P183 Graphics Card clearance

SadTelevision8558

Limp Gawd
I understand that a 10.5" card like a 5870 won't fit with the drive cage in place. What I guess this means is that the card hits the drive cage. But even if a shorter card doesn't hit the drive cage, won't a drive in the drive cage protrude meaning that you need an EVEN shorter card?

How does a 5850 fit? I know it's 1" shorter, but will it allow drives to go into the upper drive cage?

Pictures would be great... maybe with a ruler in place too. I'm wondering if I should bite on the P183 for $109 and 10% BCB on Newegg.

In case no one else chimes in, I have experience with a P182 and an old Evga GTX 260, which from the specs is supposed to be 10.5". It fits fine without bumping into the middle drive cage with maybe an inch or so of room (might not be a full inch but definitely comfortable and gave no worries at all and the middle drive cage slides in and out with 0 problems). It's possible the the drive cage has been redesigned in the 183 but when I last looked at it, it was big enough to enclose the entire hard drive easily. You might have some slight sticking out from cables but there are right angle SATA cables that are vertical to give better clearance that way.

Sorry but no pics available.

As far as the case in general, I'm pretty happy with it overall in terms of noise and cooling but I did have minor issues. The side door is kind of weak and has slightly warped on me. Same with the bottom drive cage, which I had to bend back with pliers. It's possible it's from my floor being uneven or something, though. That middle divider at the bottom near the PSU is a total PITA but it's been fixed in the 183. It's also kind of heavy but that's the price to pay for noise insulation.

Does this look like there's much space for long cards (or any working space) with drives or just cage in place?
http://www.overclockersonline.net/images/articles/antec/p183/large/an37.jpg
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/antec_p183/images/36.htm
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/cases_cooling/antec_p183_advanced_super_mid_tower/5
And GTX295 really isn't that long.

E-ATX depth P193 would be lot better in there:
http://www.overclockersonline.net/images/articles/antec/p193/large/an35.jpg
(side fan just possibly conflicts with big tower heatsink)

so 10.5" is iffy....

is the trend moving towards 10.5" cards? I'm gonna use my 4850 for now (which will fit perfectly fine with 6 drives), but I hope 3 years down the road, the default won't be 10.5" with enthusiast cards stretching to 11 or 12", and instead of 2 ft deep cases, I'll be needing a 2.5' deep or something....

No it wasn't.:confused: It was shorter than the 8800gtx which was ~10.5 inches.

I'm sorry, I meant:
2900XTX.

world of difference there!:eek:

EDIT: the board wasn't nearly that long, but the reference cooler extended 'over the edge' to make it happen.

I'm sorry, I meant:
2900XTX.

world of difference there!:eek:

EDIT: the board wasn't nearly that long, but the reference cooler extended 'over the edge' to make it happen.

Oh, I completely forgot about the XTX version. It is long:eek:

Oh, I completely forgot about the XTX version. It is long:eek:

I only know this because I have a SG02-F, and every other review spams the tagline from the Silverstone product page on how it supports "full 12" graphics cards." and shows the 2900XTX in the case, all snug and stuff:cool:

I was able to fit a 4870X2 (10.5") in a P182SE with one drive in the drive cage and the other tray removed. It really depends on the slot arrangement on the motherboard and which slot you place the video card in. I'd also recommend using straight SATA and power connectors as the card can come awful close to putting some stress on any right-angle cables.

Just to add, is there a particular reason you need those two 3.5" hard drive slots in the middle bay? I mean worse case, you get your 10.5" 5870 or whatever. If it's a little close for comfort, you remove the middle bay and get a 4-in-3, 5-in-3, or 3-in-2 thing for the 5.25" bay to put in your extra hard drives.

Back