[Sat Jun 05 13:41:14 2004]
Self-test 1024K passed!
[Sat Jun 05 13:59:14 2004]
Self-test 8K passed!
[Sat Jun 05 14:17:15 2004]
Self-test 10K passed!
[Sun Jun 13 04:07:27 2004]
ERROR: ILLEGAL SUMOUT
Possible hardware failure, consult readme.txt file, restarting test.
ERROR: ILLEGAL SUMOUT
Possible hardware failure, consult readme.txt file, restarting test.

so what do i do now it runs fine on games and stuff but isn't this bad i'm assuming so.

if its running fine with everything else, than don't worry about it. some people in hear swear that if your overclock doesnt pass prime95, than its not a good overclock.

i see it as...if it works, it works

what speed are you trying to get at anyways?

my XP-M 2500+ is set to 12.5 X 200 @ 2.51 41c idol and about 47 load on AIR !!!

It runs flawless in FarCry, Prince of Perisa, Counter-Strike, AOE2, Man Hunt, Call of Duty, MOHAA, NFSU and the list can continue, however, it won't pass prime95 for more then 2 minutes. Do I care? Hell no. Why? I can't tell.

If it runs fine, be happy! :p

Not all apps will crash on memory errors, and prime95 isn't good to check system stability(in my opinion). Sometime when i overclock, it pass prime95 rock stable, but cant pass extreme tests.

Some people from another board were doing this test, and trust me if it pass, your system can't be more stable.

here is the recipe.
UT2004 with average setting in window mode
Norton Anti-virus doing whole drive scan
load a big movie in MS Media Player
with borland c compiling ramdom stuff in the background
:eek:

Most highest prime95 stable overclocks i had didn't passed this. While my [email protected] passed it right away... wonder how far i can get this chip on an IS7.

Also, i had a hard time getting my 2.4C stable last month, and i ended up forgetting about all those tests since it was stable in games and everything, it happened once in farcry... so i can live with it. I guess it all depend on what you do.

i just wanted to test it to see if it was actually stable. i'm not to worried about it now since u told me i shouldn't be worried. it does do watever i want in UT2004 and other games though so i guess its good enough.

I'm not a tremendous believer in Prime. I've had this chip pass hours of Prime at 3.2 ghz 1:1, and it wouldn't play 15 mins of Quake 3 without a CTD. Now 3.15 1:1 is both prime and game stable, so I use that as my day-to-day clock speed. While I can run 3.25 5:4 prime and game stable, the 3.15 1:1 generally gives better performance.

I'm beginning also to have doubts about Prime, but will still be one of my stability tests for now. A little amusement, this thread at thelab.gr, a user would have his comp crash within 10-20 seconds of starting prime. Running it again, it would go 8 hours with no problem. :rolleyes: Go figure.

Qwertyman, have you given super pi a spin at all? I find that to be effective also with system instability. Much more demanding on the cpu when I run it compared to prime. With prime95, I could still browse the web and stuff. Super pi eats up my cpu cycles much more effectively I guess then prime.

-Kako

If it could run Prime95 stock, and gives you errors overclocked, then it's not completely stable. If you choose to ignore that, then so be it.

meh. i'm overclocked and futuremark programs don't want to run at all. but everything else works fine so i just don't use futuremark programs. :)

so far I've probably said this about 547 times so here goes # 548:

does your system run fine?

does your system run your everyday games and applications fine?

if you answered yes to both questions above, I say screw P95 and just enjoy your machine.

i have run prime left and right..overclocked and stock...i think prime is useless...i have a XP2500M running at 2647 runs everything from EVE to UO to UT2K4 flawlessly
i run prime fails after 20 min
and this is every time i have done a oc on any board, ram, and chip so screw prime

embro said:
Not all apps will crash on memory errors, and prime95 isn't good to check system stability(in my opinion). Sometime when i overclock, it pass prime95 rock stable, but cant pass extreme tests.

Some people from another board were doing this test, and trust me if it pass, your system can't be more stable.

here is the recipe.
UT2004 with average setting in window mode
Norton Anti-virus doing whole drive scan
load a big movie in MS Media Player
with borland c compiling ramdom stuff in the background
:eek:

Most highest prime95 stable overclocks i had didn't passed this. While my [email protected] passed it right away... wonder how far i can get this chip on an IS7.

Also, i had a hard time getting my 2.4C stable last month, and i ended up forgetting about all those tests since it was stable in games and everything, it happened once in farcry... so i can live with it. I guess it all depend on what you do.
Are you shitting me? That is like using Godzilla to test building structure stability.

