'Parent friendly' case....help with suggestions!

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Afternoon all,

Im going to be upgrading my dads comp for his bday/christmas pressie with my old parts and need a new case to fit them into.

Im in need of suggestions for a suitable case. Looking for something as small as possible, not overly flashy or with any lights or anything and quiet which is black in colour if possible?

Parts to go in to it are:-

P4 Prescott 3.6
DFI Lanparty 915P-T12 ATX
2 x 1gb Corsair Value
X1900XTX
420w Tagan PSU

Any suggestions?:confused:

Cooler Master Centurion 534
I just made a computer out of this for someone, it gives that expensive aluminum case look on the front while being a steal case. Its pretty cheap and not to flashy.

When building for other people I usually just look for a good looking case that isn't too high end. You might not be able to get the cables as clean as you would want on your own case but does it really matter that much on a case that probably will not be opened up for a very long time?

Where I bought mine: http://www.svc.com/rc-534-kkn2-gp.html

Better pics : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119106

I took the colored fan out of the front so it doesn't glow through the vents and imo its looks much better.

Antec 300.

+1 for the 300. Solid case, especially if you don't want lights/windows

You could also go for a Cooler Master 590, haven't owned one, but it seems highly favored on the forums. Not exactly small though.

A smaller, but more expensive case is the Lian-Li A05B, but that seems a little high priced for the build ($96 shipped)

Can't go wrong with an Antec Solo, Antec 300, or something from the CM Centurion line.

+1 for the Antec 300. It's absolutely fantastic, both for a novice and an enthusiast (with a little bit of modding). It's the standard mid-sized ATX tower. Not too big to put on a desk, but not so small theres nowhere to put cables. Plus it's cheap. Also, if you can find an Antec NSK4480B for less than $60-70, it's a great case, and a little smaller than the 300.

The antec 300 is like a case between micro atx case and midtower case. It will be able to use a atx size board.

Actually, the Antec 300 (18" x 8.1" x 18.3") is the size of an ATX mid-tower, and it's the same size as the Antec 900 (19.4'' x 8.1'' x 18.4''). The 300 is just over an inch shorter than the Antec 900 mostly due to the 900 having more plastic sh*t up front.

+1 for CM Centurian 5.

I have it. Cheap, great airflow, tool-less design. :D

Only thing is it has a pretty bright blue power LED if that really bothers you. And you might have to clean it often as it gets pretty dusty (like all computers). And its a full tower.

yeaaa Antec 300 could be a great choice its definatly friendly to parents especially because it doesnt have any leds and you dont have to waste time changing led fans into black ones if it did have any. It has a great amount of space to fit everything in perfectly.

My mother (late 50s) loves her Centurion 5 case. Did a nice dual core Athlon build in it for her.

Cheers for suggestions.....although another solution would be to give my dad the Coolermaster Praetorian i have and get a new case myself???:rolleyes:

Centurion 5, There is no better case for the price.

+1 for the CM Centurion 5 here, fits an ATX board just fine. Have used it in 3 builds for friends and they all were a pleasure to drop parts in! :cool:

Cheers for suggestions.....although another solution would be to give my dad the Coolermaster Praetorian i have and get a new case myself???:rolleyes:

The praetorian is not a bad case either, a little bit on the big side though. The Centurion 5 is much slimmer, with the board also being installed upside down and the right hand side being the access panel.

My last two rebuilds, the old parts went to my parents, the first to my mother and stepfather and the second to my father. (My stepmother uses a work-issued notebook.) Both were in an Antec Solo, and everybody loves 'em. Stylish and quiet.

When the Solo for my father arrived I started prepping it at the kitchen table. One of my flatmates watched for a bit, then asked, "Why'd you get such a nice case for your dad?" Just because your mother has an iMac, I answered, other parents don't need to suffer...

Okay, technically my mother and stepfather have an Antec P150, but that's just a Solo in white.

I'll add to the nod to the Centurion, the hard drive rail system looks to be much better than what's on some of the other budget Coolermaster cases.
Pick between that and the Antec 300, they're both excellent.

Back