P3 tualatin upgrade not working?

clreinstein

Limp Gawd
I got a good deal on a p3 1.4ghz 512L2 server processor. Its a compaq processor. Anyways i got that and the adapter to put it into the P3 system in my sig. I installed it turned it on and hard drive runs then stops but nothing comes up on screen. I dont know what to do to make it work. Could it be the dell bios? Its has an intel d820lp mobo so could I flash the intel bios to it? Not sure what i did wrong here. The new cpu came with some sort of power thing that goes on a dual processor server boards. Please help ????

If the system won't post, then it is probably an incompatibility between it and the mainboard. Put your old processor back in and try to find an updated bios.

I put the old processor back in and it works. Dell hasnt released a new bios since 2001 and that was before the new cpu have came out. Could I flash it with the intel bios instead and get rid of the dell bios?

I looked and the latest version of the bios that intel has for this board provides support for the later generation processors, cause according to intel my mobo should only support up to 933mhz so maybe this bios might do it?

Yes you can flash to the Intel bios. A bunch of us did this back with the Powerleap Tuallys and xpsr's [P2 450] in my case.
The Dell A13 bios worked fine for the Powerleap 1.2 Tually for me while I was still under dell warranty. Later I flashed an Intel bios.
The bios recognized the 1.2ghz Tualatin as a Pentium Pro 500 in the screen but it operated at 1.2ghz. It was dam quick and a noticable improvement over the P3 850 which I had in there also.
The Powerleap adapter had a voltage regulator on it as i recall. the P3 850 went in there straight up no problems.
Other guys ran 1ghz P3's before the Powerleap/Tuallys.

My current server is running with a Powerleap 1.4 ghz Tualatin Celeron in a SLOT 1 MOBO. Before I flashed that Intel Bios to your Dell m/b, go to www.powerleap.com. In their compatibilty list their is a special Dell section. I could be wrong but flashing the Intel BIOS to your Dell mobo might not be good. Check out the Powerleap website and see what you find out. My Tualatin runs a 100 mhz FSB and has 256KB of L2. I think yours runs a 133 mgz FSB and hs 512 KB of L2. Come back after your visit and I'll see if I can help ou further.

Ill check out that site. I used an adapter from upgradeware.com. Hey bloefield how do i go about flashing to the intel bios. A step by step would be good. Yeah my xps only has a dell version A08 bios available.

Also maybe I got the wrong adapter? Powerleaps adapter doesnt show support for my system. The upgradeware adapter I have lists :
Dimension 4100
Optiplex GX110
Optiplex GX115 (provided by Phil Chung)
Optiplex GX150
Optiplex GX200

as compatible. There is the one other adapter that I see on ebay that is configurable.

its probably the adapter.

I think you need the powerleap adapter that has the power regulation thingy to trick the CPU in to booting.

But it could be that you your mobo will only handle a 100FSB tualatin.

My P3 already runs at 133mhz fsb. They have this adapter on ebay that lets you set the voltage and fsb and such. Should I get the adapter or try flashing to an intel bios first?

I'll answer your second qustion but stay away from the ? about flashing that intel bios to your Dell m/b. I've found using a medium sized safety pin or sewing needle works best. It's the size where the the diameter of the pin fits nice and snug between a straight row of pins (kinda like a feeler guage if you will). Position the pin almost on a parallel plane with the bottom of the cpu with the sharp point of the pin placed in between the bent pins. Gently push it thru the bent pins (it will remind you of a farmer plowing rows in a field). The bent pins will align perfectly straight usually on the first try, but if not, for sure on the second try. It's almost a guaranteed auto-straightener. After you go down the row and straighten the bent cpu pins in one direction take the pin and push it down the column of bent pins at an angle 90 degrees to the same row you just straightened.
The bent pins should now be perfectly 90 degrees to the circuit board of the cpu or straight. Hope this makes sense. I works great on intel cpu's. Never tried it on an AMD.

