• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclocked Temps?

Alai

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 19, 2008
Messages
2,701
So I just decided to do a tiny overclocking test run. I used Easy Tune 5 Pro (Gigabyte Mobo Utility) to bump my FSB up to 300 for a total speed of 3.0 GHz (0.33 GHz above stock). The voltages are set to auto and they settled at 1.232 (0.1V above stock) during the prime95 testing. On idle, my temps are in the area of 30 to 40. On load, my temperatures slowly crept up to 65 and lower and then stabilized around 63 for my hottest cores.

(Used CPU-Z and HWMonitor to read temps.)

Is this too hot? I read in the overclocking guide that 71 is the upper limits of a Q6700 (due to being G0 stepping). However, I would much prefer if it wasn't edging so close to the temp limits.

I was wondering if these are normal for a minimally overclocked CPU. If they aren't normal, might it be that I didn't stick my Xigmatek S1283 onto my CPU properly?
 
if you are running the small fft test on prime, those numbers seem okay. they are not great, but not bad either. mine is oc'ed much higher with a lot more volts and the same cooler. on small fft, mine will creep to the 70C edge after a full 24hr run.
 
Ok well I just followed the instructions from the Gigabyte Overclocking guide in the Mobo forums and then set my FSB to 320. I then did a 5 hour prime95 (it passed). When I woke up, my core temps were hitting 73 in a 28-ish room. The torture test I am using is the Blend Test. Should I be using the Small FFT test?

CPU Speed (Default 2.66) 3.2
CPU Voltage (BIOS) 1.375
CPU Voltage avg 1.33
CPU Voltage max 1.36
CPU Voltage min 1.328
CPU Multi (Default 10x)
FSB (Default 266) 320
DDR2 OverVoltage 0.2
PCI-E OverVoltage 0.1
FSB OverVoltage 0.1
MCH OverVoltage 0.1
Core 0,1 temp IDLE (Max) 48
Core 2,3 temp IDLE (Max) 45
Core 0,1 temp LOAD (Max) 74
core 2,3 temp LOAD (Max) 65
 
what is your ambient room temp? that's a bit warm for blend. small fft will put more of a burden on just the cpu, and therefore raise temps.
 
73 is a bit warm IMO. maybe you could try to lower voltage slightly to see if its still stable, or invest in a better cooling solution
 
My room temperature, without the computer running, should be around 24-26.

I ran Small FFT for a couple hours and got 70 as my max.

Also, I do plan to lower voltages, but I believe that requires further fine tuning. For now, I just want to find a stable FSB and Voltage setting before I fine tune to get lower temps/volts. I was just wondering if getting high temps like this was normal, while trying to get a stable clock.
 
Depends on what heatsink you are using and if EIST and C1E are disabled. However 70C on a quad with all four cores fully loaded would not alarm me. There is no way you can damage the cpu with heat and it is somewhere around 100C before the cpu will even regard itself as hot. Use realtemp or coretemp and in the options set "show deta to Tjmax", as long at that number is greater than 15 and the higher the better, you are just fine. It sounds like you are fairly stable so when you are happy reduce Vcore to the next lowest available setting and retest.

You will want to use a memory mulitplier other than the 2.0. 320x 2.4 = 768 which is still underclockng your ram some. After you get the cpu all sorted out you can see what your ram will do for an overclock (if you can use a memory mulitplier higher than 2.4 and OC your ram some but still remain stable) but first get the cpu all nailed down. Take notes.
 
Oh ok thanks. Whew I was worried there for a second because I was actually hitting 78 when i raised my CPU Voltage to 1.475 (BIOS), 1.46 (Actual), and my FSB to 340. However, it was sitting stable so I am happy. But it seems like I am hitting the upper limits of my CPU. My real goal was to get to 400 FSB. Do you think that's getting to be impossible with temps like 78 and CPU Voltages at 1.475 already?
 
Back
Top