P2V Server 2K3

Riccochet

Fully [H]
Have two standalone servers, both running 2k3, that I need to P2V. Run in to all kinds of problems when doing this. Is there a trick I'm not doing? I've done a dozen or so 2k8 R2 servers with no issue, but these 2k3 servers are being a pain in the ass. And, no, we can't upgrade them at this time. :mad:

special hardware attached to them?
On some 2k3 machines I converted, I had to turn off any service I could to free up something that the converter didnt like
What converter are you using?
Starwind, VMWare ?

Well, not errors, per say. The P2V appears to go through correctly use VMware's tool. But the VM fails to boot. Just get the black screen with the blinking cursor in the top left corner.

2 questions

1) are there multiple disks?
2) have you checked the bios to make sure the right vol selected is the bootvol?

Could you also tell me the controller that was selected on the VM (Edit the settings look at the storage controller)

OK it was 3

It would be a good idea to run the virtual disk file through StarWind V2V converter converting it to the same format and enabling the recovery mode option during conversion.
This way the VM applies the hardware change properly.

That trick actually saved my bacon when migrating from old ESXi 5.5 2k8r2 VM to new StarWind HCA with Hyper-V.

Sounds like the MBR got corrupted somehow, boot to recovery console from your 2K3 CD and type fixboot and fixmbr.

Can I ask why you need to keep 2K3 around? Anything I can do to help you move off of it sooner?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Back