P5B-VM is HOT!

pietrek

n00b
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
8
Hi everyone!

I have a question/I need an advice guys. Should I be worried if my brand new's P5B-VM northnridge heatsink is so hot that it burns my fingers when I touch it? Hardware monitor shows 33 degrees Celcius on SYS Temp. sensor, but it feels like 330 :) I've removed the radiator got rid of that rubber thermal-pad thing and slapped some CoolerMaster's Premium in there just in case, you know.
I didn't do that to make the HS cooler, I just wanted to make that poor northbridge feel a bit better, and I think I did, 'cause now, the HS is even hotter :)

Anyway, should the G965 HS be THAT hot? The chip would have to hit like 90 degress to warm the cooling that much...

I'm kinda confused :-/ Never had an Intel before and this seems odd to me... Very odd...
I've even downclocked the CPU back to it's stock 1.8GHz, 'cause I thought that was the reason, but nope, still feels like surface of the sun :)

TIA for any answers!
 
Hell yea, hot melt glue a fan on it, common issue, hotter n hell, and if it is not, just means the factory themal goop is crap too and heat is not getting transfered.

Seriously, MCH/northbridge of all the recent Intel chipsets gets very hot. Cool it with a fan.

I have one on the MCH/northbridge and two at the top (running med to low speed).

http://mysite.verizon.net/ressdxka/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/computer003.jpg

I was lucky enough that I could rip off the stupid "bling" cover over the heatsink (wth were they thinking) and by spreading the outer fins a 40mm fan popped right in. a zillion different ways to attach one have been posted to get a fan, or airflow, or replace the HS with an aftermarket one (not sure of your heatsink/heatpipe configuration and too lazy to look it up atm) So do anything you can to get direct airflow on that heatsink.

The thermalright HR-05 seems the choice for a replacment cooler if you can fit it in, but just getting a small fan ripped out of a el-cheapo HD bay cooler (you get 2 or 3 fans for 3.99 + shipping vs paying 4.99 a fan + shipping ;) ) will do the trick. Slap it on anyway you can think of.
 
Thanks a ton for another good advice mate!

<virtual beer>

That Thermalright HR-05 looks like a winner to me :)
See, I don't like buzzing fans too much (already have 5 and evga's one is killing my ears!), so I've been thinking about something passive. Here it is! It's thin enough to fit on this mATX little thing, and squeeze between the graphics card and Freezer 7 Pro... I hope so.
The layout of this board has some... flaws :)
With a little bit of turning and cable re-routing everything should work.

Anyway, I'll try to get one soon to cool that poor little chip down.. more than a bit I think!

Speaking of chips! How come these Intel NBs have no protective heat-spreader or something?!
Mounting anything bigger than the stock cooler reminds me of those AMD K7 bare-core CPUs, a friend of mine crushed his Barton once, I've been there, I've seen it and I have a trauma since then :) Gonna have to have a shot of vodka to stop my hands from shaking and those horrible memories from coming! Geez!


Anyway, big thanks again Bill :)
Best regards!


Update!

First thing: Sorry for bumping an old thread!
Second thing: I got myself that HR-05, was supposed to be P5B-VM compatible (checked Thermalright's web site before buying: http://thermalright.info/thermalright/article_info.php?articles_id=145)
Guess what... It's TOTALLY uncompatible! It WON'T fit, no way!
Here's a photo of this mobo: http://www.matbe.com/images/biblio/art_computex-2006-compte-rendu/000000040991.jpg
And here: http://www.pc-icebox.de/images/hr-05-sli_unten.jpg is the heatsink.

The bad thing is that this mounting clip can't be hooked to motherboard's mounting system, it'd have to be the other way around, kinda in opposite corners.
In fact, neither the P5B-VM, nor P5B-VM SE and P5B-VM DO are compatible with this cooler, and still they are marked as "Okay" on Thermalright's page.

I'm so damn upset with Thermalright, it seems that they didn't even bother to take a look at the photos of these boards to check how the mounting hooks are placed...
Already mailed them about this issue, but I'm not expecting to get an answer :-/
I'm a bit upset with Asus too, for putting such a small heatsink on such a hot northbridge... Eh...

// End of rant! Damn!
 
Back
Top