The simple truth is, prime will run indefinitely at default, giving you 0 errors.
If you are only a half-assed overclocker, then continue to use your unstable system for x amount of months before your critical filesystem is corrupt. gg.

Seems like northbridge/ram.

Try fixing FFT size to 32K and see what happens - if it still fails then you either have too much heat or too little voltage or simply too much overclock.

(See the helpfile for setting the FFT size - you have to edit prime.ini)

iZero said:
If it could run Prime95 stock, and gives you errors overclocked, then it's not completely stable. If you choose to ignore that, then so be it.

agreed, if its not stable in prime95, than its not a stable cpu. prime95 works with memory and cpu, eventually if you play a game long enough it will crash also.

well obviously i'm dumb i guess but where do i set the FFT size? in here
StressTester=1
UsePrimenet=0
MinTortureFFT=8
MaxTortureFFT=4096<----here right?
TortureMem=31
TortureTime=15
Left=78
Top=7
Right=678
Bottom=439

also my normal temps are about 46/33C. if that helps any.
PhyberOptik said:

Try fixing FFT size to 32K and see what happens - if it still fails then you either have too much heat or too little voltage or simply too much overclock.

hi tech hate said:
if its running fine with everything else, than don't worry about it. some people in hear swear that if your overclock doesnt pass prime95, than its not a good overclock.

i see it as...if it works, it works

what speed are you trying to get at anyways?

if it doesnt pass prime95, its NOT working. the computer does not do what its supposed to; math.

PhyberOptik said:

or you could just change it when you select which torture test to run. much easier.

MaMMa said:
my XP-M 2500+ is set to 12.5 X 200 @ 2.51 41c idol and about 47 load on AIR !!!

It runs flawless in FarCry, Prince of Perisa, Counter-Strike, AOE2, Man Hunt, Call of Duty, MOHAA, NFSU and the list can continue, however, it won't pass prime95 for more then 2 minutes. Do I care? Hell no. Why? I can't tell.

If it runs fine, be happy! :p

this is a poor answer, if it cant run prime95 then its not stable. you should be able to run prime95 for 24 hours with no errors/warning. ive seen systems crash after 13 or so hours of prime. if its not a stable overclock, it will usually crash within an hour or so. if its running 20 hours then crashing it may only be a matter of upping your voltage to give it that extra stability.

acascianelli said:
this is a poor answer, if it cant run prime95 then its not stable. you should be able to run prime95 for 24 hours with no errors/warning. ive seen systems crash after 13 or so hours of prime. if its not a stable overclock, it will usually crash within an hour or so. if its running 20 hours then crashing it may only be a matter of upping your voltage to give it that extra stability.

By running 24 hrs of prime, that means the CPU is being loaded at 100% for 24 hrs. If it crashes 20 hrs into prime, I'd say don't worry about it, because you would seldom if ever be stressing the CPU that much under normal usage.

yes but eventually your cpu will produce an error and maybe its going to come out as something as little as an mp3 screwing up while playing back, but maybe itll happen when your writing a file to the hard drive, or playing a game causing a crash, or if you dare try to flash the bios while overclocked it could happen during a bios flash.

imo, all processors are at some point unstable. i think if you run prime95 on any processor it will eventually fail, either at 20 hours or 20 months.

kronchev said:
if it doesnt pass prime95, its NOT working. the computer does not do what its supposed to; math.
Amen to that. I do it with my clients machines, not only to torture it, but I see how the temperatures are reading out with the various components that I put in their boxes.

MemoryInAGarden said:
By running 24 hrs of prime, that means the CPU is being loaded at 100% for 24 hrs. If it crashes 20 hrs into prime, I'd say don't worry about it, because you would seldom if ever be stressing the CPU that much under normal usage.

are you listening to us? YOUR COMPUTER DOES NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY IF IT WILL NOT PASS PRIME95. YOU WILL HAVE A FAULTY AND BROKEN COMPUTER.

kronchev said:
are you listening to us? YOUR COMPUTER DOES NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY IF IT WILL NOT PASS PRIME95. YOU WILL HAVE A FAULTY AND BROKEN COMPUTER.

Prime does compute math. But so does every other program. Prime is not the second coming.

Saying "YOU WILL HAVE A FAULTY AND BROKEN COMPUTER" doesnt really make much sense. Of course his CPU wont last forever. And why should it? Its not meant to. Like they say about 3d mark "you cant play prime95"

The entire reason im sure hes overclocking is to play games, if it plays games then it functions fine. Maybe itll die a year or 3 years early, or maybe not at all. Thats going to depend on many things.

ahh it's ok, he is only upset as his XP mobile wouldn't OC for jack.

