be three on that side and the other two aren't noticeable because of a shine, it's hard to say. To me is almost looks like something similar to two of these on a metal base (but probably not those exactly), but I can't say that for certain.

The part was used in Return of the Jedi, so I would imagine the part would be from around the late '70s to early '80s (Return of the Jedi was released in 1983).

Does anyone have a clue as to what this part might be or has seen anything that looks similar? I've been looking for this for quite literally years. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

If it helps, I'm doing a B-wing pilot costume from Return of the Jedi. I'm doing one with some of the pre-production details. There's a picture of the plug on the costume here-- it's right under the white hose that's next to the black circle.

A Centronics connector looks similar, if you don't need an exact match.

I'm pretty sure that the connector what the OP is asking for is the one on the same picture, on the pilot left chest; the difference is that the top is mounted facing front, and the bottom is mounted facing back.

I'm pretty sure that the connector what the OP is asking for is the one on the same picture, on the pilot left chest; the difference is that the top is mounted facing front, and the bottom is mounted facing back.

Someone else suggested that a while ago but I could never figure out how the other end would fit onto the vest. Maybe I'm just not looking at something right. I have the plug that's on the chest piece, it's a Winchester Electronics 50 pin connector, and though I haven't been able to find a clear picture of the back with the pins still in it (the one I have is just the plastic plug by itself) the catalog has a few pictures of similar plugs... The the pins, in the catalog, anyway, bend down in an L shape and connect to a flat base, and in the part that I'm trying to find I don't really see that, unless I'm just not looking at something right, which is definitely possible.

Here's the catalog. I don't really see anything that seems to match the connector/plug/whatever that I'm looking for, unless I'm just not seeing it...

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0daf/0900766b80daf797.pdf

Page 62 has a picture showing the back of a couple different connectors...

Last edited:
Looking at it a bit more, I think it may be a card edge connector, similar to this one:

The the pins, in the catalog, anyway, bend down in an L shape and connect to a flat base, and in the part that I'm trying to find I don't really see that, unless I'm just not looking at something right, which is definitely possible
The part you are talking about is PCB mount, the one from the picture is obviously panel-mount.
Someone else suggested that a while ago but I could never figure out how the other end would fit onto the vest. Maybe I'm just not looking at something right. I have the plug that's on the chest piece, it's a Winchester Electronics 50 pin connector, and though I haven't been able to find a clear picture of the back with the pins still in it (the one I have is just the plastic plug by itself) the catalog has a few pictures of similar plugs... The the pins, in the catalog, anyway, bend down in an L shape and connect to a flat base, and in the part that I'm trying to find I don't really see that, unless I'm just not looking at something right, which is definitely possible.

Here's the catalog. I don't really see anything that seems to match the connector/plug/whatever that I'm looking for, unless I'm just not seeing it...

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0daf/0900766b80daf797.pdf

Page 62 has a picture showing the back of a couple different connectors...

IMO, the problem piece is a used one; knowing that the movie industry is all about image, I give 90% chance that it isn't in the catalog(maybe in one from the mid 70's). To give you some ideas to replicate the piece: get creative - dremel, hacksaw, paint, shiny stuff is recommended; start with the Winchester Electronics connector, build a shiny frame, and sooner or later you will make something visually indistinguishable from the original, and as I understand, that's your scope.
Good luck, and I hope you will enjoy the challenge.

Thank you for the replies!

I was actually able to figure out what it was (with some help!), or at least what is possibly the plug... It seems to be an Amphenol 26-4200-32S rack and board plug. It looks pretty close, anyway. The problem is trying to find one... No one seems to have any for sale even though it looks like they're still being made. There's a few 24S for sale on Ebay but they appear to be older (which is fine) and are really expensive...

Back