"Overclocking Failed" - But not trying to

htpc_user

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an Asus A8S-X motherboard; it's a socket 939. I have an Opteron 148 cpu. My 6 year old used to use it and never had any problem with it. I upgraded him to a dual core Intel. So I took the older system and use it to play movies with my projector. But every time I turn the PC on, I get nothing on the screen, so I hit the restart button on the case. Then it boots normally, but at the beginning I get a message that says, "Overclocking has failed; defaults have been reset." But I'm not trying to overclock! I've never tried, and never changed any BIOS settings since my son stopped using it. I've looked, but don't see anything in the BIOS that would make it try to overclock. Anyone got any suggestions? It's just annoying to basically have to turn it on twice every time.

Clear CMOS, either by jumper/pulling battery/or pressing a cmos clear button. Check your mobo manual for details.

I never mess with over clocking, it scares the living bits out of me !_!

most likely the cmos battery died and thats just the default message when the bios have been reset..

but if need be try what ensu3 said.. just unplug the PSU from the wall.. then pull out the cmos battery on the motherboard.. wait about 30-45 seconds.. put the battery back in and plug the psu back in.. that will reset the bios.. who knows maybe your kid accidently changed a setting or something.. but im still going with my first assumption that the battery died which really isnt that important.. you could even take the battery out and the system would still run..

Back