• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

P180 and hard drives

Claw5

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Feb 11, 2002
Messages
163
Finally upgrading my rig and have already got most of the components. (waiting for Intel price drops to get CPU and R600 launch to get vid card)
I decided on the P180 from Antec and I am trying to decide on hard drive placement. (I have three drives)
The upper hard drive cage, (in front of which I have installed the optional fan), would seem to cool the drives better, but it only holds two drives.
The lower cage can hold more but is limited to a 'mid-chamber' fan which would draw air over the drives installed there.
To the P180 owners out there- how are your drives installed?
Do you notice the drives running hotter in the lower cage?
Does it really matter which cage I use? (I was thinking system and data drive in the upper cage, and backup drive in the lower cage)
For the record, it seems weird that you can't mount a fan in front of the lower cage.
Sorry for the long winded post, but the Yankees are losing (again), and I've started on my adult beverages.

Thanks.
 
I have all 4 of my drives in the lower cage. I use the upper cage for hiding wires, haven't had any problems with temps, been going strong for close to a year now.
 
Cool.
I noticed in the documentation that they list the lower chamber fan as 38mm, but in mine it appears to be the same 25mm as the other Tri-Cools that came with the case.
Was it that way in yours?
 
The manual must be out of date then since the lower chamber fan was changed from 38mm to 25mm in the later P180B model.
 
I've got both my drives in the lower bay. The temps did not change that much. I also use the upper drive cage to hide wires. It works out real good.
 
I would use the lower bay. If you use the upper bay, the heat from your drives gets blown over the motherboard. If you use the lower bay, the heat from your drives gets blown over your PSU. Which sounds better?
 
I use the lower bay. I had to remove the upper bay to accommodate the 8800GTX. I dunno how big the R600 is supposed to be, but if it is about the same size, you may run into trouble with the upper cage.
 
Makes sense.
I'll use the lower bay for the drives.

Thanks!
 
Back
Top