• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclocking Q6600 - cooling

Slayed0

n00b
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
10
in about a month i plan to purchase a Q6600 and want to overclock it to around 3.2ghz. soooo i'm looking at cooling systems and was wondering if water cooling is worth it. I figure if i were to buy a water cooling system i could probably oc even higher and maybe cool my gpu's. is it worth it or should i just get a high power fan/heatsink combo?
 
The current tower style heatpipe heatsinks do a great job at cooling current CPUs,
if you are just planning on hitting around 3.2ghz I would stick with one of the heatsinks that are recommended daily in threads on here.

Even if you get a good cpu and can hit 3.6ghz a high end air cooler is still more than capable, but at the voltages needed to hit 3.6ghz (usually 1.4-1.5v) that is when watercooling starts to come into it's elements if you are running at 100% cpu load for extended amounts of time. Like if you run folding at home or do a lot of video encoding/rendering.

I have no experience with watercooling other than what I have read in forums and other sources of information but I can tell you with my Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and an Antec Tri-cool 120mm fan I run full load with my 3.6ghz Q6600 at 55-65C depending on ambient temperatures.

At this point in time with my current hardware I would rather build a GPU loop for my BFG 8800gt and just leave the cpu on air.
 
yeah i oc-ed to 3.2ghz with q6600 VID 1.2125 and i can oc with a tuniq tower and only cranked vcore to 1.2875
 
I use a Zalman Cu-7700. I have a new Q6600 GO SLACR system and it appears the Zalman is not much better than stock cooling! I'm getting baseline temps of 37-39 degrees with 1400rpm no load dependant of ambient temps (usally have my air conditiong at around 26 degrees).

I tried Prime 95 test and the temp climbed to 70 - 75 degrees. Isn't that crazy hot for stock speed? thats with the Zalman at full rpm and making rattling noises.

For comparison what temps base and load are you getting on your 6600's before overclocking on stock cooling?
 
I actually have not ran my q6600 with stock cooling.

I am actually at 3.06ghz right now with stock vcore and I am idling at 33/30/33/30 in a 24C room.
 
ive got my q6600 under a TRUE 120 with a push/pull config with 2x yate loon low speed fans.

here's a pic of the temps and such @ 3.0ghz.

5hrsstable.jpg
 
Not worth it unless you're aiming for a much higher OC or just want the experience of having done water cooling... With the proper video cards along with a Q6600 at 3.2 you can have a relatively quiet build using standard air cooling. Going water doesn't usually eliminate all fans, just replaces several smaller fans for one or two larger radiator fans and you still need some case cooling for the sake of the motherboard components (and hard drives to an extent).

I use a Zalman Cu-7700. I have a new Q6600 GO SLACR system and it appears the Zalman is not much better than stock cooling!

Sure ain't, might even be worse. That's a pretty old cooler AFAIK, hope you didn't get it recently or didn't pay too much for it if you did (Zalman coolers are almost always overpriced from what I've seen).
 
Not worth it unless you're aiming for a much higher OC or just want the experience of having done water cooling... With the proper video cards along with a Q6600 at 3.2 you can have a relatively quiet build using standard air cooling. Going water doesn't usually eliminate all fans, just replaces several smaller fans for one or two larger radiator fans and you still need some case cooling for the sake of the motherboard components (and hard drives to an extent).



Sure ain't, might even be worse. That's a pretty old cooler AFAIK, hope you didn't get it recently or didn't pay too much for it if you did (Zalman coolers are almost always overpriced from what I've seen).

wow, i have one of those old zalman 7700cu coolers cooling my old athlon 64 x2 rig that im giving to my brother, that thing keeps my 64 x2 nice and cool, but idk about a quad core intel processor.
 
Looks like I'm out buying a new cooler then. Thats the last time I listen to advice from a store, next time I'll read the forum before I buy!

I'll have to take the whole board out to get the massive chunk'o'copper off!
 
Go with the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 w/retention bracket.
Using it on my current rig (see specs)

10122008115515wb5.jpg


Temps idle: 27,28,27,24

Temps under load (running Prime):46,45,45,45

Defiantly best bang for the buck. :)
 
Back
Top