P3 Kill A Watt Electricity Load Meter and Monitor: $19.99 with free shipping

YouGiveMeRash!!!

Limp Gawd
Best $20 I've ever spent :) It's like an addiction plugging things into this meter. Measures the energy consumption of your electronic devices. Not an amazing deal, but pretty warm if you're looking for one. It pays for itself.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...lickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16882715001

Use PROMO code for free shipping: EMCLTMW29

NOTE: The promo code might only work for Newegg e-blast email subscribers though. Not sure.

Last edited:
nice deal... awesome product :D

I only paid $17.99 for mine, but shipping was $5.99... so this deal comes out $4 cheaper.

Good product to save on your power bill, I found a few items that were sucking down the power around my house ;)

Thanks OP, in for one. Curious to see how much power my rig uses!

SHIT it's sold out.

I really wanted one.

Anyone wanna sell one?

Yes, this is a pretty addictive gadget. Some say I have a metering fetish. :eek:

Awesome I was actually just looking at one of these to buy from Amazon.com and I happened to come here to check my PMs and I saw this on the Hot Deals highlighted post. I'm in for one!

They're in stock again and the code still works. I just grabbed one, always wanted one of my own :D.

I just got mine earlier today and it's gonna cost me $5-800. After seeing how much juice my old refrigerator sucks up I've gotta get a new one! My fridge uses 4X's the power of a new one!

I ordered one for our office and got it today, here are a few results:

Typical workstation pc (E8400, 7600GT, 150gb Raptor, 500w PSU):
off = 6
boot = 115
idle/daily use = 82

24" Dell 2407WFP monitor:
pc off/monitor on = 1
on = 59
off by screensaver = 3

Canon office copier (Color ImageRunner C28801):
off = 0
warmup = 130-1200
idle = 109
copying = 700-1400

Gestetner (36" wide Ricoh knockoff):
off = 97 (!)
warmup = 1300
idle = 122
copying = 230-1420

Be aware that Kill-A-Watt meters do not measure correctly with many active PFC PSUs, so don't put too much faith in the numbers you get from them. These are useful to get a general idea of what your power usage is, but they are far from exact.

Be aware that Kill-A-Watt meters do not measure correctly with many active PFC PSUs, so don't put too much faith in the numbers you get from them. These are useful to get a general idea of what your power usage is, but they are far from exact.

Why do they not measure correctly?

And are you trying to say that these things are so far off that they aren't useful gages?

Why do they not measure correctly?
The specific reason hasn't been determined.
And are you trying to say that these things are so far off that they aren't useful gages?
No, I'm saying that they aren't useful for precise measurements. They can be good for giving you a general idea of what your power usage is, but they cannot be relied upon for absolute accuracy, and in some cases their readings are very off and indicate over 100% efficiency (which is obviously impossible).

Thought about picking one up but they always seem to be the same price (when on sale). There aren't many things that concern me since I won't hardly have any old appliances, and plugging this in my computer to find out it draws a lot of power, it won't be enough to sell my computer and buy a netbook or something

bought one at costco for about the same price. i think mine was 23

Call your local Harbor Freight and ask them if they have part # 93519

If they do, it's probably on clearance and less than $10

(it's a Kill-a-watt)

I snagged one of these for work. Always like to see hard numbers.

If you don't have one of these, do yourself and the environment a favor and get one.

You'd be very surprised as to what is sucking electricity behind your back.

That PC that you leave on 24x7... if you put it in standby mode at night you'll save around 30 bucks a month.

But I guess since you live with your parents, you are a selfish bastard and don't care.

Things that generate heat by far consume the most power. Things like a microwave oven, toaster, toaster oven, coffee maker, etc. OTOH, I was surprised how little power my 12" subwoofer was using, even during heavy bassy moments. I think it got to about 125-150 W before my walls were shaking to the point I was fearing picture frames would start falling off. :D

Yeah, I'm surprised at the "phantom power" usage when appliances are off. I took the Kill A Watt home last night and here are a couple more numbers.

Desktop = 105 idle, 200 gaming, 6 off
PVR = 80, 4 off
WHS box (see sig, 11 hard drives) = 165 while balancing, 120 idle, 1 off
27" Sony CRT TV = 100 (Windows desktop), 75 watching TV
Tuner = 40
20" Dell 2005WFP = 46

I haven't checked too many things with mine, but I plan to do that this weekend.

The only things I've checked so far:

A desk lamp with a 40 watt bulb- the P3 shows a draw of 42 watts, pretty accurate. No draw when off.

HP C7280 All in One Printer- suprisingly, the printer draws 7 watts when idle and off, so I'll be leaving it on!

PS3 standby- draws 2 watts. Haven't checked when it's on.

Cell phone chargers- no draw without a phone plugged in, but I found out which chargers give me the most charging power.

just an FYI, this is the old model (probably why it's being sold cheaper)

the newer model is also @ newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715005 it's the 4460 rather than the 4400

I think one of the major changes is a battery backup so you don't have to read it while it's plugged in

I don't think the 4460 is worth it (not to me atleast). The battery backup is nice, and it also calculates kwh for you, but that's about it.

Just use a small extension cord with the 4400, and two of your problems will be solved- one outlet will remain free and you won't have to squirm around to see the reading.

That PC that you leave on 24x7... if you put it in standby mode at night you'll save around 30 bucks a month.

Except being on 24/7 only costs $10-12/month if you don't have horribly inefficient components or 20 hard drives. Mine idles at 118w with 3x1.5TB drives, [email protected]@1.07v, "idle modified bios" HD4870 and the other odds and ends. I think your number is bloated 10x...

The 24" HP "debranded" monitors draw 44w when on. An Acer 22" 1650x1050 draws the same. The Westinghouse 42" draws over 220w while the 46" Sharp peaks at 180w. For whatever reason, my subwoofer in "standby" draws 18w...no idea if that is accurate or not though - huge class d rated that puts out 2500 watts. Besides wishing my receiver had a standby mode (35w idle with volume down), the rest is pretty obvious.

COMCAST'S CABLE BOXES/DVR'S ARE BAD. These things are like 20+w each in "standby". The electricity usage went up 2-3kWh a day once they were installed. Evil things they are, more so that there are only 3 clear QAM HD channels.

Back