• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

P35-DS3L + e8400 not saving BIOS Overclock

Tumdace

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
85
Ok here is my problem..

I had it at 3.8, stable.. running perfect.. till one day I restarted my PC.. checked CPU-Z, and it was at 333x9, 3ghz... so I restarted.. checked BIOS.. it said 425x9 (3.8ghz)

Im confused as to why my BIOS says one thing but CPU-Z (as well as Everest and the computer monitor on my PC) all say 3ghz.. but hte bios says 3.8ghz..

oh and my ram is slower too as a result because I have it on a 2.4multiplier..

Tried re-flashing bios.. didnt work, tried loading defaults didnt work.. one thing I havent tried is shorting the cmos jumper.. which I will try when I get home.. just wondering if that will probably work.. its driving me nuts not knowing what the problem is.
 
Do you have C1E and Speedstep turned off? They lower your multiplier when your computer isn't under load? Might be a dumb question but it sounds like you haven't, many people including myself have had this problem and under CPU-Z it looks like your O/C is lower but it's only b/c your computer isn't under sufficient load to raise it up to your full O/C, it is an energy saving option, but if you'd like to have your full O/C all the time then disable both of them.
 
its probably a bad overclock. The 680i checks your overclock on start up, if its unstable in any way it will default to stock speeds for that particular boot up. Maybe somethings not 100% and thats what happend. I can only guess.

Speed step wont show your FSB change. It wouldnt show 333 in windows, it would show like 420+ as thats what it takes to get to 3.8. Definately not a speedstep issue.
 
I am confused, your title says bios settings are not being saved but in the body of the post you say they are. Per reply above it is probably C!E and or speedstep but I would think they would drop the multi to 6.

I could also be that the versions of the programs you are using don't correctly recognize that fairly new CPU.


Gigabytes have been doing this since the first P965 boards. Apparently the "stability check" during POST is twitchy/sensitive. One time it will boot fine with OC setting and then the next time it will not like your settings and reset to factory defaults. The only reasonable explanation for this (other than a bad board, its happened) is that something is just on the edge according to the POST test. Finding out exactly what it is can be a chore. My board displays post codes as it boots if you turn off "fast boot" and disable the logo screen. It changes fast and is hard to read but might provide a clue as to what sub-system the board is choking on.

Dear Gigabyte

Would it be so damn hard if the "stability test" during POST, when failing and deciding to reset the BIOS, wrote a failure code to a byte in the non volatile memory so if the board reset we could go into the bios, read the fail code and AT LEAST HAD A CLUE ?
 
Yes the first thing i did was turn off c1e and eist..

im not that stupid
 
I am confused, your title says bios settings are not being saved but in the body of the post you say they are. Per reply above it is probably C!E and or speedstep but I would think they would drop the multi to 6.

I could also be that the versions of the programs you are using don't correctly recognize that fairly new CPU.


Gigabytes have been doing this since the first P965 boards. Apparently the "stability check" during POST is twitchy/sensitive. One time it will boot fine with OC setting and then the next time it will not like your settings and reset to factory defaults. The only reasonable explanation for this (other than a bad board, its happened) is that something is just on the edge according to the POST test. Finding out exactly what it is can be a chore. My board displays post codes as it boots if you turn off "fast boot" and disable the logo screen. It changes fast and is hard to read but might provide a clue as to what sub-system the board is choking on.

Dear Gigabyte

Would it be so damn hard if the "stability test" during POST, when failing and deciding to reset the BIOS, wrote a failure code to a byte in the non volatile memory so if the board reset we could go into the bios, read the fail code and AT LEAST HAD A CLUE ?

....

bios settings are not being APPLIED? that sound better?
 
oh and incase i didnt say it in the first post..or incase u guys just plan on ignoring what i said.. because i did say it

i had it at 3.8ghz stable, for 2 days.. checked cpu-z.. it said 425x9.. so it WAS working...

then one day i just restarted.. loaded up cpu-z, it said 333x9.. restarted..checked bios.. bios said fsb of 425.. so i booted windows again.. checked cpu-z, checked everest.. both programs recognize its an e8400 wolfdale.. but it says 333x9
 
nvm i solved my own problem..

cleared cmos.. it worked..

its just weird that the board does that...

and i agree with billparish...

please please please... lol.. why does it just restart for no reason.. give us some kind of clue that we messed up.. too high fsb? too high memory? i dont know..

i think the limit for my overclock is 3.8 though..
 
even if it was working before , theres still the possibility that it resorted to the lower speeds because something is borderline.
 
if its randomly rebooting, it sounds liek your overclock isnt stable. It doesnt mean that you cant go days without a reboot. Hell unstable, I can run crysis for a while, but eventually I will get a BSOD or a reboot. It could be after 10 minutes, or after 2 days, but eventually, there will be an issue. Its more random then anything.

Use a program to determine if your stable or not. Dual Prime 95's, or Orthos.
 
I am having a very similar problem with my system i’ve been running my e2180 at 2.8ghz for a month and now yesterday it no longer works I’ve tried default bios settings and resetting cmos i'm also using the same board
 
Back
Top