Panel for Dark Games?

walked

n00b
I'm not a competitive gamer; so not super stressed about high refresh rate (though not opposed to a high refresh rate GSync monitor if it fits!)

But I'm looking for something that'll work well for dark (survival horror type) games particularly well.

Most gaming monitor reviews seem to address refresh rate and lag rather than performance in dark scenes; so I'm not sure what to be looking for.

What panel type / any specific models should I be looking for?

VA type panels are the best for dark games in the LCD arena. You want to look for one with a relatively high static contrast ratio, preferably above 2500:1. Samsung's are generally the best overall in both monitors and televisions. I'd avoid those monitors using the AU Optronics AMVA panel such as those from AOC and Acer.

Since VA panels are slower with respect to response time, know that you'll lose motion clarity and color accuracy above 100 Hz. 120 Hz is the absolute ceiling for refresh rate with good VA panels.

I'm not a competitive gamer; so not super stressed about high refresh rate (though not opposed to a high refresh rate GSync monitor if it fits!)

But I'm looking for something that'll work well for dark (survival horror type) games particularly well.

Most gaming monitor reviews seem to address refresh rate and lag rather than performance in dark scenes; so I'm not sure what to be looking for.

What panel type / any specific models should I be looking for?

An OLED TV is your huckleberry.

If you don't want something that large, the monitor that fits your desires best is:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-32GK850G-B-Gaming-Monitor-Refresh/dp/B078TTXLW5

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Try and look up some reviews on various monitors with VA panels. You will want a VA type since it has the best blacks of the main 3 types, however some of the lower grade VA panels have far too much black crush. Which while you get nice black levels, having black crush destroys your low light detail and would be just about as bad at if you went with an IPS in the first place.

OLED, VA, or the Acer X27 which uses an IPS panel with local dimming. Avoid TN and edge lit IPS panels.

Thanks everyone.

I'm down to the LG 32" and the X27.
. I'm concerned with the low DPI of 1440p at 32" for the LG and concerned with the variable dimming and going down to a 27" for the X27

Coming from a 32" 4k IPS that I like the form factor of but the IPS glow is too much for dark scenes

Edit: 2080ti driving this so should have reasonable horsepower

Regardless of the monitor you get, color calibration can make a huge improvement as far as viewing dark scenes. I have an old Spyder4Pro. What I notice most after calibration is that I can see the difference between shades where before things were all muddy because the shades were too bunched up in certain ranges, usually on the dark end. Calibration spreads out and evens out all the gradients. I'm actually quite red-green colorblind, so if the color is off, I probably wouldn't notice. But, I definitely notice the improvement in shading.

Back