Out of the loop for a while...

FlipperBizkut

[H]ard|Gawd
I could use some advice. My old C2D machine has plagued me with problems since I built it a few years ago. I'm tired of messing with it and am looking to replace some key components. I am looking for something stable more than anything. I have a tight budget, and the tighter it can be, the better. To answer the questions...

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Coding, Web Development, Some Photoshop, Some Video Encoding, Some Gaming from time to time.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Open, but basically as cheap as possible. 300-400 would be ideal with less than that even better.
3) Where do you live?
MS, USA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Motherboard, CPU, Ram
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Will be reusing my WD HDDs, GeForce GTS 450 Fermi, Case, Optical Drives, HIDs. My current PS is the OCZ PowerStream 520 (so not sure that will suffice any longer or not).
6) Will you be overclocking?
Stability is priority 1, but ocing would be nice especially in the future
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
2x22" WS 3360x1050
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Soon, but doesn't have to be now (or even real soon). Perhaps in the next month or so would be nice.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
Planning on getting an external HDD for backup with USB3, so that would be nice (and compatible with that external would be key). No need for raid right now, nor will I be running dual discrete video. Sata 6Gb/s might be nice to have in case I jump for a SSD in the future.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes. Full version of Win7Pro 64 ready to go.

I was looking at some Z68 mobos (specifically this one), but a review said that the USB3 was not compatible with the USB3 on their external HDD. I'm not even sure I need the Z68 series. I was really looking to go for the i5 CPU, but might skimp for the i3 for the savings.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

For an immediate option:

$257 - Intel Core i5 2300 and Biostar TH67+ combo
$55 - G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1333
$59 - Antec HCG-520 520 watt power supply
=====
$371 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

You get a quad-core processor, 8GB of RAM, and a motherboard with USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s support for under $400 (plus some additional savings via a combo deal and a promo code or two). Since you're going with a new system, I recommend a new power supply, especially since OCZ isn't the best PSU brand around.

However, you're limited in your overclocking options as the cheaper OC-friendly options cost considerably more:

$320 - Intel Core i5-2500K and MSI P67A-G45 combo

With the shell shocker today, I'm going to go ahead on jump on the G.Skill 8GB Kit. For whatever reason, I am leaning towards the Z68 flavor motherboards. I'm thinking of just getting a cheap i3-2100 for now (and likely waiting for some sort of sale on it). In the future, I could grab a 2500k or whatever to drop in the board and oc until my heart's content. I really like the features of the ASRock Z68 PRO3, but there is that one review that speaks of the board using an "Etron USB 3.0 controller, which is incompatible with the ubiquitous JMicron USB 3.0 chip used in most external USB 3.0 hard drives." That definitely worries me since I will without a doubt want to interface an external HDD to the board via USB 3. Anyone know of any truth to this? Should I look at different boards?

Is the general consensus that I shouldn't use my OCZ PS for this build? The Antec linked above is now over $70. Are the Corsair Builder Series any good?

Thanks again for all the help.

With the shell shocker today, I'm going to go ahead on jump on the G.Skill 8GB Kit. For whatever reason, I am leaning towards the Z68 flavor motherboards. I'm thinking of just getting a cheap i3-2100 for now (and likely waiting for some sort of sale on it). In the future, I could grab a 2500k or whatever to drop in the board and oc until my heart's content.
How long would it take you to get enough cash to buy the Core i5 2500K in the future?

Why exactly do you want a Z68 mobo? What features does the Z68 have over the P67 chipset that you'll actually use?

I really like the features of the ASRock Z68 PRO3, but there is that one review that speaks of the board using an "Etron USB 3.0 controller, which is incompatible with the ubiquitous JMicron USB 3.0 chip used in most external USB 3.0 hard drives." That definitely worries me since I will without a doubt want to interface an external HDD to the board via USB 3. Anyone know of any truth to this? Should I look at different boards?
I don't recommend any AsRock mobo on account of the one year warranty that AsRock provides. Similar priced mobos tend to have 3 year warranties at the least. So I would recommend taking a look at different motherboards from Asus, MSI, or Gigabyte.

Dunno about the whole USB 3.0 issue you're talking about.

Is the general consensus that I shouldn't use my OCZ PS for this build? The Antec linked above is now over $70. Are the Corsair Builder Series any good?

Yes, do not reuse that OCZ PSU. The Corsair Builder series is all right but a tad overpriced for the amount amperage on the +12V rail you get IMO. If you're willing to spend $70 on a PSU, I recommend this PSU instead:
$70 - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W PSU

IMO, the above PSU is a far far better deal and a better bang for your buck value than the Corsair builder series.

