Painting Rubberized Texture?

I have a project I'm working on and I will need to paint it in the coming weeks. However the case that I'm working with has the rubberized texture on it.
I was wondering if anyone has experience working with this in their mods. How should I go about painting over it, working with it in general, etc?

The case is a BitFenix Phenom btw.

thin base coat of Krylon Fusion or rubber/bedliner spray (Plastidip or Duplicolor), then a very thin top coat of matte/flat. Glossy paints have a tendency to crack.

Is this to put the rubberized texture onto something? Or to paint over the top of the texture that is already there?

The case already has the rubberized texture on it and I'm wondering what will happen when I go to paint it. I was wondering if anyone has gotten a case with this texture and tried to paint over it. I'm afraid it won't be as straight forward as metal or plastic and I don't want to get into it and somehow ruin it.

My guess is use a really good primer. try not to sand it because i think it would mess things up. I would think a few thing coats of primer and a few days to dry. never rush painting.

The one problem with rubberized texture is cracking over time. It will happen regardless of primer and paint used.

Thanks for the guidance. I think I'm going to try to avoid the situation completely. I think I'm going to put metal plates over the texture in spots and paint those instead. The project will be more "military-esque" anyway, so a flat painted surface isn't really required.

If you spray it with plastic adhesion promoter (Autozone and Lowe's both sell this) then spray it with primer and paint, you'll have the best chance.

Thanks for the guidance. I think I'm going to try to avoid the situation completely. I think I'm going to put metal plates over the texture in spots and paint those instead. The project will be more "military-esque" anyway, so a flat painted surface isn't really required.

How about sand it off, finish it off with some high grit sanding and then carbon fibre vinyl?

How about sand it off, finish it off with some high grit sanding and then carbon fibre vinyl?

It's a possibility. I wanted to know what would happen if I tried to sand it. That was ultimately my biggest concern. I didn't want to start sanding it and get into something that would make it look like shit.

thin base coat of Krylon Fusion or rubber/bedliner spray (Plastidip or Duplicolor), then a very thin top coat of matte/flat. Glossy paints have a tendency to crack.
Interesting process! I've never painted an entire case and do not have paint experience so I have to ask, is the first coat of plasti dip in case it starts cracking you can peel it off and do it again? I have a NZXT H440 that's bright red and was thinking of painting it once spring comes. I did plan on using plasti dip.

It's a possibility. I wanted to know what would happen if I tried to sand it. That was ultimately my biggest concern. I didn't want to start sanding it and get into something that would make it look like shit.

If you sand it you'll get to the naked plastic surface underneath. It's a spray-on texture from the factory. If you do that, then you just use whatever plastic painting process you'd normally need to, like adhesion promoter plus paints, Krylon Fusion or Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X, or whatever else you are comfy with.

Okay awesome. I wasn't sure how easy it would come off when sanding it down. This is a reassuring.

Thanks!

Back