OS and Mobo

haadij404

2[H]4U
Well I am currently selling my old computer components so I can upgrade and I sold my motherboard and now i have to ship it. Is it okay if I just use an older mobo without a fresh install of the OS (i am using XP home). When I finally get all my new components I will do a fresh install, but is it ok switching between mobos without a fresh install?

Most likely your windows OS will not boot if you switch the mobo. You will probably need to reinstall if you swap it.

I guess its okay, I just switched the mobo. everything seems to working...got all the drivers for the mobo set. XP found the rest of the hardware. so yeah it works. im using such a crappy intel p4 board...1.8ghz proc that supports agp 4x!!! its okay...i think the 1gb ram is helping out.

As long as the chipsets are similar (made by same company is good enough usually), you shouldn't have too many problems moving back and forth. You can run into problems moving from say, Via to Nvidia or Intel though. That's usually when I have to just bite the bullet and reinstall Windows.

Back