- Joined
- Feb 22, 2001
- Messages
- 12,366
Debian own j00 allz!!!
I prefer Debian also my fine penguin friend.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Debian own j00 allz!!!
Enjoy the new Mini. They're quite nice for toying around with given their size. You'll want to get TRIM Enabler too. Or you can just use the terminal, but TRIM Enabler worked great for my Intel SSD in my MBP.
But, yeah, every single time heatlesssun makes a post this song plays in my head while I read his posts. Except I hear it as raspberries instead of instruments. I am simply incapable of taking such shills seriously in any capacity.
edit your fstab so the drives are mounted noatime, too
with 16gb of ram you'll either want to turn off sleep and delete the image or limit the size of it
what says that fstab is deprecated? copy/paste what makes you think that so I can seeSays that Lion has fstab deprecated. Whats this do?
but I don't see the noatime thing.what says that fstab is deprecated? copy/paste what makes you think that so I can see
anyway, atime is an attribute that is written to each file every time it is accessed. so each read operation is also a write operation. that reduces file i/o and ssd longevity. noatime tells it not to do that
you need to find your uuid by going to disk utility and clicking on your partitions and clicking on "info"
inside the info box you'll see something called universal unique identifier
then open terminal (click COMMAND + SPACEBAR and then type terminal)
then type sudo vifs
then in fstab type
UUID=<paste your UUID here> none hfs noatime
then hit ESC and type :wq
then you can check if it worked by typing 'mount' (you can do that before you start and see if it's automatically mounted your ssd noatime)
It's difficult to compare OS X to Windows 8. Currently Windows 8 has no true analog in that it supports multiple input methods and can natively run both desktop and touch first applications and multiple form factors. That's not to say that Windows 8 is superior, indeed many Windows 8 opponents have pointed out that Apple hasn't taken the hybrid approach and that OS X + iOS is superior to Windows 8. And that might very well be true. But the point is that it does take two distinct Apple OSes running on two distinct platforms to do what Windows 8 can do with one. iOS is certainly more developed and capable on the tablet front than Windows 8 and conversely Windows 8 is certainly more developed and capable in the realm of the desktop.
Currently the edge would go to Apple with a two versus one strategy as the mobile market is rapidly growing and the desktop market is contracting and this contraction is even affecting the Mac.
I think that's why I have a Apple notebook and am sticking with PC for desktop (although the notebooks use OSX and not iOS and I am not sure what to do when I get my next desktop as far as Windows 8 goes, since I am still unsure if it's really an update from Windows 7 that I want to make).
It will be interesting to see how all of this evolves in the coming years. Maybe the hybrid strategy of Windows 8 but the idea that tablets are just tablets and will for ever and always be primarily consumption devices and that there's no place for touch on traditional laptops and desktops whatsoever doesn't make a lot of sense to me as far as the history of computers goes. There's certainly a bigger and bigger push for traditional productive computing tasks on tablets and it does seem natural to want a single device or platform that can do everything.
I think your very wrong. My opinion. History has proven that delivery of information is the important IE Consumption. Which sometimes its whats actually needed ie status update, communications between teams etc. Problem is that the human brain sucks and gets overwhelmed with information and productivity goes down drastically when forced to digest to much content. Touch environment is fine and works with sever productivity limitations, minor modifications and changes. Once you start working with fine and granular inputs Touch falls flat on its face.
Don't believe me try this, use visio to diagram inheritance from Sharepoint users and groups while also getting information out of outlook and referencing Sharepoint Site Collections. Try this on a tablet with touch interface and then do it on a desktop through legacy means and see
which one is faster to do.
Yes the amount of Workstations will decrease but never diminish to the point of irrelevance mainly because content creation is easier and faster to do in "Legacy" form.
This goes the same for Content creators and Content Consumers, some people make but most just consume.
The point of hybrid operation from a Windows 8 perspective is that one would use whatever type of device and input that one wanted for a particular task. Even in the scenario that you're describing here, Windows 8 wouldn't be that different from Windows 7, all the applications that you mention would run just fine and work with a keyboard and mouse just fine.
