Overwatch 2 - Official Thread

What's worse is that Overwatch 2 overwrites Overwatch 1, so if you don't like the new meta game and they don't allow classic match rules then tough shit.....you are now the proud owner of the latest F2P trash cash in.

https://www.pcgamer.com/once-overwatch-2-arrives-youll-never-be-able-to-play-overwatch-1-again/

They already "cashed in" when they started selling loot crates in OW1 when you already spent $40 on the game. You couldn't even simply buy skins, you had to gamble with loot crates in a game you already paid $40 for.

OW2 being F2P is actually a little less cash grabby because they aren't double dipping and making you buy the game anymore. But considering it's not really even a new game and they won't let you continue to play the old one it would be pretty bad if they made you pay for it.

No graphics update is pretty brutal. It's not like it was even that good looking ~6 years ago. Although I guess it's not really all that necessary to make cartoony look more cartoony.

I just got the email for the Beta 2 invite. Let's see how this goes I'm excited. Try signing up for the 2nd beta if you haven't already you can get in.

While I can certainly understand that F2P will put some people off, the content delivery model they had for OW1 was ass to the point that they scuttled the IP. Unfortunately, unless you want to play Paladins or something there isn't really another game delivering a similar experience to OW, so if the F2P+battlepass route is what it takes for Blizzard to justify actually delivering content and dedicating resources to the IP then I'm not going to complain. If it's $10 a few times a year to get regular content and a popular game vs $20-$60 up front and a dead game then I'll take the battlepasses. This should have been the model for OW from the get-go, IMO.

I haven't played or even watched any OW2, I actually stopped playing OW a long time ago because it just became an extremely boring shield shooting simulator.

It really pissed me off when they redesigned the way Bastion's gun worked making him specifically to be for shooting down shields, removing headshots and made aiming with him worthless because they couldn't stop hackers abusing him.

Another thing I didn't like was the hero selection limit based on classes. It's just a lazy way to balance the game that puts a big limit on players' creativity. But I already stopped playing by that point anyways.

Having someone that is not a new player review the new player experience, but then explain why they don't like the choices based on their experience and preferences from their time playing OW1 - experience and preferences that new players will not have - makes the whole piece just feel like an angry forum rant. He didn't say a single positive thing.

Millions of people already own Overwatch, and I assume many of them will play the sequel next week and won't have to deal with the effects of this at all, unless they encounter new player teammates with their own restrictions. But there are plenty of people who have never touched the game in the last six years, and there will be more as time goes on.

The full effects of the new player experience won't be felt for a while, not until the list of heroes grows in a few years and the grind becomes immense. Over time, the hero limits could be frustrating and create a whole set of new players that don't understand that hero swaps are an integral, strategic part of the game and a healthy way to find solutions to problems in a match or avoid feeling stuck on a single hero.

Right now, Overwatch 2's new player experience adds friction where it never was before and arbitrarily limits the options for players in the most important hours of playing a new game. If Blizzard wants it to be approachable to a variety of players for a long time, this isn't how you do it.

Early in the article he explained that heroes could all be unlocked through playtime (a single game played will unlock Genji, apparently), then posits that these early hero choice limitations will somehow result in a generation of players that won't understand hero switching, even though he said that players will naturally want to switch heroes but find them greyed out. He wants to heap his dissatisfaction with OW1 onto OW2, which is evident from the end of that "review in progress" article:

Overwatch 2 doesn't feel ready yet. For everyone who still actively plays Overwatch, the sequel has enough new toys to play with and unlock, but the beating heart of the game I devoted thousands of hours of my life to is a series of misguided balance changes and monetization systems away from flatlining. It's in a fragile state that might not solidify into a shooter worth regularly playing for a year or two, if it ever does.

Overwatch 2 is a chance to learn from the last six years and aim as high as the original game did, to widen its bright, team-based battles to welcome even more players looking for the sort of characters other games ignore. But right now, it's hard to see that game underneath all the scaffolding it took to adapt it into a free-to-play shooter that mimics its successful contemporaries and ties it all into a shameless monetization scheme.