This is what upgradeware sent me so now I need to figure out how to flash the other bios.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Dell Bxxx/Bxxxr were already tested. It works only with PIII “Coppermine” but it does NOT work with Celeron/PIII “Tualatin” processor because of BIOS issues. (Generally, BIOS decides the success of CPU upgrade.) Sorry to tell you this outcome L

Best regards

Tech Support

Do I just flash it as if I were updating the dell bios, or do I just put the intel bios on a disk and restart and let it run the disk? I dont want my computer to stop working cause I screwed up the flash.

Are you sure it's an Intel Bios? Usually 2 companies make BIOS chips. One is Phoenix/Award, and AMI (American Megatrends Inc). Look at the BIOS chip in your Dell. It will be the socketed chip close to the CMOS battery. They usually put a sticker/label on the chip telling you who makes it. I'd say don't follow Intels BIOS flashing until you're 100% sure it Intel's BIOS chip. Let me know. One thing to remember is just because it's intels m/b doesn't guarantee it's Intel's BIOS. Let me know.

Originally posted by md262626
Are you sure it's an Intel Bios? Usually 2 companies make BIOS chips. One is Phoenix/Award, and AMI (American Megatrends Inc). Look at the BIOS chip in your Dell. It will be the socketed chip close to the CMOS battery. They usually put a sticker/label on the chip telling you who makes it. I'd say don't follow Intels BIOS flashing until you're 100% sure it Intel's BIOS chip. Let me know. One thing to remember is just because it's intels m/b doesn't guarantee it's Intel's BIOS. Let me know.

WTF are you talking about?

Its an Intel branded BIOS, just like ASUS, ABIT, etc... doesnt mean that company made the BIOS chip! It means that company made the motherboard and the BIOS probably made by AMI, Pheonix, etc.... has been customized to work on that motherboard.

So whats the deal here?? Can I do this or not? I see alot of chips that say intel on them and one that says american megatrends.

md26 and chris whats the deal here im confused? Md26 you said you flashed to the intel bios could you give me some direction please.

I believe Dell has boards made mostly by Intel and I've also heard that Asus has made boards for them.

The chips (chipset, lan, bios, etc..) on the board are made by various manufacturers and require drivers usually from them.
Ex's:
810/815/875/865 Intel Chipsets... (northbridge & southbridge)
Realtek LAN or Sound chips
Amer. megatrend bios chip
etc.

But you need the BIOS that matches your motherboard.
Also there are companies out there that can sell you a bios. But not really necessary. Look for a model number screened on the motherboard PCB. That might help you find out the manufacturer of your motherboard. B/c thats what you need, the correct motherboard manufacturer BIOS. Not individual chip markings on the motherboard.

Ok so its says on most of the chips intel but one by the battery says american megatrends. Ill see if I find other markings on the board. What is the PCB? Also on the chip that says american megatrends is something like smsc or other. So I dont want the intel bios because its not them who made the bios or the mobo they just make the chipsets, I want the bios from the actual manufacturer of the mobo?

Originally posted by clreinstein
Ok so its says on most of the chips intel but one by the battery says american megatrends. Ill see if I find other markings on the board. What is the PCB? Also on the chip that says american megatrends is something like smsc or other. So I dont want the intel bios because its not them who made the bios or the mobo they just make the chipsets, I want the bios from the actual manufacturer of the mobo?

Intel also does make motherboards. So it could possibly be made by Intel. (confusing b/c they make chipsets, cpus & motherboards)

PCB = printed circuit board (motherboard)

But you have the right idea now.

Ok im pretty sure its an intel board. ill look around to make sure. If it is an intel board do you have a link to the bios and some instructions.

Ok I find the AA numbers that intel was talking about, they are AA A12870-408. I assume this means I have an intel board am Im sorta sure its a D820LP so could that be the bios I need?

Now that im sure its an intel board, is there anyway to find out of the latest bios release will support the tualatin processor?

