Pakistan to Monitor Google for Blasphemy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Pakistan says it is going to monitor Google for blasphemous material from here on out. Wow, that will be quite the undertaking don’t you think?

The Ministry of Information Technology is also blocking at least 17 links on Youtube and other websites for showing "blasphemous material." "YouTube, Yahoo, Amazon, Bing, MSN, Hotmail and Google will be monitored with relation to anti-Islamic contents," said Khurram Mehran, spokesman for the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority.

Whatever, as long as they don't start harassing Google to do it for them.

Y'know, I can't speak for the youth of Pakistan, but I'd be pissed if they took my internet away because of Muhammad's hurt feelings.

Well, it's good to see everyone over there has their priorities straight.

Google does have a .com.pk site but I don't think they're silly enough to have an on-the-ground presence in Pakistan, so they won't have to do anything.

Well, it's good to see everyone over there has their priorities straight.

We're told to be tolerant of other cultures and religions, but do we really need to keep being tolerant of a culture who seems to constantly put forth a base idea of 'don't tolerant anything'? Reading this story about them now being upset at Google just seems to really bring it into perspective that you will never make the leaders of that area happy. Look at South Park - they made fun of EVERY major religion in a huge way except islam. That they barely made mention of at all. Then what happened - they got death threats because they even dared to mention the name Muhammad.

How can they really expect Google's automated computers to be able to figure out what is and what isn't blasphemy to muslims?

We're told to be tolerant of other cultures and religions, but do we really need to keep being tolerant of a culture who seems to constantly put forth a base idea of 'don't tolerant anything'? Reading this story about them now being upset at Google just seems to really bring it into perspective that you will never make the leaders of that area happy. Look at South Park - they made fun of EVERY major religion in a huge way except islam. That they barely made mention of at all. Then what happened - they got death threats because they even dared to mention the name Muhammad.

How can they really expect Google's automated computers to be able to figure out what is and what isn't blasphemy to muslims?

They're stuck in the middle ages, and we're not going to be able to change that.

They don't. They merely want control over another sector of their citizens' lives, lest the citizens actually find out that they're being severely oppressed by their leaders. It's also a futile gesture of attempting to keep themselves in the Dark Ages, as another poster said.

i'm curious as to what they refer to as blasphemous. would any website that suggests a logical counterargument to islam be labeled as offensive?

i'm going to be bold and say that muhammad is a false prophet. sorry [H], i just got you blocked ;)

I'm thinking they can subcontract this to china, ought to employ a few billion people

i'm curious as to what they refer to as blasphemous.

mohammed.png

Hence why the United States isnt as awful as people say. Even though it is pretty bad.

Great I think I will build a ranking page just for blaspheming needed the religion of wacked desert people.. :D

:/ _,,--,,_
/` .`\
/ ' _.-' \
| `'_{}_ |
| /` `\ |
\/ == == \/
/| (.)(.) |\
\| __)_ |/
|\/____\/|
| ` ~~ ` |
\ /
`.____.`

lol, thats a fail
try
Code:
   _,,--,,_
 /`       .`\
/  '  _.-'   \
|  `'_{}_    |
|  /`    `\  |
 \/ ==  == \/
 /| (.)(.) |\
 \|  __)_  |/
  |\/____\/|
  | ` ~~ ` |
  \        /
   `.____.`

How the hell are they going to pull this off? The entire internet is blasphemous to some of those ultra-conservative government reps. They might as well cut off everything except a state run website that hosts the original Qur'ran.

Fuck Islam. Muhammad would be turning over in his grave due to his follower's actions.

the second half of THIS.
/rant 1
What we are taught and let to be told about what Islam is about as far from true Islam that you can get.
Off all of the "followers of the Book" Islam is by far the most accepting and tolerant. What is being passed off as Islam is more blasphemous than what these nut jobs are trying to hunt down,

Personally I won't stop at "Fuck Islam".. I say Fuck organized religion as a whole. It has cause more bloodshed and atrocities than any other form organized humans have drummed up, plain and simple. Wouldn't God be pissed that we are slaughtering each other over different interpretations of his/her wishes? If he is an all-knowing/all-seeing/all-forgiving entitiy than why is there sin to begin with? Why would there have to be a Hell if He/She forgives all? Why would he offer to give you life in paradise for killing his own flock?

Gibberish. too many contradictions to possibly be the truth, logical thought without being tied to the emotional/societal trappings would let one see that plain as day.

/rant 0

peace, love, and frisbees for all. hooah

Hence why the United States isnt as awful as people say. Even though it is pretty bad.

