P5B DLX, only 1 IDE?

Brahman

n00b
Hello. Just got my new stuff; P5B DLX, E6300, 1gb DDR2 XMS2. Stuffs from earlier computer; 120gb ide, dvd-rw ide and so on. Now, the problem. I'm putting the computer together and when I'm connecting the harddrive to the motherboard I see that it's only one ide? How am I suppose to connect my dvd-rw/cdrom now :/? Can't install XP with neither an HDD or an CDrom..

either get an SATA drive and buy a converter to run your PATA drive off an SATA port. I believe newgg has em.

I just used the HDD cable to both cdrom and hdd, master and slave, and it worked. Now to my second problem :). The CPU is in bios 84 degrees (celsius). The cooler is where it's supposed to be, should i uninstall and reinstall it?

Newer motherboards are coming with fewer EIDE ports than ever. This isn't a surprise as SATA has been around for quite some time now. I guess manufacturers think that most people will have upgraded to SATA for DIY PC's by now.

The 965P and i975x chipsets using the ICH7R and ICH8/ICH8R southbridges do not support PATA at all. on the P5B Deluxe, IDE support is gained through the inclusion of the JM363 controller chip added to the board.

For some reason, SATA optical drives have not caught on in the US which I find upsetting.

On the heat issue:

Did you use thermal paste? If so, how much? Too much is just as bad as too little if not worse. Did the heatsink already have a thermal interface pad? Did you use thermal paste and the TIM?

Not trying to treat you like an idiot, I don't know what your level of skill is, I am just covering the basics. :cool:

Hehe, it was thermal paste on the heater, so I just putted in position and pushed the "pins" down two at a time. What do you meen with the TIM?

Brahman said:
Hehe, it was thermal paste on the heater, so I just putted in position and pushed the "pins" down two at a time. What do you meen with the TIM?

Thermal Interface Material. It's often a square greyish colored pad that is pre-applied to most stock style heatsinks. You use this in place of thermal paste. Its easier to use and to take off, but if you remove the heatsink, you must replace the pad, or switch to paste.

The downside is that it isn't quite as effective as thermal paste is. Though the difference isn't earth shattering. Maybe 1c to 2c?

I've seen people apply thermal paste to a TIM and slap the heatsink on a processor like that. It doesn't work very well at all. That is why I asked.

Hello. I have now reinstalled the cooler, and it helped a Little bit. The CPU is now 48 degrees celsius and every 10th second it raises 0,5 degrees :p (IN BIOS). What else can I try to do? The thermal paste that's on the cooler is not much, on my last computer I hade much more paste and then it was around 30-35 degrees.

yes, what I do is use the ide for the dvd I have and you MUST get SATA harddrives, that is part of your upgrade expense. I'm surprised you didn't figure this out prior to buying the mb.

Brahman said:
Hello. I have now reinstalled the cooler, and it helped a Little bit. The CPU is now 48 degrees celsius and every 10th second it raises 0,5 degrees :p (IN BIOS). What else can I try to do? The thermal paste that's on the cooler is not much, on my last computer I hade much more paste and then it was around 30-35 degrees.

Sounds like a contact issue, your HSF isn't properly seated. Make sure to remove all the old paste ect. from the HSF & the cpu using 90+% ethol alcohol or something similar; clean it meticulously, then follow the directions for applying a good compound like ARctic silver 5 from their website. A small dot in the middle of the cpu should be enough, about the size of half a grain of rice or slightly larger.

When you have temps creeping up like that it just means that your cpu isn't able to transfer any heat and it's not stabilizing at a certain temperature your HSF should be able to provide. This is certainly an installation/seating issue.

OK thanks. I just connected my 120mm rear fan (sounds like hell) and now it's around 40-44 degrees. I think i'll wait until I have more money, and buys a CNPS9500 AT and Arctic Silver 5..

Dan_D said:
The 965P and i975x chipsets using the ICH7R and ICH8/ICH8R southbridges do not support PATA at all.
That's not true. Every member of ICH7 family has one PATA controller (and 4 SATA). For example,

ABIT AW9D (non-MAX): ICH7R, PATA/SATA: 1/4, no additional storage controller

renethx said:
That's not true. Every member of ICH7 family has one PATA controller (and 4 SATA). For example,

There is one PATA ide port, but I don't think its the chipset (965X,975X) that supports it. On my ASUS 975X/965X boards there is a "J micron" chip that supports the ide port.

renethx said:

Your right. It's the ICH8's that do not support PATA.

fsh42na said:
There is one PATA ide port, but I don't think its the chipset (965X,975X) that supports it. On my ASUS 975X/965X boards there is a "J micron" chip that supports the ide port.
OK, I should have mentioned the following technical document:

Intel® I/O Controller Hub 7 (ICH7) Family Datatsheet

1.1 Overview
Integrated IDE controller supports Ultra ATA 100/6/33 (page 44)
Southbridge ICH7/ICH7R was released in June 2005, along with 945P/PL/G/GZ northbridge and is also coupled with 975X. If you look at many 945P(or 975X)/ICH7 boards, you will notice that there is at least one IDE controller in any of them, whether it has an additional storage controller or not. For a complete list, take a look at:

Core 2 Compatible Motherboards (pdf)

On the other hand, ICH8 (coupled with P965/G965/Q965/Q963) lacks PATA controller.

fsh42na said:
I stand corrected. :eek: So much to learn coming from the AMD camp :eek:

Well I have worked with both, but over the last year or so, I have definately worked with more AMD based systems and motherboards.

Brahman said:

Those temps are normal for Core 2 Duo... anywhere from 40-50 at idle is fine. It's STILL running cooler than you last computer since the temp sensors on Core 2 Duo are in 3 places in the die, whereas you older CPU probably takes temp readings from outside the die. Inside the die = hotter, outside = cooler. You can try and look up "PECI" and see if you can find some info on it.

Back