orthodynamic headphones are a cheap alternative to STAX.

kool bubba ice

Limp Gawd
Ortho's are also planar headphones, and seem to share some of the same qualties minus the price. You can find some used and new on Ebay for 35-250. I just ordered a 78 vintage pair myself, and will give gaming impressions. I do know that one of their strength is detail, which is always good for gaming.. In comparison, Stax headphones will cost you between 200-6,000, plus you need a special driver for it. More Cha Ching. I though I'd throw this out there..They could offer the best for the buck over more expensive dynamics.

You mean special amp right?

What do you think about Yamaha orthodynamic headphones? Do you have any experiences with them?
No, but they seem to be highly regarded.. I just ordered a vintage Techies orthordynamic headphone.. Will see how it performs for gaming.

I use Yamaha YH-100 Orthodynamic headphones for music and gaming and must say I can't go back to anything else. They're from the 80s, but as you'll notice, good headphones are good headphones. I'm not an audiophile, but they sound better than my 2.1 system and have great sound reproduction at all frequencies afaik. Great "real" bass for war games, movies, music. They're plugged into an X-Fi xtremegamer.

Old news to me, but when I looked into this I had a really hard time actually finding any of this "always on eBay for cheap" stuff.

It also didn't help that there was a lot of debate about which models were and were not actually ortho drivers.

I still have my Monsoon computer speakers which are planar. I should strap them to my head and see how they sound as headphones. :)

Old news to me, but when I looked into this I had a really hard time actually finding any of this "always on eBay for cheap" stuff.

It also didn't help that there was a lot of debate about which models were and were not actually ortho drivers.
You just need to keep checking.. The only one I see now is the Y100 for 250, which is a buit much..

I found a set of Fostex T20v1 orthos at a flea market for $9 in pristine condition about a week ago. I bought it on a whim without actually knowing what they were because they have almost no markings. I found out what I got myself into after about an hour on google. In the end, I'm actually really enjoying the sound. Kinda hard to drive these phones though.

I heard the Fosex T50 and the Yamaha 1000 are the tops for orthodynamic headphones. I just hope my 78 Technic 810 sound good to me.

From what I've read about the new T50's is that they sound different/worse than the originals that were made in the late 70's and early 80's. The original T50's weren't sold to the public, so they weren't mass produced either. You'd be very lucky to find a pair but they won't come cheap.

I just remembered that my bsg cmoy has a high gain jumper and boy did that help bring out more detail with my T20v1's. I need some tubes :/

Back