OS problems with new build

Well I just fininshed building my new PC yesterday the specs are in my sig. But the HDD hasn't come yet. So I put in a Ubuntu Live CD and it booted up fine through all the setup but when it came time to select the resolution I picked 1048x768 and 800x600 on 2 different times but I just got error messages about the video card.

I tryed a second thing to get a temporary OS. I took the IDE HDD with windows on it out of my dad's PC and installed it in mine. I booted into it and selected boot Windows normally. The XP loading screen came on and it just rebooted. When trying to boot into safe mode it just loaded up everything but never booted into it. Is this because the OEM version of Window is tied to that motherboard?

There could be a few things wrong here, but it most definitely has nothing to do with the fact you're using an OEM version of XP. Have you tried the video card in another PC?

No haven't been able to try another video card with the PC because this is the only PCIE board I have at the moment. Also the wierd thing is Ubuntu wouldn't work but I got the Gentoo live disk to work.

Maybe the Ubuntu CD doesnt have built in compatible drivers for that video card?

(did your dads PC boot up OK after you put his drive back in?)

The HDD from your dads PC most likely wouldnt boot due to different hardware/drivers/chipset/etc...

dbwillis said:
Maybe the Ubuntu CD doesnt have built in compatible drivers for that video card?

(did your dads PC boot up OK after you put his drive back in?)

The HDD from your dads PC most likely wouldnt boot due to different hardware/drivers/chipset/etc...

Yeah my dads PC booted up after I put his drive back in. I guess probably the best thing to do is wait 'till my HDD comes. I think you're right the problem with Ubuntu must be the graphics drivers because other people have been having the game problem with the same card.

dbwillis said:

This is exactly why that HD didn't work in that computer. Most of the time when you take a drive with windows XP installed on it and try to put it into a completly different rig it will bluescreen and reboot over and over and over and....... you get the point.

Back