OSX is nice.

Wrench00

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 30, 2003
Messages
3,423
I am not a Mac fan and I haven't used OSX sine 10.4
I am so impressed with the Design now. Its very nice I like the integration of the simpler interface ie iOS. The thing that I was most impressed by is the fact its GORGEOUS makes 8 look like pukie shit. I think I am gone pickup a Mini. .
 
Eh, it is ok. Dock is still dumb.
You probably shouldn't be using it often if you want to be efficient about application launching and task-switching. It's a handy way to access the Downloads folder as a stack, but beyond that, there are more efficient means to accomplish other tasks.

Doesn't change the poor idea of the Dock be a poor idea.
That isn't a sentence.
 
It's difficult to compare OS X to Windows 8. Currently Windows 8 has no true analog in that it supports multiple input methods and can natively run both desktop and touch first applications and multiple form factors. That's not to say that Windows 8 is superior, indeed many Windows 8 opponents have pointed out that Apple hasn't taken the hybrid approach and that OS X + iOS is superior to Windows 8. And that might very well be true. But the point is that it does take two distinct Apple OSes running on two distinct platforms to do what Windows 8 can do with one. iOS is certainly more developed and capable on the tablet front than Windows 8 and conversely Windows 8 is certainly more developed and capable in the realm of the desktop.

Currently the edge would go to Apple with a two versus one strategy as the mobile market is rapidly growing and the desktop market is contracting and this contraction is even affecting the Mac.
 
It's difficult to compare OS X to Windows 8. Currently Windows 8 has no true analog in that it supports multiple input methods and can natively run both desktop and touch first applications and multiple form factors. That's not to say that Windows 8 is superior, indeed many Windows 8 opponents have pointed out that Apple hasn't taken the hybrid approach and that OS X + iOS is superior to Windows 8. And that might very well be true. But the point is that it does take two distinct Apple OSes running on two distinct platforms to do what Windows 8 can do with one. iOS is certainly more developed and capable on the tablet front than Windows 8 and conversely Windows 8 is certainly more developed and capable in the realm of the desktop.

Currently the edge would go to Apple with a two versus one strategy as the mobile market is rapidly growing and the desktop market is contracting and this contraction is even affecting the Mac.

Are you stalking me?

People accuse me of crashing 8 threads..

I frankly don't give a shit about Windows 8 mobile since I have NO USE FOR IT. I don't care that Windows 8 can run mobile apps. I own an Android Phone and an Android Tablet I don't need or want a faux computing unity. I use the tool I feel its right for the job.

Also if apple did do a a Hybrid OS they sure as hell would do a better job then MS integrating the two into a cohesive platform. Everything flows on OSX, I can't say the same for Windows 8 and its jarring use interface.

To top it off Windows 8 LOOKS LIKE SHIT. METRO IS UGLY. The thread wasn't about 8 and its capabilities it was about how nice I thought OSX was.
 
Just drop windows and be done with it. You clearly hate it.

OSX looks great, but I cant stand a lot of the workflow in it once you are actually trying to get anything done. Its fun to play with and use casually, but not for serious work IMO. But I know many others that do like it and use it for their work.
 
Are you stalking me?

People accuse me of crashing 8 threads..

I frankly don't give a shit about Windows 8 mobile since I have NO USE FOR IT. I don't care that Windows 8 can run mobile apps. I own an Android Phone and an Android Tablet I don't need or want a faux computing unity. I use the tool I feel its right for the job.

Also if apple did do a a Hybrid OS they sure as hell would do a better job then MS integrating the two into a cohesive platform. Everything flows on OSX, I can't say the same for Windows 8 and its jarring use interface.

To top it off Windows 8 LOOKS LIKE SHIT. METRO IS UGLY. The thread wasn't about 8 and its capabilities it was about how nice I thought OSX was.

It doesn't really matter what you or I think about Windows 8 or OS X. I just pointed out that OS X is not a functional equivalent of Windows 8. OS X and Windows at this point are very different OSes that simply do not address the same concerns. If the concerns that Windows 8 addresses are of no importance to you, then they are of no importance to you. You seem hell bent to prove that Windows 8's capabilities are of no importance to anyone. That's the essence of stalking.

If Windows 8 and any prodigy like it fail, then they fail. I easily can accept that. It's obvious that if Windows 8 and its successors succeed that we can expect many threads like this one to continue from you with a vengeance.
 
Last edited:
Just drop windows and be done with it. You clearly hate it.

Exactly. For all of the attacks that he's made on others, I do not believe a soul has told him he me MUST use Windows 8. He talks of stalking, clearly he's stalking Windows 8 and it's getting creepy . DON'T USE WINDOWS 8!!!! I REPEAT DON'T USE WINDOWS 8!!!!

If you love the other OSes, please, use them. At this point you must be ready to kill someone with the constant and inaccurate complaints. Just don't use Windows 8.
 
