Parents Join Facebook to Spy On Their Kids

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Just remember kids, you’re not being paranoid if someone is actually spying on you and that’s exactly what is happening on Facebook every day. The Education Database Online reports that for every kid on Facebook, at least one of their parents have joined also just to keep track of their children’s activities.

To give you more heebie-jeebies, 43% of parents check out their kid's profile daily — with special interest given to status updates and photos you are tagged in.

That's one perspective ... another is that any responsible parent should be involved with their underage child's online activity ;) ... once the child is considered an adult then one would assume they know enough to manage their privacy settings if they don't want their parents or future employers to see their activities ... if not, then so sad too bad, as the saying goes :cool:

That's one perspective ... another is that any responsible parent should be involved with their underage child's online activity ;) ... once the child is considered an adult then one would assume they know enough to manage their privacy settings if they don't want their parents or future employers to see their activities

a.k.a. spying.

That's one perspective ... another is that any responsible parent should be involved with their underage child's online activity ;) ... once the child is considered an adult then one would assume they know enough to manage their privacy settings if they don't want their parents or future employers to see their activities ... if not, then so sad too bad, as the saying goes :cool:

Pretty much. If you don't want your parents to see it, putting it on facebook proves you're stupid enough that they probably should.

a.k.a. spying.

It's hardly spying. It's akin to taking out a billboard ad down the street from your parents house and being pissed that they saw it. Now if they ganked your password and were reading your message history, that would be spying.

One's stance on this issue is likely going to fall right down along the lines of people with kids, and people without. The younger people will also find it creepy and horrible, while the older will find it great that some parents are at least taking some note of what their kids are doing.

I think it's good that parents keep track of the things their kids do on Facebook.

<=== 18 years old, single, no kids.

Yup. Don't like it? Grow up, get a job, move out, buy your own devices to connect to the net, pay the bills associated with that and have your privacy. Until then be grateful for what your parents provide for you.

One's stance on this issue is likely going to fall right down along the lines of people with kids, and people without. The younger people will also find it creepy and horrible, while the older will find it great that some parents are at least taking some note of what their kids are doing.

This. Parent here, and certainly NOT an overprotective one. It's not like reading their mail. They are putting something out there in the public for everyone to see so it is the responsibility of the parent to make sure that information will not compromise their child. For better or worse teaching responsible social media behavior is the new equivalent of teaching manners or values. Also, there is a difference between being aware of what your child is doing and impinging on their right to freedom.

Put it this way: If a child starts hinting at depression, or violent behavior, or starts posting pictures of guns or swastikas.....wouldn't you want the parent to be aware?

Put it this way: If a child starts hinting at depression, or violent behavior, or starts posting pictures of guns or swastikas.....wouldn't you want the parent to be aware?

What's wrong with posting pictures of guns? :p

If your kid is feeling this way and the first way you find out about it is through Facebook, I think you've got a bigger communication problem.

FN%20SCAR.jpg

a.k.a. spying.

Nope ... spying would be stealing their password or installing key loggers on their computer or pretending to be another child to friend them ;)... friending them on Facebook as yourself (if they accept your request) and then reading information they post in their public space (and information posted by their friends in that public space) is simply being a parent in a new and exciting digital age :cool:

Just remember kids, you’re not being paranoid if someone is actually spying on you and that’s exactly what is happening on Facebook every day. The Education Database Online reports that for every kid on Facebook, at least one of their parents have joined also just to keep track of their children’s activities.

It's "creepy" and "spying" when parents do this, but parents are "bad" if they don't. Can't win either way.

Unless parents make a fake account it's not hard to hid certain things such as updates and pictures so if the kid is half it will have 0 impact on their fb activity

If your kid is feeling this way and the first way you find out about it is through Facebook, I think you've got a bigger communication problem.

True, but if you were unaware of such things and you stumbled upon them and did something about it the life of your child or possibly others could be saved. Extreme examples, but you get the point.

57% of parents are doing a poor job.

QFT.

