P35 mobo for reasonably priced?

HighYield

Gawd
I was putting together a new system for a E6700 this weekend and the factory replacement Asus p5wdh deluxe board I had was DOA from asus. I'm looking for a reasonably priced P35 board for the E6700 that would run with corasir DDR2 800 c4 ram.
I usually go Asus but they are kind of pricey for a folding rig

How about the gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L it is $90 from newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059

Asus P5K-E looks nice but it is about $150 with shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131225

You guys know how to fold on the cheap, what's the best bang for the buck...keeping in mind that at some point it would be nice to drop in a Q9450 in about a year. ;)

Love the Gigabyte P35 boards. They are all rock solid and good OCers. The DS3L can be had occassionally for less than $90, but I think it has been a couple of weeks since I've since it lower than the $90.

another for the DS3L

That Asus is way to much for a folding rig.

This Abit is a pretty nice motherboard. I got one for my third quad and it has that Q6600 running 3.6Ghz with no trouble.

I would personally steer away from the DS3L. I originally purchased one for the third quad but the damn thing would not overclock at all. Every time I manually set the FSB, even to stock speeds, the motherboard would reset the overclock settings back to stock. I was not exactly happy with that. Ended up selling the motherboard to a guy and got the Abit IP-35 and haven't looked back.

I had gone for the Gigabyte board because I was very satisfied with the DS3R which is in my main system. It's a good overclocker and has all the options I want. However, the DS3L would not overclock even though it's the same as the DS3R except it has a few less features. It doesn't seem to be the case with all the DS3Ls, but I won't get another one because I don't want to deal with that hassle. Unfortunately, it seems some DS3Rs have the same problem with a newer BIOS. I had tried just about every BIOS for the DS3L and it didn't change a thing. A friend of mine has the DS3L and it overclocks just fine for him.

The abit IP35-E is only 60 after rebate and people have had pretty good luck with them. Or the IP-35 pro is like 135 after rebate. I really like mine. I've used some gigabyte boards in some builds, they've been solid as well.

The abit IP35-E is only 60 after rebate and people have had pretty good luck with them. Or the IP-35 pro is like 135 after rebate. I really like mine. I've used some gigabyte boards in some builds, they've been solid as well.

The IP35 is great if you can get it on the cheap, I have one in my main rig.

I did however have problems with it not liking anything with an IDE interface. :(

I'm for DS3L, or IP35-E...whichever is cheaper at the time
it just so happened that the abit had the $30 rebate on both times I was looking, I'm still testing the e6300, I'm currently at 486mhz stable w/ ballistix 6400s at 4-5-5-15
I have a feeling my RAMs are going to hold me back.

I did however have problems with it not liking anything with an IDE interface. :(

I've seen some people have problems with IDE devices. I don't have a single SATA device in my e2180 machine. My optical is the only device hooked up to my mobo (boot works), I have 3 HDDs (including boot) running through a RC-208 IDE to PCI controller. Floppy works too, I guess I'm lucky:)

The JMicron controllers which most of these boards use is pretty much crap especially when it comes to Linux. The controllers are just shitty no matter how you look at them, though. I've had nothing but trouble with them and never use them for anything.

x2 on the IP35E and DS3, used both and both are great at OCing. The IP35E will be cheaper if a rebate ever comes back.

another vote for either the IP35-E by Abit or Gigabytes GA-P35-DS3L

Either will do well at 400mhz, go for whatever you can get for the cheapest!

Anyone ever order from Tech micro in the link above? That is a pretty good deal without a rebate!

Man up and plunk it down for the P5K-E... Best board I've owned. This board rocks your pants for OC and stability. P5B-DX in second place.
(Oh, should have mentioned I don't use the IDE controller, SmokeRngs makes a good point, it's a bitch on any modern intel board to use IDE.. Sata burners are cheap though, and linux loves the Sata so far)

Look for IP35-E on Ebay and you will find a big listing for about 26$ each + shipping. Granted it's not a Buy it now price, the sheer amount of boards will ensure you will be bidding for under 30$ each, which is cheap. I bid on 2 for my future Q6600 boxens ;)

Look for IP35-E on Ebay and you will find a big listing for about 26$ each + shipping. Granted it's not a Buy it now price, the sheer amount of boards will ensure you will be bidding for under 30$ each, which is cheap. I bid on 2 for my future Q6600 boxens ;)

Dang, those are cheap. Good find there.

I'm looking at them... but shipping is 20 bucks :eek:

I contacted the guy to see if he would come down on shipping at all... No response.

If you get it for 35 and add 20 for shipping, it's still a good deal.
Be better if it was 10 for shipping like it should be. :mad:

No where in his listing can I find that the board is new.

Man up and plunk it down for the P5K-E... Best board I've owned. This board rocks your pants for OC and stability. P5B-DX in second place.
(Oh, should have mentioned I don't use the IDE controller, SmokeRngs makes a good point, it's a bitch on any modern intel board to use IDE.. Sata burners are cheap though, and linux loves the Sata so far)

Thanks for all the advice. The [H]orde look after their own! Probably the best thing you guys did for me was to keep my mobo spending down. Normally I follow Mwarps advice and just plunk it down for a good Asus, but for a linux folding box that the kids will do a little surfing on you can't justify a lot of $$. You need to plan wisely so that when you need "D" the wife won't cut you off.

Speaking of "D", with the E6700 system I may be 10,500 ppd more or less. MFLOP and ZOOMZOOMZOOM you better pick it up if you want to catch me!

Killer[MoB];1032305439 said:
No where in his listing can I find that the board is new.

I didn't either so it may be refurbished or untested. If I win one, I'll let everyone know in what state I will receive it (at least, there is a DOA warranty so if the board doesn't work on reception, I will return it and lose some bucks).

Another vote for the P35-DS3L, I have this board and a DS4 for my two quads, they overclock the same.

$87CDN and change at Directcanada right now (I only frequent the Canadian sites, for some reason or another...:rolleyes: )

+1 DS3L for budget. Note the northbridge is smaller so it gets hotter if you do any serious o/c. buy a small fan for $3 to rectify this concern.

DS3R has RAID but overall it runs a bit cooler than its smaller brother.

Back