Panasonic TC-L32S1 $379.99 w/FS from Amazon

Augh. I want this, but I'm just not sure. Should I use a 23" ACD or this?

I have a 42" panasonic viera plasma and I have been very pleased with it. Especially since two years ago when I bought it, it only cost me $700 and I got a free PS3 with it.

Nice price, even less than what i got it for = $384

I have a 42" panasonic viera plasma and I have been very pleased with it. Especially since two years ago when I bought it, it only cost me $700 and I got a free PS3 with it.
You may already know, but the name can be confusing, especially the "S1" part, but this is not a plasma, it's an IPS-alpha panel LCD.

My advice: if this is your first endeavor into using an LCD TV as a monitor, do some quick and dirty research before you end up with something you weren't expecting:
- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1147687&page=2
- http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1486601

The TV has trouble with red fonts over dark backgrounds (not as bad in some 3d games) and it has trouble with mid-dark blue fonts over dark backgrounds, especially italic blue fonts. The sharpness function helps a tiny bit, and playing with cleartype helps a tiny bit, but you'll never get those particular fonts looking perfect. You may have to run this TV at 59hz, which shouldn't be a handicap imho. It has the lowest input lag of all current model LCD TV's, certain pricier Sharps my equal it though.

It is not plug and play when used as a monitor, it will take some tinkering to get it "just right", so have your patience cap on.

Last edited:
Nice price, even less than what i got it for = $384

You may already know, but the name can be confusing, especially the "S1" part, but this is not a plasma, it's an IPS-alpha panel LCD.

My advice: if this is your first endeavor into using an LCD as a monitor, do some quick and dirty research before you end up with something you weren't expecting:
- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1147687&page=2
- http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1486601

The TV has trouble with red fonts over dark backgrounds (not as bad in some 3d games) and it has trouble with mid-dark blue fonts over dark backgrounds, especially italic blue fonts. The sharpness function helps a tiny bit, and playing with cleartype helps a tiny bit, but you'll never get those particular fonts looking perfect. You may have to run this TV at 59hz, which shouldn't be a handicap imho. It has the lowest input lag of all current model LCD TV's, certain pricier Sharps my equal it though.

It is a 32" so its going to sit in the bedroom for me ;) The HTPC is connected to our 50" G15 which is fabulous.

Augh. I want this, but I'm just not sure. Should I use a 23" ACD or this?
Since i know some of the background details in your case, the only way i'd recommend you purchase the panasonic is if amazon offers a liberal money-back policy. Wouldn't want you to be stuck with something you weren't expecting.

Too bad there wasn't an easier way for you to test it out.

It is a 32" so its going to sit in the bedroom for me ;) The HTPC is connected to our 50" G15 which is fabulous.
Perhaps it's time for an htpc in the bedroom as well :)

Three of us ordered this today...

I plan on using it as a second monitor/bedroom tv..

it goes in and out of stock at amazon..

keep refreshing and check the bottom right for amazon as a seller.

it goes in and out of stock at amazon..

keep refreshing and check the bottom right for amazon as a seller.

Indeed just popped back to Amazon at 379.99. Confirmation email from earlier today says shipping is Tuesday.

Sometimes I wish my current monitor spontaneously dies when a deal like this comes by.

Oh yea, almost forgot, the TV ships with it's base uninstalled. Have a phillips screwdriver handy, magnetic tip preferred (you'll see what i mean) and be prepared to attach the base yourself.

DO NOT lean the actual screen against anything hard, or somewhere where the TV will flex, or you'll be one sorry camper.

Enjoy your new toy everyone, i know i am :)

Where is my giant middle finger gif when I need it..............
I know a middle finger emoticon would be pretty popular around here :D

Looks like the deal is officially over. Those who missed out can keep an eye peeled though, i'm pretty sure this model is being liquidated for the 2010 models yet to be released.

If it makes you feel any better, mine has been sitting in the box in my front room for 2 weeks from the buy.com sale and I even have the wall mount next to it and have been too busy to put it up. :(

If it makes you feel any better, mine has been sitting in the box in my front room for 2 weeks from the buy.com sale and I even have the wall mount next to it and have been too busy to put it up. :(

What wall mount are you using if you don't mind me asking?

