Overcoming Price

Sean

[H] for Life
Ok, so I have been a PC user for 18 years. I have come to the realization I want a switch to Apple. I am an avid photographer, and time and time again my co-photographers have pushed Apple, and all my research says it's better. My issue is price. I am looking at a 3K investment into a 15" Macbook pro. 3K for a notebook computer is almost insurmountable, but I keep getting drawn into it. What made you decide to switch, or how do you cope with the price. It's not like you get a ton of software included, it's just hardware, style and brand. Am I missing something here?

ahh another one of these threads lol.

build quality is amazing, and while PCs are very much equal in their ability to do photo editing, video, etc these days, OS X just seems to do it in a much better way.

a lot less crashes always help too, I got pissed everytime my computer crashed or photoshop quit because of something stupid while I was working. now I'm usually happy :p

also the short of the price of the hardware:
spec out a similar laptop, consider all the little details, including build quality, and you'll notice that most laptops will be similarly priced. screen quality makes a huge difference, and MBPs have top notch screens, where not every PC vendor has a high quality panel, just a large/bright/high contrast one that looks good to the untrained eye. I'm a designer and photographer too, so I know the difference a high quality screen makes.

also, the fact that Anti-Virus has never touched my Mac, and neither have any viruses (and I'm not careful either, I just use common sense. i.e. opening a photo file doesn't need an admin password) helps as well :D

ive seen people in your industry spend 2500 on laptop then another 1000 on software. good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Seriously, as already stated you are getting the BEST operating system and the BEST hardware and build quality.

Seriously, as already stated you are getting the BEST operating system and the BEST hardware and build quality.

same hardware as every other laptop, just older versions or as apple claims "the proven stuff"

the software is included

I buy Dell precisions for the office all the time which are in the 2500-3k range however the hardware in those is twice the macbooks, but if the open source apps wont cut it then you need to purchase the retail versions

same hardware as every other laptop, just older versions or as apple claims "the proven stuff"

the software is included

I buy Dell precisions for the office all the time which are in the 2500-3k range however the hardware in those is twice the macbooks, but if the open source apps wont cut it then you need to purchase the retail versions

*sigh*

Way to compare the Macbook while forgetting about the MacBook Pro.

The point is, do not turn this into the eternal debate while trying to be a troll.

The MacBook Pro is what I was referencing in my above statements, and we must understand that there is always a high end market for those that appreciate incredible design with the best software out there (OS X).

Some prefer Toyotas, some prefer BMW's, some prefer Bentleys.

IF you want the best, buy a Mac. If you want everything else, buy a Windows PC.

I see the value, just never spent 3K on a computer before, but I know I am getting the best, and the 3K does come with applecare for 3 years. I AM going to get one, I guess it's overcoming the price of a computer that will solidify my complete transition to notebook only.

eh i dont think anything is the "best". everything has its strengths and weaknesses. computers are no different. if you can deal with the weaknesses and they are not a deal breaker for you by all means get what you want.

While i'll cede that there is an apple tax, i'm on my third laptop with apple.

The small things add up to me, the back lit keyboard, led back lit screen, elegant yet simple design.

It is a bit of the ole' buying the *premium brand* but if you have the cash and are looking for something nice it's definitely the way to go.

I read the Apple has a 97% market hold on the over $1000 computer market.
Plus they're constantly gaining in market share so they obviously are doing something right.

Cheers!

I'm curious at the 3k figure. What is the notebook spec'd out to? Is that including software?

I see the value, just never spent 3K on a computer before, but I know I am getting the best, and the 3K does come with applecare for 3 years. I AM going to get one, I guess it's overcoming the price of a computer that will solidify my complete transition to notebook only.

Save some $$$ and get AC on eBay. I mean, you don't have to, but you'll save like $150 and it's 100% legit.

Oh, also, not sure what upgrades you're going with, but RAM and HDD upgrades, do those yourself (unless something has drastically changed in the unibody). The RAM upgrade prices are OUTRAGEOUS, while the HDD prices aren't that bad. Still, you can save some $$$ by doing it yourself (and, last I checked, was still user serviceable). I'd double check though, not sure about unibody models.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have to say the quality of Macs are absolute top notch.

Even my old Powerbook still gets the job done and has very high quality results. I've been accustomed to many MacBook and MacBook Pros to know how powerful they can be.

If you are spending $3000+ on one, make sure it is exactly what you want, and make sure it is decked out too. ;)

Not sure this is a concern for you but - as someone mentioned, software for photography, etc can run very expensive. Are you going to have to invest in a whole new suite of software after you transition? If so, your total cost may go above the $3K you are prepared to drop.

my old powerbook was great,
i'm less impressed by the recent run of MBP problems, and quality.

It's like an investment. Good lenses go for 1k+ right? Well good laptops are expensive as well. :p

Also Thinkpad IPS screens are much better than the MBP screen.

I have a MacBook from December of 2006. I also have a Dell Inspiron from July of 2007. My MacBook still retains better battery life til this day, compared to my Dell (and I bought the 9-cell battery at the time). Whatever Apple puts into their computers, is definitely top notch quality.