You mean the one that 100+ Windows applications try to recreate? The one that was the "inspiration" for the Windows 7 taskbar?

Ok, great. It is still a crappy way to work. The windows 7 taskbar has about as much in common with the dock as it does with a Giant Sloth. Last I looked, (looking now, nope) 10.8 does not have any preview capacity like 7 does when mousing over open applications. So what was your point?
 
You mean the one that 100+ Windows applications try to recreate? The one that was the "inspiration" for the Windows 7 taskbar?

Too bad the windows taskbar seems to do it better.

Just drop windows and be done with it. You clearly hate it.

OSX looks great, but I cant stand a lot of the workflow in it once you are actually trying to get anything done. Its fun to play with and use casually, but not for serious work IMO. But I know many others that do like it and use it for their work.

Yea agree. The windows 7 taskbar is much better once you start trying to get work done. Hell the preview functions of it and the alt tab are so much better than the mac versions. How the task bar handles multiple windows open works a lot better as well. I say all of this as I type it on a current gen i7 mini.

Cinch is a cheap program and gives you some of the functions of 7/8 as far as the resize windows to half of the screen(left or right) or maximize if you drag up but it doesn't work as well as the built in function in windows. It doesn't support the keyboard functions though(the same company makes a program sizeup to do it but its another add one cost, be it pretty cheap).

Apple's full screen mode they introduced not too long ago also is messed up. It doesn't play that nice with multiple monitors.

I will say apple has been trying to catch up some. Versions, introduced with lion, is a copy of volume shadow copy which ms has had over a decade.

Don't get me wrong, I like mac os. I have a windows vm running on my desktop mac though for when I need to get a lot of work done(I also don't like the search and some other things in outlook for mac and use the windows version but that is another discussion).
 
Exactly. For all of the attacks that he's made on others, I do not believe a soul has told him he me MUST use Windows 8. He talks of stalking, clearly he's stalking Windows 8 and it's getting creepy . DON'T USE WINDOWS 8!!!! I REPEAT DON'T USE WINDOWS 8!!!!

If you love the other OSes, please, use them. At this point you must be ready to kill someone with the constant and inaccurate complaints. Just don't use Windows 8.

I was saying how nice OSX was compared to 8. It was a compliment on esthetics compared to Windows Modern Style.

Why the fuck do you come in and Troll my thread about how Windows 8 does this and done better then OSX about features I never even mentioned. I like the interface it clean simple easy to use very easy to figure out. Why on gods green earth did you start posting shit about 8 in Mac forum?

Did I ask for you opinion or your in depth analysis of Operating Systems? All I did is post a thread about OSX design the fuck is wrong with you? You have nothing better to do then antagonize other users on this forum?

I don't defend Apple not a die hard anything.

I know 8 gets a lot of hate but holy shit jumping on a OSX thread just to shit on it with Windows 8 Propaganda is not helping anything.
 
Everybody likes different things. I work with Linux and Windows regularly, and macs occasionally. I love the trackpad but I could never use a mac because I hate the global menu bar. Seems like a petty complaint but it drives me nuts. That and windows seems to do everything I need a little bit better than a mac would besides laptop battery life and trackpad.
 
It's difficult to compare OS X to Windows 8.
It's difficult for you, as you know little about the former. It's not difficult for others.

People accuse me of crashing 8 threads..
You knew exactly what you were doing when you mentioned Windows 8. You wanted him here and you got what you wanted, so don't complain and don't act coy.

The windows 7 taskbar is much better once you start trying to get work done. Hell the preview functions of it and the alt tab are so much better than the mac versions.
Previews have their uses, but I find it easier to identify applications by their associated icons for task switching. I rarely find myself waiting for a taskbar preview to display before I take some action.

How the task bar handles multiple windows open works a lot better as well.
Agree.
 
It's difficult for you, as you know little about the former. It's not difficult for others.

You knew exactly what you were doing when you mentioned Windows 8. You wanted him here and you got what you wanted, so don't complain and don't act coy.

Previews have their uses, but I find it easier to identify applications by their associated icons for task switching. I rarely find myself waiting for a taskbar preview to display before I take some action.

Agree.

I mentioned esthetics thats it never made any comments about functionality. Just because 8 was mentioned that wasn't some invitation for Heatlessun to come in a spew shit about Windows 8.
 
It's difficult for you, as you know little about the former. It's not difficult for others.

If you're the expert then perhaps you can provide insight as to how OS X works on tablets, touch and pen enabled devices compared to Windows 8.
 
Speaking of which Has any one virtualized OSX?

I know Esxi can do it but it has to be on mac hardware.. I guess I will find out.

Lucky enough I stopped at costsco and grabbed couple lenovo external usb drives for 14 bucks/each..
 
I mentioned esthetics thats it never made any comments about functionality.
Aesthetics.

