Overclocking a 6600GT

daragon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
224
OK, I just threw a water block on everything that makes heat in my comp, and now I'm ready to overclock this mo. I saw on the review of the 6600GT a tool that allowed you to overclock your video card from in windows. I think I found this tool on NVidia's site, called nTune, but I ran into a problem. I'm running a VIA chipset, and it doesn't want to install because of that.
Anyone know of a way to make this tool work, or another tool to allow me to do this? Or am I going to have to do it all through the BIOS like normal?
 
you could just use nvidias coolbits, which is integrated in the unified driver.
you just have to enable it.

start regedit

go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak

and add a dword - value

name it coolbits

than give it the value: 3

now you should see a clock frequency tab in you display properties

good luck with your overclock
 
nTune is for the Nforce motherboard overclocking I think.

Coolbits worked well for me with my 6600GT's (550core/1.1ghz mem). But it only works with certain drivers for me. The 71.84 WHQL's don't overclock for me. I use the 75.90a XTremeG's and they OC fine.
 
71 84 works well for me.
my xfx 6600gt agp does 603 core 1200 mem speed due to detect max freq, in coolbits
it has a zahlman fv700 cu al attached, runs 43C idle, ~55 load.

in my second rig i'm runnin a plain 6600 from point of view with the same cooler.
coolbits has detected a max oc of 330 core 612 mem. actualy it does 480 core and 637 mem with no artifacts. increased perfomance a lot. in aquamark 3 it scores near the gt so i think the cpu is the bottleneck in my main rig.
sad thing is that the plain 6600 does not show the temps :(
 
awww, I could only get it up to 560/1.04 auto OC wanted to leave it at 520, pfft.
 
daragon said:
awww, I could only get it up to 560/1.04 auto OC wanted to leave it at 520, pfft.

If you back down the core overclock a bit you might get more out of the memory.
 
OC'D my xfx 6600gt (580/1.20) today and got good results in 3dmark05.....


my.php




Not bad for a first timer ey? :D This is stock cooling.
 
If only you were running that on a AMD64, you'd be over 4k ;).
 
I am going for 4000 as soon as I get my "accessories" in from various vendors. Core temp. tops out in the mid 70's now and I don't want to push it, but if I can knock 5-10 degrees off 4K should be in my rear view mirror when I play NFSU2. :cool:
 
can i be part of the 400 club?? at 570/1.17 im getting 4022. i plan to overclock much more, to probably around 600/1.2 and bench. im hoping to become part of the 4200 club :D
 
After re-working it, I got it up to 550/1.05. I'm going to leave it their, since I don't notice any improvement.
 
thx for the link, will try it asap when i find my old floppy drive and hook it up to the comp. :D
 
heh, I didn’t have a floppy drive in this computer until I had to do this as well :p
 
BigBalla said:
OC'D my xfx 6600gt (580/1.20) today and got good results in 3dmark05.....


my.php




Not bad for a first timer ey? :D This is stock cooling.

Sorry to get off topic but that's a really nice fractal wallpaper, do you know where I could get something like that?
 
Do your OC's work after gaming for a while? I had mine (in SLI) up to 550/1.1 but I would get artifacting in games (FarCry) when I played for a half hour and the cards heated up. It would run a single run of 3dMark05 with no problems (6500 or so with SLI).
 
Some of your overclocking scores are pretty high :confused: ..... Just 2 questions for you guys - I persume it's not stock cooling your using, so what cooling do you guys have to be able to overclock that much? and what are your temps when playing games like doom3 and so on?
 
im using the stasis thermal IceStorm. its super awesome, and after playing games for like a decent 3 hours, my core temps reached a staggering 57ºC as reported by Rivatuner. the stasis thermal icestorm is worth the cash. and it cools everything, the core and the memory.
 
Back
Top