Of course I have no idea what my future will bring, but I can see getting quite a bit of use out of the Z68 mobos. Like I said, I can get a cheap i3 for now, and then just drop in an i5 after the newer tech is out and they are much cheaper. That way I will be able to have fun ocing and perhaps breathe a bit of life back into the rig. Once I can't take it any more and want to upgrade to a new build, I can turn this one into an HTPC and just use the on-chip video as a silent option. So the ocing ability and the video ability of the Z68 is appealing to me (which I will use neither of immediately oddly enough). Just trying to anticipate what I might do with the system in the future.

At least that's what I'm thinking anyway.

Of course I have no idea what my future will bring, but I can see getting quite a bit of use out of the Z68 mobos. Like I said, I can get a cheap i3 for now, and then just drop in an i5 after the newer tech is out and they are much cheaper. That way I will be able to have fun ocing and perhaps breathe a bit of life back into the rig. Once I can't take it any more and want to upgrade to a new build, I can turn this one into an HTPC and just use the on-chip video as a silent option. So the ocing ability and the video ability of the Z68 is appealing to me (which I will use neither of immediately oddly enough). Just trying to anticipate what I might do with the system in the future.

At least that's what I'm thinking anyway.

Well, if you get the Core i3-2100 ($125), I would scrap your plans of getting a 2500k ($220) and wait until Ivy Bridge comes out (the next generation of Intel chips due out in 2012.) However, the Z68 will not support chips after Ivy Bridge. Personally, given your stated budget I'd just get a 2500k right now (or a 2500 if you don't want to OC -- they're $195 right now) and a P67 or a Z68 motherboard, whichever is cheaper and meets your requirements. I agree with Danny that ASRock's warranty isn't long enough when their competitors are offering 3 years in most cases. I would also wait until Newegg's CPU and motherboard combo deals are out (most of them don't appear to be out yet.)

So... I ended up getting the 8 GB of G. Skill Ripjaws and the Antec High Current Gamer 620. I have pretty much decided to go ahead and jump on the Core i5 2500K (which happens to be $15 off this weekend). It seems like it will be really hard to beat that bang for the buck especially when OC'd. I figured that I would need to get an aftermarket HSF if I'm going to bump it up, so I'm looking at getting the tried and true Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. I'm still debating on motherboards, but I am leaning towards this Asus P8Z68-V. It is more expensive than the LE version I was looking at, but I would think that it might be a bit better of a board to OC with. Another board that has caught my eye is the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, but I really think that is going to be more board than I need (but I really like the front panel USB 3.0 bracket it comes with too).

I look at all this stuff that I didn't want to spend all this money on, and I think to myself that all I need now is a HDD, ODD, and a case, and I will have a whole new computer. So much for upgrading a computer, I'm building a new one. Since my DVD burner is sketchy at best anyway, I can justify the $20 on a new one. That leaves HDD and case. I'm looking at this LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W case. For the HDD, I'm somewhat at a loss. I have read that this drive is a good choice.

I am still unsure if I will get the case and HDD, but at this point, I figure I might as well. That PS I got has a bunch of wires, and the case I currently have has zero cable management built in. The hard drives I have currently are a 320GB Seagate (7200.9 I think) and a WD 2500 something or other.

Any thoughts or opinions by you guys would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Go the Asus Z68 mobo. That case is a good choice. Don't bother with that Seagate drive as it is slower than this Samsung drive:
$60 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

After having all the parts sitting in my house for about a week, I finally got a chance to put this thing together. I have some last minute things to do on my old machine to get it ready for retirement, and then I will yank out its video card and one of its hard drives (to use as a scratch disc). Then it will be software time. Working full time and going to school full time doesn't leave much time for anything, but I hope to have made the transition from my old machine to my new machine within the next few days. Then maybe I can even find a little bit of time to enjoy it some too!

But... I was pretty stoked with how it turned out. I took my time with the build, and did the best I could with the wires and stuff. I figured I would take some pics to show you guys and to say thanks one more time for the advice.

Final components:
Lian Li Lancool PC-K62
Asus P8Z68-V
Intel Core i5-2500K
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner
Antec High Current Gamer Series 620W
Xigmatek XLF-F1253 120mm 4 white LED Orange Case Fan (because I love the way this fan looks)

parts.jpg

build.jpg

guts.jpg

powered.jpg

brain.jpg

buildPowered.jpg

Dude, that's great work there with the cable management.

Glad to see your build went off without a hitch!

Back