What wall mount are you using if you don't mind me asking?
I can't easily get behind my panasonic right now to checkout, but i wonder what Vesa size it uses, 200x200 or 200x400?

The TV is so light though (less than 30lbs without the base), that any mid-strength bracket/arm should easily be able to hold it.

I mean ones like these:

- http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10828&cs_id=1082802&p_id=3411&seq=1&format=2 <-- i've used this one a couple of times, great budget arm mount. adjusting the tilt often would be a pain though.

- http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=5921&seq=1&format=2 <--- this one looks better for those who will adjust the tilt often.

Inexpensive 200x400 adapter (not sure if this is needed though?): http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10828&cs_id=1082805&p_id=3403&seq=1&format=2

Here are some decent and dirt cheap desk mounts: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035274598&postcount=45

Edit: with a minor struggle i was only able to find four empty holes on the back of the TV, and they're spaced 200mm x 200mm apart. That 200x400 adapter is probably not needed.

Overscan...

I have a PC hooked up through DVI->HDMI and i cant get it to be maximized properly..

what settings are everyone using?

I just want to get the screen maximized without having black edges, but also not to loose picture...

I have windows XP, ATI Radeon 4800...

Overscan...

I have a PC hooked up through DVI->HDMI and i cant get it to be maximized properly..

I just want to get the screen maximized without having black edges, but also not to loose picture...

I have heard that you need to set the refresh rate of the PC to 59Hz and not 60Hz.

Apparently this was a drop ship. Showed up this morning at 8am when it shipped on Tuesday.

Overscan...

Go into the advanced picture settings and look for the HDTV size setting. You should be able to change it to the next setting which fixed overscan entirely for me.

I just got mine set up last night, to get the underscan removed I had to install the old catalyst 9.11 drivers with my 4870. You should be able to update to the later drivers fine afterward but the monitor is not detected right in the newer drivers so you can't change the setting. Apparently it is also possible with a regedit. 1920x1080@60Hz works great, set for HD2 in the advanced picture settings.

I have heard that you need to set the refresh rate of the PC to 59Hz and not 60Hz.
59hz refresh often fixes underscan and sharpens up text a bit more, you may get different results with different video cards and driver revisions though.

In the TV menu you must select HD size 2, disable all processing options including tint. Black level should be set to "light black". Some may want to try setting sharpness between 0 ~ 10, preferably "0" but raising it can help red fonts a tiny bit. Enabling windows ClearType improves these fonts a little bit more but there is no complete fix for red text and italic blue text.

Hit up the AVS forum links i posted prior for more advanced info.

Curious to hear more opinions, especially those who have everything setup and running already :)

If you missed this deal Amazon has the LG LH30 32" for the same price today:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-32LH30-32-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266597112&sr=1-1
The worst kind of panel lottery with the LH30 series, almost none are S-IPS, many were AUO VA panels, but most of the new ones seem to be poor quality Chi-Mei panels, the last two having bad input lag numbers and the Chi Mei has bad smearing.

On a related note, most people seem to prefer IPS-alpha over LG S-IPS panels.

Personally i'd hit Google shopping or Bing shopping to checkout Panasonic L32S1 prices and just pay the small premium, or you may get lucky and find it on sale again.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The worst kind of panel lottery with the LH30 series, almost none are S-IPS, many were AUO VA panels, but most of the new ones seem to be poor quality Chi-Mei panels, the last two having bad input lag numbers and the Chi Mei has bad smearing.

On a related note, most people seem to prefer IPS-alpha over LG S-IPS panels.

Personally i'd hit Google shopping or Bing shopping to checkout Panasonic L32S1 prices and just pay the small premium, or you may get lucky and find it on sale again.

Ah...the only ones I have seen were S-IPS from around August or so.

Yes, please do as I have this as my Bedroom TV with and HTPC and after seeing it mounted and having no viewing angle issues at all, I would really like to get another and make it my main monitor. I LOVE this TV.

if anyone lives near a brandsmart usa they have this panasonic in store for $348.88

Back