And the scenario that you're describing here is far from the only productive scenario. For some reason people some people only define productivity in terms of the amount of applications that can run onscreen or that work well with keyboards and mice. What about the student that's working with science and math problems? A tablet with touch and pen will often work better than with keyboards and mice.
And so here is the issue. Even you expect the number of workstations to decrease but then think that there should be this "pure" version of Windows that works only well with keyboards and mice. Give more and more features for less and less money but hey, that's fine because the user base is shrinking?
Again I am not comparing Windows 8 Legacy to Windows 7. What I am comparing is touch vs "Legacy". What the problem that most people have is that 8 Metro Interface breaks peoples workflow with out substantially adding a useful function. This is why in a lot of people situation 7 is superior. To put it simply 8 Metro is just in the fucking way of people accomplishing tasks. Unlike you I haven't met a single user that has liked 8, heck more people switched to Mac's then embraced 8.
As for the student a Pencil and some paper will work much better and much cheaper. I can use visio to create a network diagram but I find it much more productive first to create it on a white board.
Workstation will diminish compared to content consumption devices yes, but will the amount of PC really decrease from the current numbers I doubt it. Its the ratio of consumption devices vs creation devices that will get skewed. This is because for the first time in history content consumption is cheaper and easier to get then before.
My best exampe of the content consumption craze is the Xbox One. TV,TV,TV,TV, SPORTS,SPORTS, COD with a Dog.
It's not a zero sum game, it's not really about touch vs keyboard and mouse but touch AND keyboard and mouse. I understand the arguments around the new UI and some having issues with it and some of those issues are perfectly legitimate and some are a bit on the nitpicking side. At any rate, the UI is different from the last 20 years and that's mostly what's the issue is I believe. Sure 8 could be better at integrating touch and keyboards and mice and everyone is aware of that, including Microsoft.
A pencil and paper isn't a fully functional computer so if one needs a computer anyway that has to be taken into account when doing a cost benefit analysis of pen capable tablet/hybrid. Also digital ink has many capabilities beyond ordinary pen and paper. It can be searched and edited and emailed and backed up and converted to text, even in real
time.
I essentially agree with this. However Windows 8 does allow for one device to do both creation in the tradition of the PC and consumption like a tablet. Like or dislike 8 that's what it does, the argument of course comes in how well if does these things.
Not really sure what you're getting at. Most colleges and universities require laptops and/or tablets these days and both Apple and Microsoft have deals in place with lots of educational institutions to provide computer technology. And if you can't take a computer into a test or final but can have notes it's a simple matter of printing them out if needed.
You also under the impression that USA=Rest of the world. Sorry to burst your bubble but thank god most of the world is not USA.
Printing them out if needed well why not just write them in the first place?
Screw carrying anything if I have a cell phone that can record voice and have a high enough resolution camera. Don't forget about the text books, lots of profs still have that requirement.
I've communicated with a number of students over the years outside of the US who use pens with Tablet PCs for note taking. Not sure where you're coming up with this.
This is like saying that if one ever has the need to print out a Word document then why not just use a typewriter. Almost no one, even people outside of the US, would choose to use a typewriter over a modern word processor but for some reason, even with technically inclined people, some suggest that creating handwritten notes in total disregard of the power and flexibility of creating information digitally.
Ok, but it's hard to get much done solely with a phone.
You may have a hard time on a phone I don't. Or Maybe your doing it wrong. Hell I manage network of 160+ Machines from my phone. I don't need a laptop or a tablet unless I am doing some serious troubleshooting at which I usually just connect to a remote server.
Don't believe me try this, use visio to diagram inheritance from Sharepoint users and groups while also getting information out of outlook and referencing Sharepoint Site Collections. Try this on a tablet with touch interface and then do it on a desktop through legacy means and see which one is faster to do.
There is no real comparative advantage that I can see going from digital note taking (which on the most part is not needed since most profs have available notes on their websites) over the traditional pen and paper. I am sure your gone tell me but you can access your information any where. YES I want to access my US History notes while I am taking a shit! Your really grasping at some far fetched and niche ideas. You obviously also don't understand how humans learn (and yes I do know how humans learn since I was a teacher).