If you're the expert then perhaps you can provide insight as to how OS X works on tablets, touch and pen enabled devices compared to Windows 8.
I didn't claim to be an expert.

Speaking of which Has any one virtualized OSX? I know Esxi can do it but it has to be on mac hardware.. I guess I will find out.
I've done it in VMWare Player, but you're essentially setting that up as Hackintosh. Any Hackintosh guide you follow should work.
 
Speaking of which Has any one virtualized OSX?

I know Esxi can do it but it has to be on mac hardware.. I guess I will find out.

Lucky enough I stopped at costsco and grabbed couple lenovo external usb drives for 14 bucks/each..

I have it setup on my macbook using parallels in a vm. Works pretty much like any other vm setup.
 
Speaking of which Has any one virtualized OSX?

I know Esxi can do it but it has to be on mac hardware.. I guess I will find out.

Lucky enough I stopped at costsco and grabbed couple lenovo external usb drives for 14 bucks/each..

Virtualization is against the OS X (not OSX) EULA. Can't legally do it.
 
Virtualization is against the OS X (not OSX) EULA. Can't legally do it.

When I spoke with Apple rep he said its ok as long as you do it on apple hardware and purchase per user licensing which you have to contact Apple for.
 
I didn't claim to be an expert.

I didn't claim to be an expert either. I simply said that it's difficult to compare OS X to Windows 8. If someone were to ask you what is the Apple equivalent of your Surface, what would you tell them? It would be pretty difficult to recommend an OS X device that supports touch screens since such hardware is not officially supported by Apple. And while I don't use OS X, have you used OS X on a modified touch Mac and know how well works?
 
When I spoke with Apple rep he said its ok as long as you do it on apple hardware and purchase per user licensing which you have to contact Apple for.

Right, but that's literally never the use case discussed on these forums.
 
Virtualization is against the OS X (not OSX) EULA. Can't legally do it.

Yea don't listen to this person, they have no idea what they are talking about.

Apple has supported it in the server versions since 10.5 and since lion on the desktop.

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx107.pdf

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within
virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already
running the Apple Software.
 
I pretty well much buy everything I use. I am also in the IT so I have tons of IUL and NFRs for testing.

So far I like the mini. Its a little slow but I will just get a bit of ram and most likely a SSD for this thing. So far I am pretty happy with it. I tried ESXi but ran into a problem I will investigate a bit more when I get some more memory. Its possible to do esxi
http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/05/thats-so-cool-running-esxi-5-on-apple.html, its all legal as well.

I am platform agnostic. I have windows, apple and google, most of my actual work resides in the cloud.

Couple little issues cropped up that I always though was a bit of an annoyance.
1. Maximize and minimize
2. My scroll wheel on my mouse is reversed.
 
I pretty well much buy everything I use. I am also in the IT so I have tons of IUL and NFRs for testing.

So far I like the mini. Its a little slow but I will just get a bit of ram and most likely a SSD for this thing. So far I am pretty happy with it. I tried ESXi but ran into a problem I will investigate a bit more when I get some more memory. Its possible to do esxi
http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/05/thats-so-cool-running-esxi-5-on-apple.html, its all legal as well.

I am platform agnostic. I have windows, apple and google, most of my actual work resides in the cloud.

Couple little issues cropped up that I always though was a bit of an annoyance.
1. Maximize and minimize
2. My scroll wheel on my mouse is reversed.

1. If you use the windows 7 drag to the top maximize look at cinch. They have some other apps as well for keyboard commands.
2. System Preferences, Mouse, you have a check box for Scroll Direction, uncheck it.

Edit: First thing I did with my new mini was bump the memory to 16gigs and add a 256gig 840pro ssd. I moved my home directory to the spinning hard drive(used owc's dual hd kit) and also currently have my windows vm running off it. Prob going to move the windows vm to the ssd as well.
 
Yea don't listen to this person, they have no idea what they are talking about.

Read the EULA closer. You have to do it on Apple hardware. Literally no one here is going to virtualize OS X on a Mac; they want to do it on their personally built rigs within Windows. That's not allowed by the EULA.

Honestly, I'm not even sure talking about OS X virtualization is within the [H] rules.
 
Read the EULA closer. You have to do it on Apple hardware. Literally no one here is going to virtualize OS X on a Mac; they want to do it on their personally built rigs within Windows. That's not allowed by the EULA.

Honestly, I'm not even sure talking about OS X virtualization is within the [H] rules.

And the OP said that they picked up a mini........

Also my comment still stands. You said running it in a VM was against the eula, it is not. The OP asked about running it in a VM, they did not say a VM on non-apple hardware.
 
And the OP said that they picked up a mini........

Also my comment still stands. You said running it in a VM was against the eula, it is not. The OP asked about running it in a VM, they did not say a VM on non-apple hardware.

You're not reading what I'm writing.
 
Back
Top