Both my MacBook and Dell have extremely similar specs: both Core 2 Duo's @ 2GHz, 2GB RAM, etc.

They even cost the same, albeit the Dell has an insane 1680x1050 resolution on a 15.4" panel and an ATI Radeon X1400, but nevertheless, the overall build quality is unquestionable. The Dell feels like a toy and the MacBook does not. The new MacBook Pros are built even better. The extra money you spend will go a long way. I'm already contemplating my next Windows based laptop, but my MacBook is still going strong and it's on it's 3rd year now.

The headaches you won't face while using OS X can be worth it alone, but as everyone else has stated, make sure you factor in the cost of Photoshop, etc. (or whatever you're going to be using) to help you decide. You can definitely get a very similar spec'd Windows based laptop for ~$1500 with the backlit keys, etc. and you'll have that extra $ for the software you need, so explore all your options.

Hope this helps. Ask me anything else you might have in mind.

Better designed hardware and just ease of use. I am a recent convert, but that was mostly due to work and also the fact that for what I use my computer for a Mac is just fine for me. Also getting sweet new top of the line equipment doesn't hurt either.

I was very close getting a MBP about a year ago. After using one I just wasn't amazed with the physical build of it. I recall not caring for the keyboard...it needed more keys--it was too simple. :p Oh, and the price...

I was very close getting a MBP about a year ago. After using one I just wasn't amazed with the physical build of it. I recall not caring for the keyboard...it needed more keys--it was too simple. :p Oh, and the price...

I guess you didn't read some of the other posts before, this is not a thread for bashing. If you don't like it that's fine with us, but the OP line of work steers him more toward the use of a mac. Also nothing against you either Jordan1, just kinda crabby this morning since I had to work over the weekend.

You can save some money by upgrading the HD and RAM on your own, it's incredibly easy if you have two hands and a screwdriver. Otherwise as everyone else mentions, the operating system is superior and it includes great software, great battery life, and overall great design and build quality.

If your not sure you need the portability, consider the 24" iMac. Heavy horsepower and a very high quality screen for color sensitive applications. The 15" MBP also has a good screen, but the 24" iMac is far and above any typical consumer LCD, being an IPS panel.

24" imac with 2.93Ghz Core2 & GT120 graphics = $1800

15" MBP with integrated graphics = $1700, discrete graphics = $2000

not sure where you got the 3k number.... don't fall for the trap of feeling like everything needs to be maxed out when you buy a new computer. Buy the basics, upgrade (for way cheaper) later as needed.

If your a student or know one, you can save a few hundred bucks via the education discount. thats assuming you sell the free ipod touch they give you.

You have a lot of choice, as others have pointed out.

But have you tried using one of your friends' Macs, to make sure the workflow could work for you?

That's the biggest hurdle a lot of switchers have, especially when they are switching for professional reasons.

For example, I switched because I record music - coming from Cakewalk Pro to (then eMagic) Logic was a HUGE change, because not only did the OS act differently, my entire workflow changed.

Totally buy refurb. Just like new with the same warranty so there is no real reason why you should not other than availability.

Totally buy refurb. Just like new with the same warranty so there is no real reason why you should not other than availability.

This too. If the one you want is available in the refurb store grab it. Every Apple refurb I've ever seen looks brand new..unlike say Dell refurbs.

As others said, it's not price to overcome it's a jump in quality, which you pay for. It was no big deal for me because I was used to buying T-series Thinkpads which cost the same.

The iPod or two that I had looked new and they were refurbs. Definitely a good way to save some.

A friend of mine bought a unibody MacBook a few months ago refurbished, and it was flawless.

Two reasons I wouldn't change would be the low resolution glossy screen and the added cost of buying new software.

Also tack on some questionable build quality issues (caved in power button anyone?)

While my lenovo is a bit thicker, when I sold my 2 year old MBP last year and got a T400 I got a better screen, a power button that isn't slanted into the case, 3x the battery life, and better specs.

Last edited:
Two reasons I wouldn't change would be the low resolution glossy screen and the added cost of buying new software.

Also tack on some questionable build quality issues (caved in power button anyone?)

While my lenovo is a bit thicker, when I sold my 2 year old MBP last year and got a T400 I got a better screen, a power button that isn't slanted into the case, 3x the battery life, and better specs.

It's too bad Windows isn't that great. Tried 7, still didn't like it. :(

As much as I like Apple's laptops, my MBP was a terrible investment. There's no such thing as a high end laptop.

For several hundred dollars you get: slightly faster processor (which won't make a noticeable difference), faster graphics (which still isn't good), bigger hdd (yank yank), bigger screen (ok... if you even want it).
If I was in the market for a full sized laptop I would jump on the 13" MBP. There's no point in spending 2k + on a laptop that will be ate alive by a $500 desktop though.

While I'd rather use OS X, an OS is an OS. I can't afford a MP, so I'll have to make due with an i7.;)

Why is it $3K?

