Origin: Wing Commander 3 On The House

I've still got the CDs I bought in 1997 for this, and the DVD-ROM of WC4 that came with the PC I bought at the same time, a Compaq Presario 4860.

All that being said, I remember really enjoying WC Privateer, but not caring much for the rest of the series.

I sold my original WC3 and WC4 cd's years ago. I picked this up since it's free, but I haven't installed it yet. I have a pretty good idea what the graphics were like back then, and I don't know that I could tolerate doing the entire campaign again just for nostalgia's sake.

It runs in Dosbox so if you have problems its related to DOS emulation. It can be hit or miss. It works fine for me though.

I played it for a few hours yesterday.. my god the nostalgia.

Little story to share , when I was about 15 there was a Tornado that touched down near where I lived and it destroyed part of the town and as it so happens the local power relay station was their and it knocked out my power for about 5 or 6 days. I was right at the end of the game when I lost power during the storm and I was a cliff hanger (I won't spoil it) for the main character. Having to wait all those days to finally see the result of that cliff hanger was agony lol.

Pixels in the videos are so blocky they look like they were done with Minecraft :D:D

I recall there was a mod to use 3DO or PSX videos that looked a lot better.

They're giving away free stuff to get people to try Origin. This looks like some kind of weird old spaceship game and it might work for certain audiences too. The Sims 2 for free was the reason why I installed Origin again and tried it once more. The funny thing is that Origin is actually pretty much okay now and works a lot better than it did when I tried it a year or two ago. People are still holding onto their negative feelings about it from when it actually was sort of junky and EA is probably hoping to change those thoughts by getting people to try it again. They at least understand how bitter, resentful, and whiny their (ex)customers are and they know the best way to start a snowball of better feedback now that their client software is working well.

They're giving away free stuff to get people to try Origin. This looks like some kind of weird old spaceship game and it might work for certain audiences too. The Sims 2 for free was the reason why I installed Origin again and tried it once more. The funny thing is that Origin is actually pretty much okay now and works a lot better than it did when I tried it a year or two ago. People are still holding onto their negative feelings about it from when it actually was sort of junky and EA is probably hoping to change those thoughts by getting people to try it again. They at least understand how bitter, resentful, and whiny their (ex)customers are and they know the best way to start a snowball of better feedback now that their client software is working well.

Never, never dis Wing Commander! It was and will always be one of the best game series ever produced. :D

Never, never dis Wing Commander! It was and will always be one of the best game series ever produced. :D

Lol @ "weird old space game".

He must not have had a PC until a few years ago.

EVERYONE who played games on a PC at the time knew Wing Commander.

IMHO, the regular series were so-so, but Privateer was AMAZING.

Not everyone has to share your opinion about a video game. It's not the kind of game I think is worth playing. If it's something you enjoyed like a billion years ago when it was new, that's okay with me. But nowadays in a world dominated by mobile and casual games, it just comes off as kooky and weird. It'd be like watching something on cable or satellite TV instead of streaming it.

Not everyone has to share your opinion about a video game. It's not the kind of game I think is worth playing. If it's something you enjoyed like a billion years ago when it was new, that's okay with me. But nowadays in a world dominated by mobile and casual games, it just comes off as kooky and weird. It'd be like watching something on cable or satellite TV instead of streaming it.

Not suggesting everyone had to love it.

Just saying that if you had a PC and played games in the 90s you knew this game, and probably wouldn't consider it weird.

I was never particularly enamored with it myself, but it was huge and very influential at the time.

I found Wing Commander: Privateer (a spinoff which came out in 1994) fantastic though.

Zarathustra[H];1041013219 said:
Not suggesting everyone had to love it.

Just saying that if you had a PC and played games in the 90s you knew this game, and probably wouldn't consider it weird.

I was never particularly enamored with it myself, but it was huge and very influential at the time.

I found Wing Commander: Privateer (a spinoff which came out in 1994) fantastic though.

I was actually talking about the post above yours and didn't press the quote button thing-y. Sorry. :(

Back