Ordered an X-Fi Notebook!

I think that if you play games, this would be better:
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=205&product=10769

That X-Fi is an XtremeAudio which doesn't support EAX if I'm not mistaken, the Audigy 2 ZS however supports EAX up to 4.0.

The Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook also provides encompassing 7.1 surround sound for Dolby® Digital EX(1) as well as DTS-ES™(1) supported DVD movies; any DirectSound3D(1) games and CMSS 3D(1) virtualized 7.1 stereo music. Gamers will love the hardware accelerated EAX® 4.0 ADVANCED HD™(2) that not only brings games to life, but delivers maximum performance! Musicians will also enjoy true 24-bit recording and low latency ASIO support for the ultimate audio recording platform. Notebook audio just got very, very interesting!

(1) Supported in Windows XP only.
(2) Supported in Windows Vista™ via OpenAL.
 
Actually I had an A2ZS notebook in my last laptop. Unfortunately my M1210 is ExpressCard only and doesn't have PCMCIA.
 
According to this thread, Windows XP users are generally seeing EAX working with this card. Using OpenAL (required by Vista) seems to be more hit-or-miss.

As with the desktop 'XtremeAudio' and previous notebook parts, though, it's just EAX 1 through 4, and done 'in software' (IE., uses your CPU).
 
I got it today, but discovered it had no ASIO support :(. I'm going to try to return it, but if I can't, look for it on the for sale/wanted section soon.
 
Question.

Does the sound come out of your laptop's speakers somehow or do you have to connect external ones?
 
Back
Top