So basically, his review is that he wishes people would still like OW1 and just play that - except he forgets to mention that OW1 was so dead that even this shiny new "sequel" from the almighty Blizzard is "a series of misguided balance changes and monetization systems away from flatlining." Overwatch is supposed to be Blizzard's flagship IP and instead it is completely irrelevant; waxing poetic that OW2 isn't similar enough to OW1 - a game nobody wants to play - and calling it a review seems disingenuous at best.

I think a more balanced assessment of the new player experience for OW2 would likely identify that it serves several purposes:
1. The need for a new player experience roadmap - how should a player be guided with regard to initial hero choices? OW1 had nothing like this and it was noted as one of many factors that contributed to OW1's overall dysfunction.
2. The business requirement to drive F2P players to make a purchase (base game, battlepass, whatever it ends up being) and simply unlock things that way.
3. A technical and pragmatic requirement to make generating smurf accounts as onerous as possible (see also: the "SMS Protect" feature that makes attaching a unique phone number to the account a requirement to play).

Now that release is only days away I'm looking forward to seeing how it all shakes out. In the meantime, when I hear opinions like "that's not Overwatch" I'll simply shrug because most people didn't fucking like the product that OW1 turned into anyway.

I just purchased the watchpoint pack and OW2 is not showing up at all in my bnet client. I enabled beta mode and everything. Is there a way to get this to show up?

Seems Freedo felt similarly about that PCGamer article:

I just purchased the watchpoint pack and OW2 is not showing up at all in my bnet client. I enabled beta mode and everything. Is there a way to get this to show up?
No - it'll pop up when OW2 is released - should be saying this under Overwatch "Pre-Release Content Downloaded". Makes sense since OW1 will be killed off immediately.
L8NF99P.png

I refunded the watchpoint pack...they allowed it. I am not going to pay 40$ for nothing. Just play OW2 like everyone else. Do not need overpriced skins.

Queue goes away after a few minutes - mine said 2000 not long ago too.
I got in a game within 10 minutes.

NVM - cheeky bastards.

Logged out to go eat - came back an hour later and queue was around 500, no biggy. As soon as it's my turn it says game server failed.. retrying... Over and over

In queue behind 300, finally get in, must click clink to verify account, click link, must restart game, back in queue behind 300, finally my turn, can't connect to server retrying for about 5 minutes, finally actually get in play a game, I'm literrally the only one on my team to get any kills, play another game same thing.. .wtf? play a third game, teams are actually evenly matched this time.

It's the same thing as OW1 but now you have to unlock everything. No thanks.

Nice to see that Overwatch is still one of two games I own, including my Steam library of around 185 games, that doesn't support ultra-widescreen resolutions. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Hell even Diablo 3 supported them and that came out ages ago.

Their argument that it gives an unfair advantage is rubbish. Look at CSGO.

If you are in the US & having trouble logging in just log in for Europe or Asia works like a charm.

Also Overwatch 2 is sooooooo badass lol I love it.

Nice to see that Overwatch is still one of two games I own, including my Steam library of around 185 games, that doesn't support ultra-widescreen resolutions. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Hell even Diablo 3 supported them and that came out ages ago.

Their argument that it gives an unfair advantage is rubbish. Look at CSGO.
I'm playing in 21:9 on Overwatch 2 with no problems... 0_o

Took a quick test vid

doesn't look zoomed in at all.

Last edited:
Doesn't support 32:9

sad tears.

Also i t hought OW2 was 6v6? Ranked is still 5v5

Doesn't feel any different than OW1 to be honest. Graphics exactly the same, same maps, just a few new heroes and the UI is changed

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess....sad.

The servers going down doesn't really bug me though. Sounds like they're getting ddos'ed which sucks.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/overwatch-2-new-features

Maybe I'm missing something, but all OW2 is, is a patch to OW1. I had to google what was actually different besides the switch to 5v5.

How in the world did it take them this long to do this little....?

Kind of matches the hype for this which barely registers; hardly anyone seems to care. Doesn't surprise me though with how Blizz destroyed the esports communities for every one of their titles (Though I guess it was just OW1 and HotS).

Back