Pair of AMD Opteron 6164 HE (12 cores each)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjkenned

[H]ard|Gawd
Bought 4 but couldn't get more than a dual socket motherboard. Lightly used Socket G34 6164 HE's 12 cores each (24 total):

Dual-Opteron-6164-HE.jpg

HE is the low-power version with a 65w ACP.

Asking $825 for the pair. (Sell new from Dell/Provantage and etc for $770-$830 each)

Badge for compliance purposes:

Last edited:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813151219

interesting... but lacking in the capital to pull it off...

Yea, it may take me a few months to get to the 4P market with STH.

The dual boards are much better. Something like a Supermicro H8DGU-F is in the $380 range albeit you start looking at UIO expansion cards with that. Then again IPMI 2.0/ KVM-over-IP plus dual Intel 82576 GigE controllers and one probably won't add much for folding. Not too bad since the UP G32 boards are in the 250 range and the DP C32 boards (basically single socked G34) are about $275.

Yea, it may take me a few months to get to the 4P market with STH.

The dual boards are much better. Something like a Supermicro H8DGU-F is in the $380 range albeit you start looking at UIO expansion cards with that. Then again IPMI 2.0/ KVM-over-IP plus dual Intel 82576 GigE controllers and one probably won't add much for folding. Not too bad since the UP G32 boards are in the 250 range and the DP C32 boards (basically single socked G34) are about $275.

there is an open box dual G34 asus... a nice board... I paid 400 for... is ~250 mark OB... got ipmi on it... ikvm

there is an open box dual G34 asus... a nice board... I paid 400 for... is ~250 mark OB... got ipmi on it... ikvm

If those were still available, I probably would have grabbed these chips this morning...

We are folders anonymous and if you came here for help to stop folding boy are you in for a surprise.

I am more of the enabling type... at OCW we called it CBD (computer builders disease)
no cure... can only be temporarily abated by creation of new computer.

Folders Anom. is a support group. We know there is no cure.....

We meet Tuesdays, bring tamales.

impressive price. interested in an ES x5650 as a trade?

Somewhat, but I really have no need for it right now (dual X5670 review is going up probably next week.)

I was thinking of picking up either a i7-970 or E5645 with the proceeds since they can be had for around $525 new and are fairly similar in performance with no quad-socket support. Thanks for the offer though!

Just curious to know the PPD average of a dual G34 system such as these.

I think Patriot was getting 16 min TPF from these things (see this post) Which I think is in the 90-100K ppd range if I'm not mistaken.

Big thing is that you can get a dual Interlagos compatible motherboard now, get decent performance with decently low power consumption, then go BD when it finally arrives, or when it gets less expensive.

Those are very shiny. I've been wanting to build a dual socket AMD rig. If someone could estimate what it would take to build a economy boxen to utilize these I may jump in with the big dogs.

You really want to have all four populated. It is about $33 for 2x 1GB ECC 1333MHz DRAM new so not too bad and very worth it.

If you are interested in that open box board, let me know, the 6164's are in one of those right now. Folding wattage with Dynatron A6 CPU coolers and a naked board (including SSD) using that X650 is 226w as a reference. You do need CPU coolers which really start around $40/ ea shipped and go up from there. The A6's folding are noticible, but not SUPER loud. Noctuas are on the way but they are like $70 shipped each.

Feel free to PM me with any questions since I have almost that exact setup (CPUs, PSU, motherboard) running except using 8x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws.

For those that like to see this stuff:
Dual-Opteron-6164-HE-Testbed.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I've looked over the financial horizon and I just can't hack it. I want to pay off my motorcycle by years end and this would push me to about April-May 2012. Good luck with the sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back