Otoy Uses Gamer GPU Cloud to Render Content

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
VentureBeat reports that Otoy is using a gamer GPU "cloud" to collaboratively render graphics on the cheap. RNDR harnesses over 14,000 GPUs that would normally be sitting idle in PCs, and connects them using "cloud, blockchain, and cryptocurrency technologies," The company claims the whole system obtained a combined OctaneBench score of 1.5 million, compared to a score of 37 for a single Amazon EC2 instance with Nvidia Tesla GPUs. The project has already received support from JJ Abrams and Ari Emanuel. Interestingly, Otoy announced a "fusion cloud" rendering project with AMD back in 2009, and this appears to be the fruit of those efforts.

In an email, Urbach said, "In one week, we have amassed more GPU rendering power, from small individual users on the RNDR network, than we have ever been able to offer in the five years since we launched Otoy's public cloud services. This indicates that our network will only continue to grow and expand, especially once we allow larger mining facilities onto the network, and also offer MESA/MPAA certification guidelines for studio work. The cost and scale of GPU rendering and compute has been turned on its head through the RNDR platform, just 10 years after I first made the case for this with the CEO of AMD on stage at CES 2009. Through RNDR, we now have the capacity to process jobs for holographic rendering (100 times the compute of VR or film rendering) for games and volumetric media (such as for our partnership with Facebook 360)."

Only 14,000 gpus?

Wonder when will idle computers with ea orgin, steam, etc just be used to render graphics for them.

"We use other peoples' computers and electricity to make money. And for little to no compensation!"

no no.. your wording it wrong.. look at how they word it..

Our vision is to democratize computing rendering power

Thats from their website. :rolleyes:

Anyone that follows crypto and mining news on actual crypto enthusiast sites and related reddit subs recognizes that these guys are just the latest in a string of upstarts with the same idea, and they've pretty much all been b.s.

In fairness this may be slightly more legit than the ones always spamming reddit trying to recruit people, but it's not a new idea.

Last edited:
So, how do individuals contribute their GPU time? And how (if at all) are they compensated?
Haven’t looked into the tech, but I would assume you would use a client to join the network. Set some parameters on how much the system can be utilized and be on standby. Then you would receive a job or part of a job, complete it and then receive a partial RNDR token.

The Render Network™, through the use of RNDR™ tokens, will be the first network to transform the power of GPU compute into a decentralized economy of connected 3D assets.

OTOY’s vision is to distribute the framework of the existing rendering service in OctaneRender® using RNDR, a digital token built on the Ethereum blockchain.

The Render Network is designed to connect users looking to perform render jobs with people who have idle GPUs to process the renders. Owners would connect their GPUs to the Render Network in order to receive and complete rendering jobs using OctaneRender. Users would send RNDR to the individual performing the render work and OTOY would receive a small percentage of RNDR for facilitating the transaction and running the Render Network.

Haven’t looked into the tech, but I would assume you would use a client to join the network. Set some parameters on how much the system can be utilized and be on standby. Then you would receive a job or part of a job, complete it and then receive a partial RNDR token.

I wonder to what amount of money that actually amounts...I highly doubt it isn't anything worthwhile or if it even pays for electricity cost.

I wonder to what amount of money that actually amounts...I highly doubt it isn't anything worthwhile or if it even pays for electricity cost.

This could be done in the same was that the miners did where they figured out the cost/benefit ratio. Thus you could allow people to state "This is my price per unit of work". This would allow the service to then established a moving price and give that as an value to the person wanting to do the render. Today the cost of a render might be $2 and tomorrow it could be $3. Eitherway it is a very transprent way to put an actual value on "doing something".

So folding at home or bionc, right? Except you aren't donating your processing power to help scientists search for a cure to cancer or understand the fundamental reality of nature. Instead you donate it to a guy who turns around and sells it to weebs to render their newest dickchick models.

That about right?

So capitalism invents communism?! I thought I've seen everything. then something like this comes around.

Trepidat0n pretty much said what I was going to, there will be certain cards/setups that are more viable than others at a hash/render rate vs power consumption. But I do not see a going price for the token, nor do I see it on exchange I used. Per render, a token buys you 256 seconds worth of render time (cant find the source now) and I do not know if that provides full access to 14,000+ GPUs. But if the service works and is secure/better than the alternatives it could be worth a lot. As for the overall profitability and will it pay for electricity... Would have to see what an average workload takes to complete along with what people are willing to pay for said service.

This could be done in the same was that the miners did where they figured out the cost/benefit ratio. Thus you could allow people to state "This is my price per unit of work". This would allow the service to then established a moving price and give that as an value to the person wanting to do the render. Today the cost of a render might be $2 and tomorrow it could be $3. Eitherway it is a very transprent way to put an actual value on "doing something".

Back