Packard Bell Win7 laptop - unmountable boot error

Rikki

2[H]4U
Hello.

A friend gave me their laptop to fix, it doesnt boot up. Just BSODs then reboots.

Tried safe mode, nope. Tried recovery option, just reboots.

Tried connecting the drive to a working PC as a slave and Windows either wont boot or takes ages to come up (from the working PC main drive) then it wont see the other drive.

Tried an Ubuntu live CD/USB and it sees the drive and I can copy data from it but dont know how to fix it (tried NTFSTools, didnt help).

So any ideas how I can get the thing up and running so I can at least use the Media Creator utility to make the Windows 7 install DVDs that my friend DIDNT bother to do in the first place LOL.

Many thanks

Rik

if its a Win7 install, try booting from any Win7 DVD and running repair?

Packard Bell? Good Lord, how old is that laptop? I really doubt any Packard Bell PC or laptop (if they even made one) would work with Windows 7.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you meant Hewlett Packard, just for my own sanity. ;) In which case, if I understand correctly, you connected the laptop drive to a working PC, an then that PC had trouble booting? Sounds like the laptop drive is failing.

If you can copy data from it using the Ubuntu live CD, then I would try to extract as much data from it as possible and save it to another drive, then run some diagnostic tools on it (the HDD manufacturer should have free diagnostic tools available for download).

Packard Bell? Good Lord, how old is that laptop? I really doubt any Packard Bell PC or laptop (if they even made one) would work with Windows 7.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you meant Hewlett Packard, just for my own sanity. ;) In which case, if I understand correctly, you connected the laptop drive to a working PC, an then that PC had trouble booting? Sounds like the laptop drive is failing.

If you can copy data from it using the Ubuntu live CD, then I would try to extract as much data from it as possible and save it to another drive, then run some diagnostic tools on it (the HDD manufacturer should have free diagnostic tools available for download).

Its about a year and a half old

wYo6RyZ.jpg

Drive seems fine, I copied data off it fine, Spinrite doesnt see any issues either. The file system is the problem, my friend was uninstalling Norton off it when it crashed and on reboot just gives the BSOD.

Wow, I had no idea Packard Bell were still in business.

Anyway, if the drive is fine, then my next guess is bad RAM

The drive is ok, the RAM is ok as I ran Ubuntu's built in memtest86 on it. Its just the file system has become corrupt and Im not sure how to proceed :(

IMO if the FS has become corrupted its time to nuke it and reinstall from scratch. I would grab the users profile and save that but for sanity sake and expediency I would do a new scratch install for that lappy. (as an added bonus you get to skip all the bloat-ware with this install)

Back