Originally posted by clreinstein
Now that im sure its an intel board, is there anyway to find out of the latest bios release will support the tualatin processor?

Would you like me to wipe your hiney too? Come on do some research yourself and find out. Thats where I found that stuff... just typed intel.com... went to motherboards... etc.. I dont have time to do tech support for free. Unless you want to start paying me $40/hr to find these things out for you.

Look for BIOS revisions history. Usually they tell you what fixes or updates are in each revisions. Look for "Microcode support for Tualatin" or .13 etc.

Ok i tried to flash to the intel bios and it didnt work. It wouldnt install the intel bios. What do I have to do to get it to flash. I read something about clearing the cmos with the jumper and then it should allow me to flash any bios? Ive never had a problem with flashing bioses before what do I do? I contacted intel but wanted to see if anyone knew anything different.

there are certain commands for the flash program...
I forgot which one bypasses the protection if the BIOS code doesnt match the previous bios code. I've done it before on an old Micron Millenia Max GS, which had a Tyan Trinity 400 motherboard. Once I flashed it to the Tyan (motherboard maker) BIOS it actually even gave me FSB adjustments. (not just the latest microcode)

for example:

flash.exe biosfilename.bin /py /sn /f /cc /r

py = program yes
sn = save no
f = flash
cc = clear cmos
r = reboot
?? = bypass bios codes not matching

You could render your motherboard useless if its not the correct matching BIOS for the motherboard. So DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

One of these could be it... I just dont know what they are
/CP
/CD
/WB

I think if you type
flashprogramname.exe /h
it shows the help menu with all the commands.

Ill see what I can find, cause I know this is the right bios for the board. I confirmed it with the intel bios id codes. Im waiting to hear from intel also. Does anyone know more about chrisf6969 said?

didnt think they would be. They dont want to piss off Dell.

why are you bothing with upgrading it? What do you need and extra 100-400Mhz for. You're at 1Ghz already, you would only get a minimal increase in performance. If you're doing it for gaming you would do a lot better by getting a better videocard for your P4 system. (and/or your P3 system)

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/cpu_charts-22.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-09.html

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1608&p=14

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1650&p=4

etc...

changing CPU's doesnt have as big of a performance impact as videocards

I know but ive already got the processor and want to make it work. I use both computers for cad and animation.

That motherboard probably cannot even generate the properly voltage for the tualatin (1.45V, 933MHz Slot 1 is 1.7V).
I hope you didn't already fry it trying it in there.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D820LP/lp_proc.htm
Says it will only support up to a 933MHz

The only reason these other people have theirs working is because they're using a special adapter which adjusts the multipler/voltage properly.

so maybe I should try the powerleap adapter since it lets you adjust for voltage and such? I think the one I have does auto adjust but I havent heard back from upgradeware. I still want to get it flashed to the other bios so I will have more control over my system. Anyone used the upgradeware adapter?

The board obviously supports higher than 933mhz since it came factory with a 1ghz. I dont think I fried the cpu.

Originally posted by chrisf6969

for example:

flash.exe biosfilename.bin /py /sn /f /cc /r

I think if you type
flashprogramname.exe /h
it shows the help menu with all the commands.

or if that doesn't work, just look on intels site..
Best of luck man, you need WAY too much hand holding to have done this before.

... try typing "what is a PCB" into www.google.com next time.. sheez.

Originally posted by chrisf6969
Would you like me to wipe your hiney too? Come on do some research yourself and find out. Thats where I found that stuff... just typed intel.com... went to motherboards... etc.. I dont have time to do tech support for free. Unless you want to start paying me $40/hr to find these things out for you.

Look for BIOS revisions history. Usually they tell you what fixes or updates are in each revisions. Look for "Microcode support for Tualatin" or .13 etc.

Is there really any good reason for your crappy attitude? You seem difficult to work with. You blasted me earlier for trying to help the guy out, and I stand on my advice. Try being pleasant, it costs nothing!:rolleyes:

Back