OSVR Discount for Academics and Developers

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
You likely already know what VR is, as we have covered it a good bit, but do you know what OSVR is? I know you probably did not guess it, but the "OS" in "OSVR" stands for "Open Source." This is what OSVR has to say about the movement.

OSVR is a movement founded to create a universal open source VR ecosystem for technologies across different brands and companies. Giving you the freedom to combine different brands of HMDs and Controllers to experience VR the way they want to.

Powering OSVR is an SDK that is designed to allow developers to support all the hardware available in the ecosystem at a single go. Addressing the challenges the industry is facing such as hardware fragmentation, allowing them to focus more on delivering high quality immersive experiences.

As you likely guessed, getting into Virtual Reality development is not inexpensive. But if you call in the next hour, we will discount your full purchase price by 20%. But call now! 20% off what exactly? No clue. Go get you some!

Its 20% off of $400 for the HDK2, so about $80. I had to click through quite a few links to get there. Kind of intriguing.... kind of.

I'd say the hdk2 is pretty similar to the dk2 from occulus.
Looking through their forums, people have used it for both occulus and vive content with varied results. Some apps/games work fine, others have a bit of an issue.
The main thing about this is the price, it's cheaper than the other two.
I don't think they have working roomscale, i could be wrong. The interesting part is using the leap motion camera which is an add on. From what i gather, it's a camera that you stick in front of the headset that tracks your hands and allows you to interact with virtual objects without any special controllers. Pretty neat technology but i don't think it's really out yet (you can't buy it on their site) and who knows how accurate the results will be. However it's definitely cooler than the vive/occulus controllers.

I'd say the hdk2 is pretty similar to the dk2 from occulus.
Looking through their forums, people have used it for both occulus and vive content with varied results. Some apps/games work fine, others have a bit of an issue.
The main thing about this is the price, it's cheaper than the other two.
I don't think they have working roomscale, i could be wrong. The interesting part is using the leap motion camera which is an add on. From what i gather, it's a camera that you stick in front of the headset that tracks your hands and allows you to interact with virtual objects without any special controllers. Pretty neat technology but i don't think it's really out yet (you can't buy it on their site) and who knows how accurate the results will be. However it's definitely cooler than the vive/occulus controllers.

If I recall correctly, the Leap camera had middling reviews at its release, and a fairly narrow field of view to boot. Relying on a single sensor set to capture hand motion suggests zombie memes will plague this solution.

Back