• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

OSX is nice.

Well that's one mystery solved. All google references keep pointing to the numlock on the laptop keyboards. Will have to check if there's some sort of utility that simulates a numlock. Coding involves a lot of repetitive back and forth, so i use the keypad a lot to move through the code.

Can you elaborate on what's missing on the windows keyboard?
 
Last edited:
Well that's one mystery solved. All google references keep pointing to the numlock on the laptop keyboards. Will have to check if there's some sort of utility that simulates a numlock. Coding involves a lot of repetitive back and forth, so i use the keypad a lot to move through the code.

Can you elaborate on what's missing on the windows keyboard?

The command button.

I think you can disable numlock by enabling Mouse Keys. I know that several resources just said download and app.

If this is a brand new Mac Mini.. Its gone sound stupid but I would just call apple. They have an amazing support line. I called about adding ram and ssd.
 
Last edited:
@mode54
A question. Does the keypad on an actual mac keyboard w/ keypad turn into cursor keys?

And what's the difference between a mac keyboard and a windows keyboard? How does it make a difference?
If you hit command+space (win+space), type accessibility (or enough letters until it shows up in the drop-down), click on mouse & trackpad, enable mouse keys, click on options, check "press option key five times to toggle mouse keys"

that will turn your keypad into cursor keys (Win = command)

my comment was more about a trackpad vs. a mouse than an OS X keyboard vs. a Windows keyboard (and it wasn't meant to be snarky--if it came off that way my apologies). more about recognizing there are some important differences that come down more to familiarity with OS X than its functionality.

The trackpad is a worthy investment, in my opinion. I bought mine, brand new, from craigslist for $45.

The main differences between the keyboard are the keys. You see a couple that are different in those screenshots. The ones that control nearly all of the shortcuts are the option and command keys. While you can use alt and Win for them on your keyboard, their locations are reversed. So not only do you have to translate where they are (like a language, replacing Command with Win every key press) but you have to train your fingers to skip over an extra key. The more you plan to use shortcuts the more those pauses will magnify over time.

In a dual environment, it's annoying enough to distract me. While I *can* use my windows keyboard when I vnc into my OS X server, I can feel the keyboard slowing me down. Likewise when I remote desktop into my windows computer with my macbook (using a mac keyboard on a windows OS).

It detracts from the enjoyment of the experience. And that's kind of like how I'd imagine a mouse without access to a trackpad would feel in OS X. It's just a notch below a fully enjoyable experience. If nothing else, remap those two keys I've been referencing.

Wrench is right that in OS X, unlike Windows, the keys are standard across the entire environment. The UI acts more like Gnome than Windows. If you have experience in linux keeping that in mind might help with the adjustment to OS X.
 
The command button.

It's here. The shortcuts wouldn't work if there wasn't one. Have you actually tried using a PC keyboard on a mac?

I think you can disable numlock by enabling Mouse Keys. I know that several resources just said download and app.

Already tried, it doesn't turn the numpad into a keypad.

If this is a brand new Mac Mini.. Its gone sound stupid but I would just call apple. They have an amazing support line. I called about adding ram and ssd.

Actually, you already answered the main question. Mac does not have a num lock. Nobody else seemed to have been able to turn off theirs either.

I'll see if i can find a keyboard remapper or something

EDIT: BTW, i used the Modifier Keys setting to switch the CMD and Option buttons. The remapper is for the keypad.
 
Last edited:
I use both and if I am to choose only one, it has to be windows 7. Contrary to what other people say, I think windows 7 is snappier in every single way.
 
It's here. The shortcuts wouldn't work if there wasn't one. Have you actually tried using a PC keyboard on a mac?



Already tried, it doesn't turn the numpad into a keypad.



Actually, you already answered the main question. Mac does not have a num lock. Nobody else seemed to have been able to turn off theirs either.

I'll see if i can find a keyboard remapper or something

EDIT: BTW, i used the Modifier Keys setting to switch the CMD and Option buttons. The remapper is for the keypad.
Yes I used another logitech keyboard 360 and command button didn't work (Windows)
 
Back
Top