If I were a parent, I'd REQUIRE my kid to have me on their social media accounts and tough shit if they didn't like it.
If I saw shenanigans that warranted it, I'd even load a keylogger on their machine.

BTW: I'm 36 and kid-free.

Nope ... spying would be stealing their password or installing key loggers on their computer or pretending to be another child to friend them ;)... friending them on Facebook as yourself (if they accept your request) and then reading information they post in their public space (and information posted by their friends in that public space) is simply being a parent in a new and exciting digital age :cool:
Heavily monitoring their public conversations so you can avoid the disputable technicality of 'spying' on them seems like a waste of time. Unless you're a voyeur. Or looking for justification.

I don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't care to see endless posts over Betty snubbing Veronica. I would basically tell them if I feel its warranted, there isn't anything I'm going not look at. I'd rather let them guess whether they not they are going to get caught & weigh it rather than be a 24/7 Jiminy Cricket they can learn to circumvent.

Teens growning up now use technology such as Texing and social networks as one of their primary means of socializing whether we like it or not.

Appearing as your self and vein friended to your child is a way of keeping in touch as well as watching out for them.

It should not replace good communication at home but it is hardly spying.

Heavily monitoring their public conversations so you can avoid the disputable technicality of 'spying' on them seems like a waste of time. Unless you're a voyeur. Or looking for justification.

I don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't care to see endless posts over Betty snubbing Veronica. I would basically tell them if I feel its warranted, there isn't anything I'm going not look at. I'd rather let them guess whether they not they are going to get caught & weigh it rather than be a 24/7 Jiminy Cricket they can learn to circumvent.

As I said, different perspectives, and I don't think anyone should stalk another person on facebook (kids or otherwise) by constantly monitoring them ... however, FB does seem to get people into trouble whether they want it to or not, so it never hurts to monitor it, in addition to hopefully the good communication that occurs outside the texting and social space ;) ...

remember too that with FB it is usually your friends who ultimately are your downfall ... whether it is doing the ultimate taboo of friending your boss, staying friends with old girl friends/boy friends, having your mistress as a friend, etc ... or having friends who aren't the brightest lights on the Christmas tree (like the guy on the run from the cops who was caught when his girl friend liked the Sheriff Department home page and they saw her updates about him :eek: ) ... so some of the FB monitoring isn't just the child (who you might trust implicitly but also the people the child is associating with) ...

if your child is an adult (over 18) or not living with you then you probably don't need to monitor their FB unless like many children they don't call so it is how you figure out what they are up to ... besides, if parents didn't text their children or post on FB we wouldn't get all those funny "when parents discover the internet" type postings and jokes :p

I think it's good that parents keep track of the things their kids do on Facebook.

<=== 18 years old, single, no kids.

I think it's good parents keep track of the things their kids do period. Then they know which direction to boot them out when they turn 18.

Heavily monitoring their public conversations so you can avoid the disputable technicality of 'spying' on them seems like a waste of time.

Heavily monitoring their public conversations is a requirement of parenting in general. There is no such thing as freedom and privacy until you are an adult, and that's the law.

My parents pretty much left me alone, gave me plenty of space... I guess they trusted me *shrugs* I think they did a good job, I just wish they liked each other more. I only saw them hug twice, kind of by accident... I can't imagine how things would've been different had they divorced... but anyways, I also can't imagine them figuring out how to use a computer well enough to "spy" on me either... same is true for many kids now I imagine, the pace of technology will probably always keep many of them safe from the parents' watchful eye.

I'm not a parent yet, but i hope any children I have feels comfortable talking to me about anything. That's like my #1 priority. #2 would be letting them find their own identity and not pushing my bad habits onto them

If the kids don't like it, they should stay off of Facebook and keep their rooms clean. :)

Kid pays his own bills and lives on his own then it is spying. Leeching my internet, living in my house I get to see what he puts out there.

That's one perspective ... another is that any responsible parent should be involved with their underage child's online activity ;)
But what if that is already being done by another adult, such as an anonymous 42 year old male on the internet? Seems redundant.

Back