Sorry but the U.S IS just as bad....... they already monitor a hella of alot of your Inet traffic and i am sure many other things, they take away rights, claim the laws dont apply to X situation cause they said so, screwing your freedoms.....

Monitoring the internet is one thing, but the US blocking a web page because of Obama jokes would be an entirely differant thing, and thats what the Paki's are planning. Just with Mohammed jokes.

Sorry but the U.S IS just as bad....... they already monitor a hella of alot of your Inet traffic and i am sure many other things, they take away rights, claim the laws dont apply to X situation cause they said so, screwing your freedoms.....

Very quickly, could you briefly give one example of how your life has been affected and/or limited due to each of the following;

1. they already monitor a hella of alot of your Inet traffic
2. they take away rights
3. screwing your freedoms

And also, because I know it will really hit people in the gut and open their eyes, could also provide one example of how the Patriot Act has negatively affected your life.

"Were in your lifez, takin yer freedomz"
- The Government

....and in a related story the rest of the world will be monitoring Pakistan for nuclear mushroom clouds...

We're told to be tolerant of other cultures and religions, but do we really need to keep being tolerant of a culture who seems to constantly put forth a base idea of 'don't tolerant anything'?

Definitely the biggest irony of tolerance is that we're supposed to tolerate intolerance.

Definitely the biggest irony of tolerance is that we're supposed to tolerate intolerance.

Maybe its like giving everyone freedom.

I tell Person A & Person B that they both are completely free to do whatever they want, but that individual freedom is the most important thing. So this inherently means that Person A cannot do anything that would limit the freedom of Person B and likewise Person B cannot do anything that limits the freedom of Person A.

So giving people the right to freedom actually ends up limiting their freedom....which I think is a brilliant balancing.

Theoretically that is what should be the role of the government, actuality is they do whatever they want.

We need an Internet Kill Switch for Pakistan, simple.

Same principle as anything else: don't like it, don't listen/watch/read/tune in.

I tell ya, humanity just depresses me more each and every freakin' day.

I don't like where this thread ended up. All of this vitriol against Islam, Muhammed, and religion in general has only succeeded in doing one thing: Keeping Pakistanis from getting [H]ard.

*sniff*

Very quickly, could you briefly give one example of how your life has been affected and/or limited due to each of the following;

1. they already monitor a hella of alot of your Inet traffic
2. they take away rights
3. screwing your freedoms

And also, because I know it will really hit people in the gut and open their eyes, could also provide one example of how the Patriot Act has negatively affected your life.
I don't think it has to do with what HAS happened to an individual who is voicing concern over the Patriot Act, but more about what COULD happen. It's the possibilities that are dissapointing and scary.

"Were in your lifez, takin yer freedomz"
- The Government
lolz

.....Fuck it, just blow them off the face of the earth and get it over with.

Something not blasphemous to Muslims.....

I guess just do not offer internet services to any pakistani. :)

Muhammad > ::logs on to the internet::
Internet < "we're sorry, you are not allowed to view this."
Muhammad > :mad:<RAGE>

You want results, look at what we did to the german and the japanese during WWII. If you really want to stop a people from doing something, you need to go in and terrorize the hell out of them. The UK did it with their bombers and blew them back into the stoneage. (The fire bombing of Dresden) The US did the same thing with Japan. (Tokyo fire bombing) UNRESTRICTED WARFARE!!!!!!!! Not this piddlywink shit we are doing by trying to control this hill and not controlling another place...Look at Vietnam, what did restricted warfare buy us? Not a god damn thing. It isn't doing shit right now either...I am by no means a war monger, but do it right, or don't do it at all....

gov = fail
org. religion = fail

/thread.

You could just say that "humans = fail" since they are the ones that use these for their personal agenda. At the core, religion and some types of government are good but people corrupt them. Systems change fast but human nature does not. People will always kill each other regardless of religion or government.

It'd be a better world if people stopped bashing religion, atheism, and so forth. To each his own.

if you want us to stop bashing religion. stop trying to shove it down our throats by politicizing it and using it to determine our nations domestic and foreign policies. I am not a religious person any longer. I also know that what we consider "worshiping" is NOT what Jesus taught. I think that he'd be more than a little upset that we've bastardized his teachings by forming massive economical entities that are supposedly in his name ( strangely also against previous writings in the bible about false prophets but I digress)

"my father is in you" does not equate repeating a prayer to a MORTAL (hail Mary)to forgive yourself of sin.

Back