A new 15 inch Macbook Pro, 2.66 ghZ Core 2 duo w/ 4GB memory, GeForce 9600M GT and a 320GB HD is only $1,999.

What are you doing to add an extra 50% to the price?

What made you decide to switch, or how do you cope with the price. It's not like you get a ton of software included, it's just hardware, style and brand. Am I missing something here?

You're missing the fact that Apple sells upscale computers, much like how BMW sells upscale cars. You're paying more for what you can do with the hardware through software than the hardware itself, such as the ability to legally and permissibly run all three major operating systems (OS X, Windows, Linux) on one device. You can't do this with other computers. Yes, there's the Hackintosh stuff, but let's be reasonable (and legal) here. You're also paying for a lower TCO, Unix-style security, virus immunity (for now, at least), and the generally higher-level quality of the preinstalled software compared to what you get with Windows Vista. If you only look at computers as the aggregate output of a certain CPU, a certain amount of RAM, and a particular GPU, then Apple products probably aren't worth it to you. But if you realize that one buys hardware to run software, not simply to have the hardware, then you can probably appreciate Apple's products a little more.

Go to an Apple Store and play around with the floor products. See how you like the OS. Demo units usually have Photoshop preinstalled, so you can play around with that as well.

By the way, how exactly did you get a 15'' MacBook Pro into the $3000 range? The 15'' MBP starts at $1699 on store.apple.com and tops out at $2299. Even the 17'' MBP doesn't come close to $3000.

Everyone is still waiting to hear where this 3k figure is coming from...

Or is it like the age old "I can't afford an HDTV! They're like $5,000!"

I think one thing people often tend to forget to realize and/or mention is that most people that buy a Mac, whether it's an iMac, MacBook, or MacBook Pro... these computers will generally be actively used for a longer course of time versus a PC/Windows-based counterpart. Perhaps it's the fact that OS X is far more stable and efficient - and Apple constantly updates it with enhancements and whatever is needed (not to say Microsoft doesn't), but the same hardware is destined to work correctly with the software.

OS X is designed to run on Apple hardware - that's it (Hackintosh aside).

Windows is designed to run on everything and that leads to a plethora of additional problems and stability issues.

Very few people would ever be able to overcome the price tag of 3k for a 15" MPB. What most people want in their laptop purchase is good value.

Price is how much something costs.
Value is when the cost is justified by the product.

3k is just not a good value for what is offered in a 15"MBP. That being said, 3k is not the price of a 15"MBP. It is 2k for the new one (2.66) and 1700 for the refurbed (same model). The 2.8 is not worth the extra money, and the performance is negligible. I, personally, would want the dedicated graphics card if I was stepping up to that model.

Ok, so 2k for a laptop, that still ain't cheap. What do you get for that money?

1. OS designed for hardware. This means that things just work, well. This is almost hard to fully understand until you just use the thing. But it is a very big reason why most people enjoy their mac.

2. Little stuff done right. Every little detail is pretty much done right. Nothing is skimped on. The build quality is amazing. The aluminum is the best. Solid, quiet, light, stiff, you name it. The keyboard is phenomenal. Every nook and cranny has been done right. It sounds stupid and corny, but pick up a macbook, and it just feels better. It doesn't moan and creek from the plastic, it doesn't bend if you hold it from the side, it's just perfect.

3. Trackpad. I would pay big, BIG, money just for the trackpad on these things. The surface is untouchable by any other manufacturer. The multi touch is godly. The size, wunderbar.

4. Battery life, illuminated keyboard, screen quality, included software, customer service, size, weight, style, performance, etc. All good reasons.

13".. full size? I thought 13 was like the smallest ones they make.

As in not a netbook. 13" isn't that small, it's still 12x8.

For me it's not even so much the "Apple Tax" that's the problem. Obviously, if I bought a MBP.:p I'm willing to pay a small premium.
I'm just saying that if you're buying any high end laptop, you better make sure they throw in a bottle of vaseline.

Don't even get me started on the iMac. If I wanted laptop components, I would get a laptop.:eek:

On a side note, how is the illuminated keyboard a "pro" feature. Shouldn't pro's know where the keys are at?

I had a unibody MB, but in the end, I couldn't justify the price, sold it, bought a Dell Mini 10v, and put OSX on it. I don't even use it really. All that talk about a superior OS is just that...talk. Half of the devices I plugged into it only had Windows drivers, so I ended up using Windows all the time anyway. Don't get me wrong, it looks pretty, but was pretty useless for me most of the time.

This was my experience. If I had an unlimited supply of money, I'd buy a MBP and use it regularly, but I couldn't justify the cost FOR WHAT I NEEDED IT FOR.

I had a unibody MB, but in the end, I couldn't justify the price, sold it, bought a Dell Mini 10v, and put OSX on it.

If you couldn't justify the price, why did you pay for it in the first place? It sounds to me as if you experienced buyer's remorse and went with the Internet mentality that it's better to pirate something and pay nothing than it is to be honest.

And if you don't even (want to) use OS X, why did you obtain not just one, but two machines for purposes of running it? Makes no sense to me.

Back