I think Google Glass will be more useful for classes then notetaking on a tablet will ever be. You should know this its about content delivery and information management, you out of all the people should know this since you claim to be a Sharepoint developer.
So what about all of the scenarios you mention like the one you mentioned here:
Not sure what point you're trying to make. If you can do your work from a phone then great. But I would imagine that you're not trying to do the above on a phone screen using only touch.
So the only advantage that a word processor has over a typewriter is that it allows someone to access their documents in the bathroom?
Digital ink is just another way interact with a device. You're taking the concept of note taking too literally. It would be difficult to whiteboard or work with scientific or mathematical notation or annotate and markup a document with Google Glass.
I use OneNote extensively and the beauty of it is that it can store any kind of information in a freeform fashion. Store text, images, video, audio, files, ink, whatever. Searchable, encrypted and automatically backed up.
Why would it be so difficult to annotate with google glass, with gestures its completely possible. If you can geo location of picture I don't see the problem with doing this on a micro level. Google already has image based research in the works. Why do you discount this possibility. Its touch which you like but it goes one step further from interfacing with a 2d object with real life objects.
Yes but I guarantee you that you are in the minority and it will be quite some time before people start doing what your doing with a tablet even if ever.
As for the typerwriter comment I am not sure what you are referencing since I never mentioned type writes, I mentioned hand written notes and yes I can take them to the shiter as well ( I honestley prefer just to take a shit tho). Its unhygienic but its doable, the huge advantage is that I can throw out notes that I deem are unclean can't say the same about 500+ dollar device.
You may use onenote but then again I use CRM/Sharepoint/Salesforce/Project and I have no trouble find thing things I want any where in the world on any platform. I don't need a tablet at all. I take a lot of voice notes I use Google Keep extensively for personal stuff as well.
I wasn't discounting anything. I was just saying that annotating and marking up with document with a pen is a pretty natural and easy way to do something that been around for a while.
There's lots of things that people do with PCs around here that put them in the minority, like overclocking CPUs, building their own PCs, recording TV shows with Windows Media Center. A Windows PC can do all types of things that taken for the whole population of Windows users the minority uses.
We digitize keyboard strokes in documents and those same capabilities are available for ink as well.
OneNote is a free form information gathering tool, it really has nothing to do with the other products that you mention though it can work in conjunction with them.
I suppose you have your uses I have mine, but you can't of saying one way is wrong which you did. Google glass bad, Windows tablet good because I can take notes with it.
I have a Client where they can submit a picture the system uploads a picture into a document managment system it OCRs it indexes it automatically uploads it into Sharepoint and makes it available based on the user submitting it makes it available to entire organization or even the public it can be edited, annotated full indexed and searchable. Its very slick and trust me it beats the hell out of dragging any tablet/laptop around when a cell phone will do. Granted the system was expensive as shit but it works amazingly well.
FYI. Look up Laserfiche.
Windows tablets and OneNote and notation exist, Google Glass not so much. Tell me after a decade of use of Google Glass how good it is at notation. That's fait isn't it?
I actually work with systems that are similar to what you're describing here. And they aren't anything at all what OneNote is or have much to do with digital ink. I know you love to pride yourself on your amazing enterprise knowledge and think no one else here could possibly work for a large enterprise organization. I've worked for them most of my adult life. I work for a megabank, we have more than one system that does EXACTLY what you describe, I'm the lead developer on one that uses SharePoint actually.
Been using the mini for a week, and I'm still learning the shortcuts and hotkeys. So far tho, the controls layout seem haphazard. On windows, most of the controls are made in such a way that you don't have to move your hands as much. If both hands are on the keyboard, you can use two hand shortcuts to get around. If one hand is on the keyboard and one is on the mouse, you can use the mouse in combination with one had shortcuts to accomplish the same things. On the mini so far, I let go of the mouse because I need two hands on the keyboard for some of the shortcuts, and then switch back to the mouse to continue the shortcut, sometimes cycling back and forth between the two to complete a single task. I'm still googling for productivity tips, because I can't believe you actually do it like this for real work.
And I don't get the people egging others to switch to OSX because of metro. I need to open Launchpad to open applications on OSX, which takes up your entire screen as well![]()