But on another note what would you prefer. 24 hours of prime or 24 hours of Farcry? I guess the reason I like using games to get an idea on stability, is that it will tell you farily quickly if your rig is stable.

well here's the stress test quote from the prime folder:
Q) A forum member said "Don't bother with prime95, it always pukes on me,
and my system is stable!. What do you make of that?"
or
"We had a server at work that ran for 2 MONTHS straight, without a reboot
I installed Prime95 on it and ran it - a couple minutes later I get an error.
You are going to tell me that the server wasn't stable?"

A) These users obviously do not subscribe to the 100% rock solid
school of thought. THEIR MACHINES DO HAVE HARDWARE PROBLEMS.
But since they are not presently running any programs that reveal
the hardware problem, the machines are quite stable. As long as
these machines never run a program that uncovers the hardware problem,
then the machines will continue to be stable.
just thought that was funny

anyway here's my new prime test, and yet again it failed what do i do? lower it back down, keep it the way it is, i have no idea that's why i'm asking. This is on a 32k test.
[Mon Jun 14 08:25:56 2004]
Self-test 8K passed!
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4999694824, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

kronchev said:

Broken? Even though the machine may not be 100% stable in all circumstances, "broken" sounds like it will be inoperable. A little instability here and there doesn't hurt that badly :rolleyes:

kronchev said:

rofl are you kidding me?

Qwertyman said:
anyway here's my new prime test, and yet again it failed what do i do? lower it back down, keep it the way it is, i have no idea that's why i'm asking. This is on a 32k test.
[Mon Jun 14 08:25:56 2004]
Self-test 8K passed!
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4999694824, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

That's a definite sign of a CPU that does not have enough voltage or is too hot, or simply cannot sustain internal electron transport at those speeds. Have you tried increasing the voltage to 1.85V,or is 1.775V your max?

If upping the voltage does not work, you simply have to lower the OC a bit. Your should try and find the max speed your CPU is stable at, and, then, using a lower multiplier, find the max speed your FSB is stable at.Then, using those two parameters, work out the best combination to use so you have the max CPU and FSB speed with neither being over the limit. You should, however, always focus on getting the highest frequency out of your FSB.

MemoryInAGarden said:
....A little instability here and there doesn't hurt that badly :rolleyes:

people like you crash space shuttles....remind me never to let you touch my system.

acascianelli said:
people like you crash space shuttles....remind me never to let you touch my system.

HAHA thank you

i laugh at you people who wonder why you have to reinstall XP every few months due to corruption.

acascianelli said:

Computers being compared to a space shuttle is like comparing your only child to your car. Of course if it were a space shuttle/child then you'd want ZERO errors.

Prime95 last me 2 mins but I can game FarCry and many other high end games for hours on end. I also do a lot of photoshop and set my ram usage to photoshop @ 75%. Never crapped on me. Prime is a waste of time. Hey that rhymes, lol :D

MaMMa said:
Computers being compared to a space shuttle is like comparing your only child to your car. Of course if it were a space shuttle/child then you'd want ZERO errors.

Prime95 last me 2 mins but I can game FarCry and many other high end games for hours on end. I also do a lot of photoshop and set my ram usage to photoshop @ 75%. Never crapped on me. Prime is a waste of time. Hey that rhymes, lol :D

prime95 finds and tests prime numbers, if your computer calculated a prime number and that number isnt prime, then your computer fucked up, i.e. its unstable.

I understand that, I've had my pc for about 3 months now and I game a lot. Hasn't crashed once. I'm not going to run prime for 24 hours and waste time that I don't have trying to get it to run solid when it basically already is. If you got to use my PC and prime95 is not an option, I can gaurentee that you couldnt make it crash if you tried.

MaMMa said:

so please tell me why you are ok with your computer not running 100%? no time? too lazy? really I want to know why you wont back down your overclock a few megahertz for guaranteed stability instead of just saying "good enough"

if it fails prime after a matter of minutes its probobly more than a matter of few mhz, probobly a few hundred. but still, if you computer could run for say 12, 14, 16 hours of prime before a failure that would be better, but a matter of minutes?

acascianelli said:
if it fails prime after a matter of minutes its probobly more than a matter of few mhz, probobly a few hundred. but still, if you computer could run for say 12, 14, 16 hours of prime before a failure that would be better, but a matter of minutes?

yeh, if its that quick, you really screwed up something.

honestly you guys, if you cant bother to do it right, please dont overclock. its that "good enough" attitude that make people think AMDs are unstable and make overclocking look like a stupid hobby

Back