• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

OT- Any ideas for a notebook?

marty9876

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - February 2006
Joined
Jun 11, 2003
Messages
4,906
I'm getting a new notebook on work nickle, it's been awhile since I looked into these. Any ideas? I think I might go with Dell :)(), Duo looks cool but I'm not sure if they come with decent video or not. I just want to be able to play a game here and there.

On the light side
3+ Hr battery life
Fit on an airplane (17" wide might be out)

< $2,500 price

Any ideas?
 
my work laptop is the dell inspiron 6000. Nuthin special added, but it folds well and i have warcraft 3 on here and i works just fine. And i took it to texas with my and i gamed the whole way. Well thats my 2 cents

FOR THE HORDE
 
At work i have a Dell XPS that rocks. Big screen, 2GB of RAM, Nvidia6800-vid-chipset. Around $4500 or so.

At home i have a Toshiba satalite R10 tablet PC. I love having a tablet PC. Some people seem to have complaints about Toshiba, but mine has been fine. Other people make tablet-pcs too anyhow. Mine was arounf $2700 and has 15inch screen, 2GB or RAM, and a crummy vid-chipset (I don't run any new games on it anyhow, I have my desktop for that).
 
For the most part, something lighter would be nice. I'm guessing the XPS are tanks. Currently my battery life is 10 minutes for any movie I try and watch on a plane... :(

Just weighed my current notebook, 7.7 pounds. Not bad, not sure how much lighter I can get. With the power brick and all my crap, the case is 25+ pounds. Get's old lugging through airports.

Keep the ideas coming! I'm not set on Dell, I just like all the free stuff they give you (flat screens ect).
 
Duos look very nice and Dell is really discounting them. If I were to buy a decently portable laptop right now it would be one of those.


Note:
I just got done calculating the power draw on my 2.0Ghz Turion (ML-37) while folding at full speed: 1.67KWH over 52 hours (.77KWH per day or 10 cents a day for me). Basically it draws 33 watts when closed up folding, which I like a lot.
 
Look at the Dell D620 it is the latitude line which stand up better then the Insp line.

I have a Dell D610 with dual batt's I get about 8 hours on a full charge surfing the net watching avi files or what not. With full brightness on. It also is a lil under 6 lbs with a 14.1 screen is pretty good I think. This thing has taken a lot from me and still works with no probs.

Also IBM Lenovo is a good notebook from what I have read. IBM makes some good stuff although they cost a tad more
 
Viper87227 said:
I do believe he said he wanted to play a game here and there ;)

Bootcamp my man, bootcamp. :D And it'll be native in 10.5.


 
p[H]ant0m said:
Bootcamp my man, bootcamp. :D And it'll be native in 10.5.



Well, that would me he would have to obtain a copy of XP also, thereby (probably) adding to the cost. Also, isn't bootcamp still buggy?

Plus... boot camp or not, its still a product of Apple.
 
I was kinda thinking about the Dell Precision line, M65/M90 ect. Can't find a good answer if the NVIDIA Quadro® FX 350M 512MB TurboCache OpenGL workstation graphics thingy can play games or not.
 
Back
Top